Miscellaneous Forum

flyingkiwi's Profile Photo

Danes v Swedes v Norwegians

by flyingkiwi Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 6:56 AM

How do the people of the Nordic Countries differ from each other? I'm curious to know other peoples thoughts on this?

What do the Danes think of the Swedish and vice-versa? How about the Norwegians? What are the national stereotypes?

Lets have a light hearted discussion about this please? I don't mean to offend anyone here! :-)

Fk

Quote & Reply
22 Replies
  • Lochlainn's Profile Photo

RE: Danes v Swedes v Norwegians

by Lochlainn Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 7:35 AM

Norwegians think they are superior to Swedes and hope they are superior to Danes, both views expressed frequently to the point that they reveal their inferiority complex.

Swedes know with a vengeance that they are superior to both Norwegians and Danes but out of a sense of social neighbourliness don't rub it in, to such an extent that they reveal their superiority complex.

Danes have tried out being superior to both Norwegians and Swedes in the past but have grown tired of it and have concentrated instead on producing beer, to the extent that their most complex problem (prior to certain humorous caricatures that went down like a lead balloon in some quarters) was how to maintain the standard of probably the best beer in the world (superior beer complex in other words).

RE: RE: Danes v Swedes v Norwegians

by Lochlainn Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 7:42 AM

The Norwegians are the tall scruffy ones. The Danes are the small scruffy ones. And the Swedes are a mixture of both tall and small scruffy ones dressed in suits.

• RE: RE: Danes v Swedes v Norwegians

by ruffen Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 7:50 AM

Bokmerke

• flyingkiwi's Profile Photo

by flyingkiwi Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 7:50 AM

LoL! I hate to think how tall the others are if you call the Danes the "short, scruffy ones". I was in Copenhagen last month and there were some GIANTS out there - even the women! ;-)

Fk

• beret's Profile Photo

by beret Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 8:01 AM

Can't say much about the Danes other than they play some good football. The Swedes sole purpose in life is to not lose to the English in football. Norway has Norge written on their football kit. (Where I come from, we refer to the butt crack above the beltline when plumber is working under your sink as norge...)

Obviously I need to know more.

Therefore I am leaving an ironhatwithhornsmark.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 8:40 AM

Vikingmark

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 9:18 AM

The three like to fight among themselves like siblings, but if they meet somewhere else in the world, they stick together and act like they're from the same country.
    Noticing a difference is hard for a stranger.
    A funny thing is from back when satellite TV was new; a Swedish channel was viewed in all three countries. There was a Danish ad on this Swedish channel that welcomed Norwegians to vacation in Denmark

by RobDavis Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 10:01 AM

OK, let's compare the contributions these countries have given the world...

Sweden gave us dynomite.
    Norway gave us aerosol spray cans.
    Finland gave us Finlandia vodka and mobile telephones.
    Denmark gave us Lego.

Ok, to sum it up, Sweden wants to blow up the world, Norway wants to destroy the ozone layer and scorch the world, Finland wants us to drive drunk while using our cell phones (deadly) and Denmark wants the world to step on hard sharp pieces of plastic while we walk around in our bare feet.

It's a tough call, but I'm going to say that Denmark is slightly less evil than the rest of those Nordic evil-doers.

• beret's Profile Photo

by beret Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 10:06 AM

Don't you mean stinky fish? (Which is why darth must use so much single malt to eat dinner)

by RobDavis Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 10:07 AM

You mean fish never died until Iceland started killing them?!? Damn, they truly are evil.
    ...and everyone gives us grief for killing a few doe-eyed seals.

• beret's Profile Photo

by beret Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 10:08 AM

Very scholarly, RD. With that kind of logic...lets look at Canada. They gave us hockey and Tim Hortons. It is okay to knock you front teeth out as long has you can be nourished by a big sticky bear claw and cup of coffee. Did I get that right?

by RobDavis Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 10:09 AM

yeth, that it correcth

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

by SLLiew Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 10:48 AM

"Nor way you can Finnish your Danish and your Swede potato."

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 11:17 AM

A very very bright Norwegian invented the paper clip! But I'm not sure were that fits into the big picture of the all-togethernes

Iceland invented getting away from family. Those that didn't invent that are still in Norway

Danes invented calling a cake from Vienna "Danish", so everybody would think it was....Danish

The Sweeds invented calling a small meatball "Sweedish meatballs" that in fact are Sweedish

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 12:19 PM

The paper clip?

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 12:31 PM

pfiew, you had me worried there.
    No those round things are not meatballs but round candy called Turkish Pepper. They were invented in Denmark

by Lochlainn Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 3:24 PM

"Swedes prefere staplers... Once they've made a decision they stick with it."

Sweden's rather peculiar behaviour after deciding that they were 'neutral' during WWII would rather suggest then that the country was experiencing an extreme staple shortage.

by Lochlainn Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 3:29 PM

Depends on what you mean. I've met some very NON neutral Swedes, believe me!

But I agree with you about their stickability. Such is a side effect of too much aerosol deodorant use, but it does mean that midget Swedes make excellent darts.

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 3:34 PM

The trouble with staplers is they run out of stapels. I hate it when that happens. Just imagine the moment when you in a hurry want to staple some papers together and nothing happens! It's a very frustrating moment...
    If the swedes invented that, then it must have been just to annoy us

• dnwitte's Profile Photo

by dnwitte Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 4:18 PM

OK, how does it go?
    Two each of Swedes, Norwegians, Finns and Danes are shipwrecked together.
    Quickly, the Danes form a collective which administers the Finns in chopping down some trees, then they get together with the Norwegians to make ships from the lumber, in which the Norwegians pilot them all to safety, leaving behind the Swedes, who are still waiting for somebody to introduce them to each other.
    Or something like that.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

by SLLiew Online Now Apr 4, 2006 at 6:57 PM

They are all the same... (read below)

"During the seventh and eighth centuries, the Swedes were merchant seamen well known for their far-reaching trade. In the ninth century, Nordic Vikings raided and ravaged the European Continent as far as the Black and Caspian Seas. During the 11th and 12th centuries, Sweden gradually became a unified Christian kingdom that later included Finland. Queen Margaret of Denmark united all the Nordic lands in the "Kalmar Union" in 1397. Continual tension within the countries and within the union gradually led to open conflict between the Swedes and the Danes in the 15th century. The union's final disintegration in the early 16th century brought on a long-lived rivalry between Norway and Denmark on one side and Sweden and Finland on the other."

P/S "Smart Alec" is more politically correct.

• northsea's Profile Photo

by northsea Online Now Apr 5, 2006 at 4:46 AM

The Swedes invented the toilet seat and the Norwegians made a hole in it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines