Zürich Travel Answers

change location
Sin_De_Vil's Profile Photo

Comfortable and Safe Airplanes

by Sin_De_Vil Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hi...traveling to Zurich from Ohio in mid February, which airplane is the most comfortable for travel...airbus operated by Swiss, Boeing 737 and 767 operated by United, or the one operated by American. The American one has mixed reviews. It's a much smaller plane and its a 13 hr trip.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • explore_discover's Profile Photo

Re: Comfortable and Safe Airplanes

by explore_discover Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

737 is narrow body aircraft and not so comfortable for medium or long haul. I will prefer if its Airbus 330 (200 or 300 variants) 767 is wide body but old aircraft

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I would chose a European airline over a US carrier just because the cabin service on US carriers is abysmal. I haven't flown AA in years and my past experiences with United were not great. You won't see a 737 operating on a trans-Atlantic route; these are short haul aircraft.

• explore_discover's Profile Photo

by explore_discover Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I guess the 737 is from the regional airport to the Hub with in the USA
    United is operating from Cleveland to Toronto on a very Old Dash -8 and onward to Zurich on 767
    SWISS on 737 from Cleveland to Chicago ORD on 737 (2h 35m) and then A330 to Zurich 8h 45 m flight Total Time 12 h 45 m including 2h 35m layover in Chicago

And its almost similar prices with 1 stop within US/Canada

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Unless there still is the non-stop flight by Delta from Cincinnati to ZRH, you will have to change en route. Either you fly a short-haul a/c (prabably a narrow-body 737, A319/320/321 etc) to a US hub, then a wide-body from NYC,ORD,BOS across the Atlantic to ZRH (767, 777 or A330). Or else you fly from a US airport to a European hub (always on wide-body), then end up on a narrow-body short-haul flight to ZRH.
    Don't worry about the narrowe-body's, as you will not fly un this a/c for more than 2 hrs. The trans-atlantic flight, however, will take 6-8 hours, so leg space will be of a cetrain importancve, especially for long-legged and/or wide-bodies passangers. So I suggest you select your plane and seat online under:
    http://www.seatguru.com/
    If food is of importance to you, don't expect toom much on any airline, unless you fly buisness or first class.
    For private travel, I personally select an airline on the base of fare and total travel time. When it comes to airlines, passenger satisfaction varies from Exceelent to Poor for almost any airline, it just depends on what flight you are...and particularly in which class you fly. You find (pretty unreliable) ratings on internet.

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

And beware of codesharing: A flight with a SEISS-flight number (LX) could be a Lufthansa, SAS, United or any codeshare partner's aircraft.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

by kenHuocj Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

i have to agree with you, better service all round. my favourite is still Air France, but they like Yo yos, up for a few year, then down and up and down

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Take the LX codeshare with UA to Chicago and then the LX flight from there. LX will out does UA any day of the week.

• matjung's Profile Photo

by matjung Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Like at all airlines, the in board service quality at Swiss is also going dowwn.
    But you can expect to get a peace of chocolate when you leave the aircraft in Zürich.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines