Zion National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Las vegas how many miles to go?

Bryce Canyon National Park Mar 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

From Las Vegas to Bryce Canyon,how long it will take me?

more
    • September 2014 PC events?

Park City Apr 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I live in Salt Lake, and have friends coming to visit in September 2014. We are staying up at PCMR, and I am looking for ideas as to activities, etc. I can't find any festival, etc. calendars out for that far ahead. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.

more
    • mrsdoc83's Profile Photo

getting to Moab

Moab Apr 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

My husband will be going to Moab for a conference and I'm helping with the travel itinerary.

We fly from out of state and I wonder if there is a major airport closer than Salt Lake City (yes, I am doing more research on this myself, now, too) --

Also, once we get to the major airport of choice, what is the best driving route to get into Moab?

Thanks!
      C

more
    • 2 weeks trip from Zion to southern california

Utah Mar 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Hi there,

I am planning a trip for September 2014 for 2 weeks, we are a French couple in our 40's. we would like to mix our holidays with some hiking and then some rest /visiting the southern coast of California. We know pretty well Northern California. In France we are based in the French Alps.
      I have a main itinerary in mind but would appreciate few pointers to adjust the logistic/itinerary.
      First week we would like to concentrate our visit to Zion Park & Bryce, couple of days each to have a fair amount of time for hiking.
      Then we would like to drive off from Las Vegas to L.A and possibly go down to San Diego.
      So first question : I was wondering if I should take a flight from Paris to Las Vegas or Salt lake city ?
      Looking at the map if I we start off from Las vegas, we would drive up to Zion and Bryce and go back down by more or less the same route. Would it be more interesting to land in Salt lake and drive down to Zion, Bryce and then to Las vegas etc ...
      Secondly : 1 week ish would be sufficient to visit the coast from Santa Barbara to San Diego ? ( not having to rush around)
      Are we trying to fit too many things or drive too much over two weeks ?
      Many thanks in advance for your ideas !

more
    • Making the most of it

by Midit Online Now Sep 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Hi,

we are a couple (50-60s). we are planning 3 days for both Zion N.P & Bryce Canyon:.

we will be driving from LV Oct-19 early am (how early should we leave?) thru Oct-21. Can you please advise how to make the most of our short time?

should we make hotel reservations in advance or can we "wing it" when we are there? appreciate your input.

Midit

6 Answers Oct 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM
    • Zion N.P & Bryce Canyon

by Midit Online Now Sep 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

We are a couple in our 50s travelling to the States next month. Our itinerary allows for 3 days to cover Zion N.P & Bryce Canyon
      Travelling from Vegas on Oct. 19th-20th-21st plan to return to visit. Maybe extend to the 22nd? Please advise how to make the most of our stay? please advise accommodations.

Thank you!

12 Answers Oct 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    • What to wear in September

by RuthEL Online Now Sep 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

My daughters and I will be hiking in Zion with a guide from Red Mountain Resort (first time in the area and novice hikers!) on Sept. 27. I am wondering what to wear as far as shorts/workout type capris, etc. I don't want to get too warm and am not sure of the weather at that time of year. I have a Camelback type hydration pack & backpack; I know hat, sunscreen, snacks are musts; any other advice you can give will be appreciated. Thank you.

7 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    • subway hike

by corkatz Online Now Sep 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

which shuttle to take for the Subway hike? and from where?

4 Answers Sep 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    • Itinerary help for Bryce and Zion - 4 days in October

by LRogal Online Now Jul 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM

My friend and I are arriving in Vegas (mid day) on October 11 and have 4 days for Bryce and Zion and then 4 days in Sedona. Would it be better to go to Bryce or Zion first (given that we are heading to Sedona on day 4)? Any other places we should stop - Capital Reef? Moab (is that even possible). How many nights at Bryce? How many at Zion? Stay in the park at Zion or in Springdale? We want to do alot of hiking. Thanks very much for any advice! My first visit to forum and love reading all the answers. Thanks!

4 Answers Jul 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Itinerary Help Request for Zion, Bryce, and maybe Capitol Reef

by swdke Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Will be arriving Las Vegas on a Friday, early in the morning, 9 AM, in early April, and plan to begin a 4 night visit of Bryce Canyon, Zion Nat'l Park, and maybe Capitol Reef. Traveling will be myself and my Mother, age 73. I am aware that there may be many great hikes, but Mom's not much of a day hiker. Scenic walks okay, but that's about it. Given this, what would be a suggested itinerary for visiting these areas? We will be departing four nights later on a Tuesday, and need to return the car by 2 PM. Figured we would spend the last night in Zion and make the 3 hr. drive back to LAS Tuesday morning. So, that gives us from Friday after our early morning flight arrives, all day Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday returning to LAS. What is recommended with where to stay each evening, and what to do each day? Though 1/2 day and full day hikes may be out, we do like to be kept busy, with the intention of spending long full days seeing/doing as much as possible. Looking for suggested itineraries that will keep us busy, an enable us to see as much as possible. Thanks for your help, advice and suggestions.

5 Answers Mar 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM
    • Weather in Bryce/ Zion National Park

by lbdugan Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

How is the weather end of March?

4 Answers Feb 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    • daleckj's Profile Photo

7 day Zion trip in Sept.

by daleckj Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Ok, I am planning a trip to Zion National Park in mid Sept for 7 days. Actually our trip length is 9 days,so that leaves us 7 whole days to explore. We plan on doing the Narrows top down hike, also will most def want to do Angels Landing, What other hikes are a must. Also Where are the best places to camp. We are going our best to make this a cheap trip and camp out every night. We are both experienced hikes here in the Mid Atlantic.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I do not like going places with out a plan to go by. Thanks for any and all help.

PS: this will be my first time hiking in such dry conditions, I am used to woods and streams every where.

8 Answers Jul 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    • orke's Profile Photo

The Subway Hike

by orke Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

today i got an email telling me i got the permit to hike the subway, now i have a very important decision to make - do i want to go Round Trip from Left Fork(bottom) Trailhead or do i want to go top down (from Wildcat to Left Fork Trailhead)

has anyone done and can tell me the differences? i know that the top down require some swims (we r fine with this - i actually want this part) and some short rappels (never done it but generally we r in good shape so if this route is so much better i will go with this and learn to do it before we go or something)

the round trip one is under sun most of way which can be sucks

but main question is if one of the trails is more spectacular than the other in your opinion?

thanks

8 Answers Jul 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    • 5 Days Utah/Az... Itinerary Help Wanted

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Hey folks, kinda having a hard time hashing out an itinerary for this trip any input is appreciated. Leaving Vegas on a Monday in early August, and need to be back in Vegas by Friday night. My rental car tires should be on the road by noon. Im thinking about driving doing a mojave scenic loop drive (the idea is to see the desert) and then trying to make my way toward the Zion area that night, crashing somewhere between Vegas and Zion.

This is where things get fussy, at bare minimum Id like to see Zion, Bryce, and N. RIm of G.C.. Three parks, three days. If I start driving Tuesday (again, I'd like to be 'somewhere' between Vegas and Zion, what would be by my best route? Or... would I be better off using the 'home base option? I plan to see at least 1 sunrise. Scenic drives are a major plus.

The last dilemma I suppose is that if I do the '3 parks, 3 days,' that really only takes me through Thursday night. Any other great ideas to chew up that extra time and still get me back into Vegas on Friday night ? (My hunch was to sleep Thurs night near Zion and do Zion on Friday, leaving at about 5/6 for a red eye flight).

Thanks in advance for all responses.

27 Answers Aug 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    • Irina80's Profile Photo

Zion hiking around Labor Day

by Irina80 Online Now Aug 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Greetings!
      Does Zion really get as packed and crowded during holidays particularly around Labor Day as they claim on nps.gov? Does anyone know if it's totally hopeless to try and get backpacking permits the day before for popular treks such as The Narrows? Do the park campgrounds get all booked up as well? any chance of getting a camping spot once there, with no reservations? i would've booked online if there was anything available. i know though they hold some amount of permits/camp sites for walk-ins. How early should one actually "walk in" to the park in order to have a chance of getting anything (backpack permits, etc.)?

14 Answers Aug 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    • opps--bryce to yosemite

by gapiffy Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM

my last post should have said we are travelling early to mid december

• zion to san fran

by gapiffy Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM

would it be wise to stay at a place like st george to do bryce and zion and tht way just park ourselves near both for a couple of nights and just travel to both ?
      also from bryce/zion we will be traveling to yosemite and onto san fran -- any travelling tips -- we are now happy not to do death valley(though if some were included that would be good) -- so i guess up the western side of the mountain range -- how far can we get from thebryce/zion NPs to that side -- where are some nice places to stay /places of interest etc we would hope to stay one night on the way and then onto yosemite and onto San fran for the next night or maybe we need another night in thaere somewhere -- once again so happy for any input.

5 Answers Aug 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    • Only 8 hours in park--need itinerary help

by kcowley Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM

My husband and I only have 8 hours in Zion (our 1st and possibly only time there) on July 7th before the start of a family reunion in Cedar City that night. I'm 50, 40 lbs. overweight and only in fair shape despite going to the gym a few times a week but would like to attempt the Angel's Landing hike as soon as we get to the park, arriving by 8:30 am. How much water should I pack for the hike (I'll be hauling it in bottles and am concerned about the extra weight)? How much time RT should we allott with I'm assuming a need for frequent rest stops on Walter's Wiggles--to go as far as Scout's Landing; to go all the way to Angel's Landing? After Angel's Landing I was thinking it might be nice to take the easy riverside walk to the mouth of the Narrows and walk up them a bit. Would we have much time to do so in our limited time period? I can borrow a walking stick from someone but am wondering what to do with it on Angel's Landing or if most people would be honest and not steal it if I just left it behind at Scout's Landing. Also, if I do both, would it be best to wear hiking boots to Angel's Landing and carry shoes I don't mind getting wet (again, extra weight) for the Narrows? I'm losing sleep over these decisions. If you have answers to the above ?s or suggestions for a better way to schedule our day, I'd love to hear them.

2 Answers Jun 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    • Zions in March

by gundygyrl Online Now Feb 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

My family and I are trying to plan a early vacation and would like to know what we can do in Zions during the month of March. I am from northern Utah, but I have never been to Zions and I don't really know how the weather is in March for southern Utah. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you

2 Answers Feb 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    • Zion vs Bryce horse ride

by bshiv999 Online Now May 20, 2010 at 6:50 AM

I'll be visiting Zion and Bryce parks in September and want to take a horse ride. Any recommendations which park would be the best and should I do a 1 hr ride or a 4 hr ride (this will be my 3rd time on a horse). All suggestions appreciated.

2 Answers May 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    • mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Best time to hike the narrows

by mmyerspa Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I'm planning a southern Utah trip that will include a hike in the Narrows. What is the best time of year to do this? I had been thinking about early June, then heard that September might be better (can't remember why...water level, chance of rain, cold water in spring...?).

10 Answers May 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    • Zion in December?

by writegirl18 Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM

We have to be in Flagstaff, AZ on business in early December and I would LOVE to continue on to Zion and Bryce or a few days. What can we expect the week of December 7th? Is it usually snowy? Icy? Too cold?

We live in New England so it's not a trip we can just take on a whim (we have skiied in the Salt Lake area but that is an easy reach by air, unlike southern Utah).

Thank you!

3 Answers Oct 27, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    • Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyons

by justme1 Online Now Aug 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I am planning on visiting Las Vegas for 6 days and spend 3 days exploring the above-mentioned attractions. I am not planning on any heavy duty hiking, but one-hour trail walks may be in the itinerary. Here is my plan:

Day 1 - Leave Las Vegas at 7:30 am. Reach Zion National Park by 10:00 am. Enjoy the park until about 2:00 pm. Leave to go to Bryce Canyons. Reach Bryce by 4:00 pm. Enjoy rest of the day at the Park.

Day 2 - 7:00 am visit the park. Stay there until about 10:00 am. The either leave to see Zion National Park (if our visit the day before left us unsatisfied) or go directly to South Rim, Grand Canyons. It is approximately 5 hours to South Rim from Bryce Canyons. So we reach there by about 4:00 pm (including lunch break). Enjoy the south rim. Stay overnight.

Day 3 - 7:00 am go back to park. Enjoy until about 2:00 pm. Leave to go to Las Vegas. Reach by 7:00 pm.

What I wonder is is this too ambitious? I know that each of these places deserve at least a week of our time to thoroughly enjoy them. Unfortunately due to time restrictions, I do not have the luxury. Based on my past visits to these parks (25 years ago), I though my time would be best spent at Bryce and Grand Canyons compared to Zion.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Victor

15 Answers Jul 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    • rickd11's Profile Photo

Must see spots and things to do in Zion

by rickd11 Online Now Aug 8, 2009 at 6:29 AM

We (myself, my wife, and two kids .... 19 and 21) have one day in the park. We plan on doing the narrows, what else is a must see? I know ther are many.

2 Answers Aug 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    • Hiking with young 'uns

by galla1h Online Now Apr 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM

We want to take our famiy to Zions this year. We have never been there (I think this is a sin... living in Salt Lake for so many years!) We are looking for some trails we can take our 6 & 8 year olds on. Any ideas? We also have older children but I think we can find plenty for them to do! Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

4 Answers Apr 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    • Off Season Weather

by TnTsmama Online Now Jan 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM

My family usually visits Zion in May but would like to take advantage of the "off-season" hotel bargains this year. My question is this. . if we come the last weekend in February or very beginning of March will the weather prohibit outdoor activity? Our kids are little so we don't do any major hiking, just a few of the easy/moderate trails each day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
      THANKS

5 Answers Jan 25, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    • Recomendations for outfitter/tour guide for Subway?

by gryhound Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I am looking for a reputable guide to run the Subway at Zion, top down. I am an experienced hiker and did the Virgin Narrows solo last year along with some other slot canyon trips, but have no rappelling experience, nor does my wife. Any suggestions?

1 Answer Dec 6, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    • camilleaja's Profile Photo

Best hikes with child/teen ?

by camilleaja Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Hi !

we're going to Zion 3 days in July. What are the best hikes with our 11 and 13 children ?

We know it may be hot but we're used to the heat.
      Thanks !

Camilla

6 Answers Jul 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM
    • Tours from Las Vegas?

by karlthek Online Now May 19, 2008 at 1:53 PM

We will be in Vegas June 8-11 and plan to go to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park via one of the tours from Vegas. We found two: Incredible Adventures and All Las Vegas Tours. They are similar -- and suggestions or experience with either of these full day tours or others to both sites? We're not looking to hike excessively, mostly just take in the sites and shoot lots of photos.
      Thanks very much.

1 Answer May 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM
    • Hiking the Narrows Trial in Mid-April

by ericavil Online Now Dec 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM

We are going to be hiking in Zion around the 23rd of April. Will we be able to hike in the Narrows trail? Or will the water be too cold? When I tried to hike it in November a few years ago, we only made it about 1/2 mile before freezing our feet? Thanks for any advice.

4 Answers Dec 15, 2007 at 11:53 AM
    • lazyman_1's Profile Photo

Zion in March

by lazyman_1 Online Now Oct 7, 2006 at 1:25 PM

I will be visiting Zion this upcoming March and was wondering if anybody has been there this time of year? i visited the park last May and loved it. hopefully somebody can help becasue there are a few questions i can't seem to find answers to.
      1)I know the shuttle bus doesn't operate at this time of year so does that mean that you can drive you car into the canyon itself and if so, where do you park?

2)We'd really like to do some more hiking, like angels landing and/or the hidden canyon and were also wondering what the trail conditions would be like this time of year.
      I imagine the temperatures will be somewhere in the 60's (?)

Any help/advice that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.
      Adam

3 Answers Nov 2, 2006 at 5:45 PM
    • Zion in December

by Texasdle Online Now Jul 24, 2006 at 4:26 PM

We will be in Las Vegas for several days in December. We were thinking of taking a day trip to Zion. Has anyone been there in December? The shuttle does not seem to be running and the park hours are reduced. Is it worth the trip or will the roads be closed? Any help would be appreciated.

3 Answers Oct 14, 2006 at 11:50 PM
    • Permits

by Magsie-B Online Now May 22, 2006 at 3:01 AM

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of trying to obtain a walk-in permit for Zion Nataional Park? We are planning a trip in September and not sure whether to bother applying for permits from the UK before we go or taking our chances when we get there? Also visiting Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches too so again, any experience people have had regarding permits would be useful to hear about.

Many thanks.

Magsie

4 Answers Jun 18, 2007 at 12:51 PM
    • mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Where to stay outside Zion?

by mikehanneman Online Now Apr 9, 2006 at 5:12 PM

Xanterra is all booked up for mid September of 2006.

Where would a decent, somewhat inexpensive overnight option be? I don't want to get too far away from Zion.

I am from Iowa and will be in New Mexico mid-September. I will rent a car and drive to either the south or North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I wnat ot go to Page to see Antelope Canyon and then on to Zion.

Thanks for your help!

Mike In Iowa

7 Answers Jun 5, 2006 at 12:41 PM