Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location
daleckj's Profile Photo

7 day Zion trip in Sept.

by daleckj Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Ok, I am planning a trip to Zion National Park in mid Sept for 7 days. Actually our trip length is 9 days,so that leaves us 7 whole days to explore. We plan on doing the Narrows top down hike, also will most def want to do Angels Landing, What other hikes are a must. Also Where are the best places to camp. We are going our best to make this a cheap trip and camp out every night. We are both experienced hikes here in the Mid Atlantic.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I do not like going places with out a plan to go by. Thanks for any and all help.

PS: this will be my first time hiking in such dry conditions, I am used to woods and streams every where.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: 7 day Zion trip in Sept.

by goodfish Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Hi there -
    You've picked a GREAT time to go to Zion - just make sure you have camping reservations, OK? It's a popular park. Watchman is the favorite tent spot for most visitors (but doesn't have showers).

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/c...

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/w...

Sounds like you enjoy more challenging hikes? You might take a look at the Left Fork of Subway: the 9-mile, non-technical bottom route. Do you have some navigation skills?

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/l...

You will need a permit for that, as you will for the top-down Narrows hike:

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/t...

Other fun hikes available - you know your abilities better than I:

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/u...

With a week to spend, you might want to take a daytrip and run up to Bryce? It's an hour and 1/2 - 2 hour drive from Zion and a completely different landscape. Or maybe you've already done that one?

The bottom of Zion Canyon is not lacking in water (the Virgin river runs through it) or foliage - although you may not snag a spot with shade at the campsites. Do be aware that the area is in severe drought so NO wood or charcoal fires are currently allowed. Hopefully they'll see some rain long before your trip but I'd keep an eye on park update as this dry spell has been going on for awhile.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm#

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by goodfish Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Just in case you're interested, here's the park website for Bryce:

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

My apologies if you've already been there or simply don't wish to leave the Zion area on this trip.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Hi. We stayed in Zion Canyon Campground in Springdale, Utah and loved it. We got a tent site right on the river and under a lovely tree. Here's their web site: http://www.zioncamp.com/rv_park.html

If you want to venture about 2 hours south, you might enjoy Cedar Breaks National Monument. It is high so cool nearly all the time and as the name would indicate, it is full of beautiful, huge cedar trees. The views of the surrounding countryside are spectacular. It was our big surprise on our first trip west and we loved it. http://www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm

Enjoy your trip. September is usually a perfect time to visit.

• daleckj's Profile Photo

by daleckj Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have never been out hiking out west. We are vey excited to do this new adventure. We had actually thought about Bryce. It looks amazing.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Bryce is amazing. They are all amazing. Yosemite out here in California is green and tree-covered too. Lots of trips to put on your wish list.

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Check out this campsite as one option...
    stateparks.utah.gov/parks/ko...
    It's really nice, good facilities (showers!), wonderful views. Also close to Bryce so you can use it as a base if you decide to go there.

In Zion, we camped at Watchmans which was nice, though basic facilities. Very close to Springdale though where you can get a shower/laundry/wifi.
    Outside of the usual hikes we did one over I think on the East side which was in amongst the slot canyons, that was very interesting. (you may get a guided ranger walk there too) There was also a look out point on that side of the tunnel that was great for photos and we saw a family of Big Horn Sheep.
    There are lots of popular walks in the valley and you can take advantage of the bus service to get around.

by goodfish Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Yes, Kodachrome Basin has a great little campground and some nice hiking if wanting to spend some time in the Bryce area. It is about 25 miles from the campground there to the main section of the national park.

I see you're from Maryland, and it sounds like you're flying - I assume in/out of Vegas? Are you hauling all your camping stuff WITH you or planning to rent gear from an outfitter?

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

You might want to try the East Mesa Trail over to Observation Point and then down to the main canyon. For that you'd need a shuttle to the trailhead. You could also hike from the bottom up and then back down again- no shuttle needed for that.

The West Rim trail is fantastic, and basically off most peoples radar. It is best if done from Lava Point (where there is camping available) and then as a two day hike with camping on Horse Plateau. There are half the campsites left for walk in permits,,, just check about it when you first arrive. Problem being that again it is a one way hike so a shuttle would be needed, and that does tend to add up the expense. You could attempt it as a long and tough one day hike from the main canyon (Angel's Landing is actually an off shoot of this trail). The West Rim trail continues past the turn off to Angel's Landing. If you can get up on top of the plateau for the views into the Great West Canyon you will have your reward.

Be sure to carry and drink lots of water and have salty foods to replenish what you sweat out. Otherwise you'll enjoy the desert for hiking.

Camping for Bryce is best at the North Campground. Love it! I believe there are some first come first served sites there so definitely worth checking it out.
    Lots more to see and do, but I love hiking in Zion and a week is not enough for me.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines