Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location

5 Days Utah/Az... Itinerary Help Wanted

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Hey folks, kinda having a hard time hashing out an itinerary for this trip any input is appreciated. Leaving Vegas on a Monday in early August, and need to be back in Vegas by Friday night. My rental car tires should be on the road by noon. Im thinking about driving doing a mojave scenic loop drive (the idea is to see the desert) and then trying to make my way toward the Zion area that night, crashing somewhere between Vegas and Zion.

This is where things get fussy, at bare minimum Id like to see Zion, Bryce, and N. RIm of G.C.. Three parks, three days. If I start driving Tuesday (again, I'd like to be 'somewhere' between Vegas and Zion, what would be by my best route? Or... would I be better off using the 'home base option? I plan to see at least 1 sunrise. Scenic drives are a major plus.

The last dilemma I suppose is that if I do the '3 parks, 3 days,' that really only takes me through Thursday night. Any other great ideas to chew up that extra time and still get me back into Vegas on Friday night ? (My hunch was to sleep Thurs night near Zion and do Zion on Friday, leaving at about 5/6 for a red eye flight).

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Quote & Answer
27 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: 5 Days Utah/Az... Itinerary Help Wanted

by cgf Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM

a lot of road to drive looking for only one place as base for '3 parks, 3 days'
    Anyway this "somewhere" could be Kanab but I would suggest to go straight to Springdale, UT from Las Vegas, there free shuttle to Zion Park. have first night there and then following day to bryce and go to sleep close to North Rim, check jackob lake if they still have rooms or cabin, www.jacoblake.com
    btw in spite you are at HWY 89A & AZ-67 you still need almost on hour to GC
    then you can go back to rest yourself to LV :)

if I were you I would leave LV very early in the morning, before 6 am (and it'll be already very hot in August!) you have more time for Zion Park. Beside I would keep at least 2 nights close to North Rim, at least going back to LV after a good sleep.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

of course the itinerary could be done viceversa )

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I remember a member that was trying to do what you are in only 2 days/one overnight stay so you're in a better place with three. :) What with almost all day Friday to use, you really have 3 and 1/2 days.

A couple of concerns I have right off the bat: do you really want to do the Mohave in August? The heat is going to be BRUTAL: there's a reason why they call the park there Death Valley! Visitors most often do that one during the winter when it's considerably more bearable. Las Vegas will also be miserable, and Bryce/Zion will be very, very warm as well.

My other concern is accommodations at/near any of the three parks you mention. They book up MONTHS in advance of High Season so, IMHO, how you arrange this trip may depend on where you can find open rooms at this late date. I wouldn't try to do this without advance reservations as you could get out there and end up stuck without a bed.

With that in mind, there are numerous ways to do it. Here are some approx. driving distance between Vegas and the three parks:

Vegas to Zion: 3. 25 hours
    Zion to Bryce: 1.5 - 2 hours
    Bryce to the North Rim - 4 hours
    Grand Canyon North Rim to Vegas - 5 hours (depending on where in Vegas)

Knowing you need to be back in Vegas Friday night, you probably want to be at the park closest to the city - which would be Zion.

Springdale (near Zion) is a good place to try and find accommodations for Monday night, or you could also try St. George (85 miles from Bryce).

Tuesday morning, scoot up to Bryce and spend the night IF you can. try Ruby's Inn, (http://www.rubysinn.com/) There is also a park lodge at Bryce but it's likely booked up. Here are some other options near the park:

nationalparkreservations.com...

If all else fails, try Tropic - tiny town but has some rooms (we've stayed there.) Nearby Kodachrome St. Park (really nice park with some good hiking) also has some cabins:

http://www.redstonecabins.com/

Early Wed. make the drive to the North Rim and stay overnight. This is going to be your biggest challenge as far as finding a hotel as it only has one lodge and is a long way from anywhere. As suggested, you could try the motel at Jacob Lake - that website again:

http://www.jacoblake.com/

Thursday, take in the sunrise and more of the park, then make your way to Zion in the afternoon: stay overnight either at the lodge or in Springdale - wherever you can get a bed.

Friday: spend more time at the park and then drive back to Vegas.

This could be done in reverse or maybe even inside-out with longer drives to Vegas on Friday.

• Re: 5 Days Utah/Az... Itinerary Help Wanted

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've already started looking into the hotels listed and am really not having too much difficulty finding rooms... but that could change any minute, so Ill book fast.

As for the heat of the Mojave in August, we weren't really looking to do Death Valley. I saw a great little circle trip from Vegas through Baker, Kelso, Cima, and Primm and back to Vegas and that was what I was thinking. Mostly in the car, mostly out of the heat. Still a bad idea?

by VRTravel Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

We love staying in St. George, UT which is right on the border of Utah. It's a beautiful town, plenty of food, outlets, activities, and a little more than an hour away from Zion which would be perfect to get there. When you go to Zion I definitely recommend hiking the Narrows (it's long but even if you do an hour to two in and out it is so gorgeous) and Angel's Landing.

by goodfish Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

OK, so you're looking at the Mojave National Preserve area:

http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm

I haven't been there but it's 105 today at Kelso, and early August averages are between 107 and 109 degrees. Personally, I wouldn't do it but then, I'm a hiker who hates to spend all day in the car, and that's just too hot for this girl! :O)

I'm also a fan of higher desert so maybe this just isn't my thing. Having seen the landscape around Zion, Bryce and the North Rim, I'd choose color and vegetation of any of those over the Mojave in high summer. But let's see what some others of our members advise? Don't want to sway a decision based on my personal likes/dislikes, OK?

by goodfish Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Just to add, it would be helpful to know how you intend to visit the parks? Are you a hiker or are you mostly planning on seeing what you can from the rims and/or scenic drives?

For instance, I have done the Narrows at Zion and it's fantastic (my profile page shot was taken there) but your opportunity is totally dependent on the forecast: it's a no-go with rain in or near the canyon or upstream of the Virgin. Angels is also a big park favorite BUT only if you have no fear of heights. A hike down into Bryce or a few miles into the GC on a couple of recommended trails is also great but only if you like to put boots to the ground. Otherwise, there are very nice shorter walks, hikes and drives in all of these places.

So, a little insight would help us offer up some good ideas?

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Sounds like a great itenerary as I have done the same route before and just enjoy the sites. I would jusst take the time and take in the beauty and find a hotel near Zion to stay over night, the other nights I would wing it and see where I wander and stay a little longer on the sp[ots you like. I wouldn't wander too far from your flight departure. may be find some good eats in Vegas before your departure.

cheers tommy x

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Thanks again everybody, this sit really is incredible, i used it one other time in the past and everyone was super helpful then too.

As for the type of travel I (we) are... to be honest, its complicated, lol. Here is some backgrounding to make a bit more sense. Before the Zion/Bryce/N. RIm trip discussed here my fiance and I (30 years old) are doing a bunch of traveling. We leave our house in Naples, Fl on July 21 and are doing Vegas for two nights (xymmot mentioned the cuisine in Vegas, something we are already planning because we are big time foodies), and then after Vegas we head to Maui/Oahu on the 23rd and returning on the 6th of August to Vegas and thats where the itinerary under discussion starts. This is sort of a honeymoon for us since I am graduating next year from law school and we don't anticipate having any time to vacation after the wedding.

Anyway, we are both into outdoors and are fitness geeks. However, my mom and my aunt are meeting up with us for the Zion/Bryce/N. Rim trip and I don't anticipate them being too enthusiastic about hiking much, but we have no problem splitting up for parts of the day. That said, my mother is an avid photographer and thats what really drew her into the mix.

As for the Mojave trip... heat is heat. I've never been to the desert SW, however I've lived in Naples for about 6 years now and feel like my fiance and I can tolerate heat well, its usually about 90 here every day with high humidity. What's that they always say about 'dry heat?' Regardless, mojave at 107 seems like it may be a touch warm and thats why we had all intentions of staying in the car for the most part. I suppose something that we really need to play according to how we feel about it that day. I just really have these 'dreams' about driving through the desert and seeing Saguros and the like.

Working on booking something in the N. Rim before the night is through as those seem to be the most sought after. Current idea for itinerary seems to be something like Mojave on Monday, sleeping near Zion on Monday night. Having a full day in Zion on Tuesday and driving toward the Bryce region on Tuesday night (St. George?). Doing Bryce on Wednesday and making our way toward the N. Rim. The plan would be to spend Wednesday and Thursday night in one of the suggested N. Rim accommodations. That would give us a full day in the N. Rim, with the possibility of seeing a Friday morning sunrise and then making our way back to Vegas. That puts us in Vegas at around 1pm at the latest on Friday with the day for my mom and aunt to see Vegas and enjoy some fine dining options. I spose we could drive on Thursday night back to near Zion and catch a Friday sunrise there to make it an even quicker trip back to Vegas. (i believe I read somewhere that there is an amazing sunrise spot traveling west into zion...?).

Thanks again to everyone, all the input has been nothing short of spectacular.

by goodfish Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

OK, that helps - thanks! It's really hard when you don't know who you're talking to: you may have been 75 and traveling alone for all I knew. :O)

But yes, I see now why your trip in a little complex. Not too bad, though - sounds as if you'll work in some boots time here and there. Great hiking out there!

Sure, you can do the trip the way you have it laid out - was trying to have you nearer to Vegas on that last day than father away but whatever works!

St George is not on the way to Bryce from Zion though (look at a map). You're going to want to take 9 east out of Zion to Mt. Carmel Junction (great little gas station/convenience store there with a really nice ladies room - if it's still there) and then head north on 89 to 12, and then east to Bryce. That stretch of 9 out of Zion is really scenic. So you're going to want to stay in Springdale - just outside of Zion - or go all the way to Bryce.

I'm not sure if you'll see any saguaro in the Mohave either as those are mainly around the Sonoran Desert, around Tucson and Phoenix. You will see some joshua tree though. Why don't you google up 'Mohave National Preserve' and hit 'images' - take a look at what that landscape looks like? The NPS site I sent you has some images too.

Hmmm - sunrise at Zion... It's sunSET over the Watchman that I remember being killer. This is what is looks like - wish my own shot had been this good!

flickr.com/photos/nikonnight...

by goodfish Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Sorry - just thought of something else: I remember some places to stay along the way to Bryce on 89 and 12 but I don't recall the names of any of them off the top of my head - maybe the info I gave you earlier will help?

Since there's an interest in photography....
    Bryce is hardest to shoot midday (like a lot of outdoor shots are) 'cause the overhead sun bleaches everything out and makes the hoodoos sort of flat. It's best for shutterbugs early or late in the day when you get some depth and more intense color. We were, of course, NOT there for those times!!

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Great Great Great. Thanks.

Ill definitely send word to my mom about the photography.

As for that last day, I think we are going to make out way closer to Vegas since I only booked one night on Wednesday the 8th at Jacobs Lake. 2 Rooms, across the hall from one another... not bad.

I suppose I really should hash out the beginning part of this trip before I make any more decisions to make sure that we really want to do the Mojave. Thanks again.

by goodfish Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

LOL, I just realized that I've misspelled Mojave a kazillion times. Oops. Maybe I'd better head off to bed.

Sounds like you're heading back to Vegas on Thursday then? Or trying to book Thursday night somewhere else? Glad you at least have one night booked - I honestly thought you were going to have some difficulty there.

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I just thought Mohave was a nickname!! Take Care

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

....its usually about 90 here every day with high humidity

Last August I left Las Vegas towards Zion P. around 6am and it was already almost 100F...

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

well.. last year it's been quite hot...

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM

This sounds doable to me. It is a lot of driving but you sound like you understand that. With this in mind I like to see things well rather than rushed. Really try to get at least one sunrise on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

You are right heat is heat. It is the downside to august travel in the southwest we just focus activity at the ends of the day and take a shady break mid-day. It will be much drier than Naples for sure. This mitigates the heat a quite a bit.

Kate has given you some excellent and detailed advice. I would just like to add that you keep a gallon or two of water per person in your vehicle at all times. The distances you will be crossing are vast and very dry. God forbid that you have a mechanical malfunction it may be some time before you get things sorted. Having water can make what might be a disaster into a little adventure.

Have a great time in a great place,

Randy

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 4:48 AM

>> be much drier than Naples for sure..

rangers suggest to drink and drink and drink [water, of course]!!

by CDobbers Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the tips in the last few postings.

Hotel bookings are done, I hope I did ok. I played with the itinerary for days, but I ended up opting for early mornings and more day driving over night driving.

Here is the current itinerary:

Monday - Leaving Vegas around noon. Not sure where we are going to go yet on the first day, veering away from the Mojave idea tho. Suggestions are welcome.
    Lodging Monday Night - St. George. Dixie Palm Motel (great reviews on Trip Advisor).
    Tuesday - Drive to Bryce and do Bryce and if there is time, the grand escalante national monument.
    Lodging Tuesday Night - Panguitch. New Bryce Western Inn. Seemingly not the greatest place on earth, but everything was TOTALLY booked in the Bryce and surrounding areas.
    Wednesday - Drive to and explore the North Rim.
    Lodging Wednesday - Jacob Lake Inn.
    Thursday - Drive to and explore Zion National Park.
    Lodging Thursday - Back to the 'ol Dixie Palm Motel.
    Friday - Sleep in and head back to Vegas. Explore the strip, have a nice dinner, and be to the airport by about 10pm.

Still unresolved:
    What to do on Day 1.
    Best route out of Grand Canyon to Zion? (I notice there are two options where the road splits at Fredonia. 89A goes North and is shorter. 389 goes West but is about 1/2 hour longer. Are either of these preferred?
    Any suggested dining options that come highly recommended?

As always, thanks! All feedback welcome.

by goodfish Online Now Jul 1, 2012 at 6:57 AM

OK, I figured you'd have to work around available accommodations. Your route is a tiny bit convoluted but it'll work.

>Tuesday - Drive to Bryce and do Bryce and if there is time, the grand escalante national monument.

I'm assuming you mean heading west on 12 through Tropic, Escalante, etc? We've done virtually all but a tiny section of that road, all the way to Torrey, and it's a honey but I'm sort of doubting you'll get too much done if driving from St George, doing Bryce and needing to stay in Panguitch. Lots of backtracking there. But hey, see what you can do.

As far Monday, you could do Red Rock Canyon a little west of Vegas:

vegas.com/attractions/outsid...

Or head east to Hoover Dam/Lake Mead:

http://www.nps.gov/lake/index.htm

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/

As far as getting to Zion from the canyon, I'd head out of the North Rim on 67 to 89A, then up to Kanab, where it turns into 89, and then head west on 9 at Mt Caramel Junction. As I posted before, that stretch of 9 into Zion is a scenic byway so not to be missed:

zionnational-park.com/sb9.ht...

utah.com/byways/zion_park.ht...

You may experience some delays at the tunnel as they need to stop traffic to let large RVs through (too narrow to accommodate more than 1 of those at a time) but it's a great drive.

"The Zion-Mount Carmel Highway, also known as Zion Park Scenic Byway, is the stretch of road (UT 9) between Mount Carmel and the south entrance of Zion National Park. If coming from Mount Carmel, enter the park by the east entrance and stop at the Checkerboard Mesa pull-off for a classic view of weathered sandstone with cross hatching. At the Canyon Overlook parking area there is trail access for a short one-mile jaunt to stretch your legs. Continue on the road and you'll pass through the narrow Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel and then close to the 400-foot Great Arch. Further on UT 9 you will reach the visitor center and the south entrance."

We've done the 389 route once and I don't recall it as particularly scenic. It does go through the polygamist hotbeds of Colorado City/Hildale but there's nothing to see there, trust me! :O)

by goodfish Online Now Jul 1, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Aw crap - excuse my multiple typos!

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jul 2, 2012 at 3:58 AM

IMHO the only reason doing 389 is going to Toroweap/Tuweep Area

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

This is what happens when you take your own road trip, other people keep planning their own.

Your plan is looking good. The only thing I had to add (though with the latest itinerary it won't matter) is that awesome sunrise spot in Zion is the Temples of the Virgin just behind the History museum. Some dynamite photos are taken there. But it could just as easily be blah. You ought to stop there anyway to see them.

I guess I could say that if you are going to Bryce first you could stop at two places along the way.

1) Kolob Canyons section of Zion. It is just south of Cedar City. Look for it on the right side of the road. It will take about an hour if you do the hike at the end. Wonderful finger canyons.
    2) Cedar Breaks. If you go east on hwy 14 from Cedar City then drive 148 through Cedar Breaks and then head east on 143 to Panguitch, it will add some more time to the drive to Bryce, but it will be scenic.

by goodfish Online Now Jul 19, 2012 at 2:36 AM

>This is what happens when you take your own road trip, other people keep planning their own.

LOL, this is what happens when you ASK!!!!! :O)

Good to see you, Sego -I was wondering where you were!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Jul 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM

My daughter and I were exploring the vast midwest. Of course we picked the summer and time of record breaking heat!!! But we had a wonderful time. It would take me a year to share it all, but I'll give it a stab here and there.

by VRTravel Online Now Aug 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Not quite sure if you have already gone on your trip or not, but I went to Zion's a few years ago then last weekend and it was such a great time. I definitely wasn't prepared and wish I had known some things so I hope I can help you or anyone else out when planning their Zion's trip.
    TO GET THERE: Oh my gosh we were so confused when we got to Zion's National Park. We assumed it was like the other National Parks we went to this year and that you could drive to the beginning of the Narrows trail then go on your way. This park will not let any cars on the road to the Narrows or any other trail in the park. So your ONLY option is to park in the front main parking lot and then take the shuttle. The beginning of the Narrows trail is about 5 miles away from the entrance, but it took 35 minutes to get there because the shuttle had to stop at all of the places before the Narrows. Definitely was a longer time to get to the trail then we thought. Also, even if the weather looks nice, call ahead to the park to make sure there are no flash flood warnings, the day after we went there were warnings and the weather looked fine but it's amazing how fast that can change. Oh, and when the shuttle drops you off you need to walk about 15 minutes on the trail to get the beginning of the Narrows.
    What TO BRING: Bring LOTS of water. Even though the water temperature is pretty cold (which feels amazing during the hike because the water was under my knees for most of the time except at the entrance it went up to my chest) but the temperature still was over 100 degrees so water to drink felt great. We didn't bring snacks which was a mistake, we were so hungry and had to turn back even though we could have hiked for a lot longer. Next time we decided to bring a camelbak and put snacks, water, and our cheap camera in a few plastic bags. We didn't bring our camera at all because we didn't want to drop it, and we didn't take any pictures. It is so beautiful down there. For our car keys, we put the key ring through one of the boys mesh swimtrunk's pocket which was a great idea.
    TO WEAR: We dressed perfectly for the narrows. We wore swimsuits with shirts and/or shorts over, old tennis shoes and socks. We left our towels and an extra pair of shoes in the car so we could dry off and not get the car wet. You can buy walking sticks, but there were plenty to choose from at the beginning of the Narrows.
    Anyway, hope your trip goes well!!! Let us know how it went

by goodfish Online Now Aug 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

VRTravel- pretty sure the OP already took (or are taking) their trip.

The National Park site for Zion has a ton of great info for anyone making a visit there. A tourist should NEVER make a trip to a U.S. National Park without spending time on the excellent websites along with asking questions here.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines