Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location
gapiffy's Profile Photo

zion to san fran

by gapiffy Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM

would it be wise to stay at a place like st george to do bryce and zion and tht way just park ourselves near both for a couple of nights and just travel to both ?
also from bryce/zion we will be traveling to yosemite and onto san fran -- any travelling tips -- we are now happy not to do death valley(though if some were included that would be good) -- so i guess up the western side of the mountain range -- how far can we get from thebryce/zion NPs to that side -- where are some nice places to stay /places of interest etc we would hope to stay one night on the way and then onto yosemite and onto San fran for the next night or maybe we need another night in thaere somewhere -- once again so happy for any input.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: zion to san fran

by bocmaxima Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM

It's a little hard to following, but are you doing one night at Bryce, Zion and Yosemite each with nothing in between? If so, then this is not a good idea.

> would it be wise to stay at a place like st george to do bryce and zion and tht way just park ourselves near both for a couple of nights and just travel to both ?

St. George is pretty far from Bryce. Since you're heading west, why not go to Bryce first, stay overnight at Ruby's Lodge or at a town nearby, day at the park, night in St. George, then the next day at Zion and St. George that night.

It's a better idea to stay in Springdale while at Zion but, if you're just planning on a single day there, St. George is fine. I stayed in Hurricane (just east of St. George) the last time I was up there and I saved quite a bit of money. The commute in wasn't that bad.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Right - I previously suggested Ruby's for Bryce, and either the Lodge or Springdale for Zion. Best plan.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Just a suggestion? You've got a LOT of posts out there on this same subject - including some from several weeks ago. I think you're going to get a pile of confusing responses as conversations on one post may conflict with another. You'll also be getting a lot of redundant info from posters unaware of topics that have already been covered. You might want to pick just one of your current posts to keep and have the staff delete the others so as to track responses in fewer places?

These were a couple of the other posts:

VT Forum temporarily unavailable

VT Forum temporarily unavailable

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Aug 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM

You have some good advice from both bocmaxima and goodfish. St. George is really too far from Bryce to be a convenient location for visiting that park. It would be OK for Zion, but Springdale is so much more convenient. Springdale sits right on the border of Zion, and it is a nice little town for tourists with restaurants and motels. The town has about 300 people, and has a Giant Screen IMAX theater. This is a link to the theatre's web page, if you would like to see what types of films are played there. Some of their films are in 3-D. http://www.zioncanyontheatre.com/

I would then highly recommend that you move up to Bryce, which is about 80 miles NE of Zion. I would stay as close to Bryce as possible. Both bocmaxima and goodfish recommended Rubys, so I would recommend that you consider their advice. I have only camped in the area, so am not familiar with motels/hotels. I checked the webpage for Ruby's and it seems to be conveniently close to the park. Their web page is http://www.rubysinn.com/

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Aug 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Agreeing with the others that you do not want to stay in St George to visit Bryce. If you want to be in one place for both of them the logical place would be Kanab. But that is not ideal for either.

As far as traveling from there to Yosemite the only thing I can venture in that regard is that the east entrance to the park over the mountains will most likely be closed in Dec. You'd have to go around to the west entrance from near Fresno or Merced. That would require you going south from Vegas to Barstow and over to hwy 98

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines