Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location

Zion in December?

by writegirl18 Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM

We have to be in Flagstaff, AZ on business in early December and I would LOVE to continue on to Zion and Bryce or a few days. What can we expect the week of December 7th? Is it usually snowy? Icy? Too cold?

We live in New England so it's not a trip we can just take on a whim (we have skiied in the Salt Lake area but that is an easy reach by air, unlike southern Utah).

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Zion in December?

by bocmaxima Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

It'll certainly be cold. The rest is really impossible to predict. There will very likely be snow on the ground, but whether or not it's icy or snowy in the area depends on weather fronts right before then. However, Zion Canyon is also very walled-in, so snow and ice have less chance to melt during the day, and are more likely to be on the ground.
    hth

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • WinInZion's Profile Photo

by WinInZion Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I think you'd be fine in Zion but would have some snow at Bryce. Even if you get a snow fall in Zion you'd be able to do all but the more difficult hikes. We are in Zion almost every weekend and can only remember 3 days in 4 years that snow was an "issue".

Win

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Oct 27, 2009 at 6:02 AM

If there isn't a storm while you are there you will most likely enjoy it. If there is snow on the ground at Bryce it will only add to the beauty. And again unless there has been a big storm the trails there should be open.
    I've been to Zion when it was too cold and water from the springs and waterfalls closed a couple trails. But even if you can't go on them it is worth seeing.
    One thing for sure, there are a lot less people.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines