Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location
rickd11's Profile Photo

Must see spots and things to do in Zion

by rickd11 Online Now Aug 8, 2009 at 6:29 AM

We (myself, my wife, and two kids .... 19 and 21) have one day in the park. We plan on doing the narrows, what else is a must see? I know ther are many.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Must see spots and things to do in Zion

by Segolily Online Now Aug 8, 2009 at 9:10 AM

The Narrows, if done from the bottom to the end of the day trip can take you all day with a side trip to Orderville canyon as well.

But a nice combination would be Angel's Landing early when it is hot and then the Narrows in the afternoon. You probably wouldn't get as far up the narrows in half a day, but you could get far enough to enjoy the experience. Those are the two must do's in my book. Be sure you have good water shoes (with toes) and hiking poles for the narrows and anything you want to keep dry protected.

If you take the whole day for the Narrows, then a nice evening hike would be to Lower and Middle Emerald Pools.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Must see spots and things to do in Zion

by goodfish Online Now Aug 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I'd only do Angels if your have zero fear of heights and even then it can be mighty harrowing on a windy day. I'd go with Lower/Middle/Upper Emerald Pools or at least have it in your back pocket in case of weather. You'll love the Narrows - be sure to check weather conditions with a ranger before entering the canyon though? You do not want to be in there if heavy rain is in the forecast upriver. I don't know what time of year you're going but the water can be cold if you're in it most of the day. I'd recommend renting insulated water socks, boots and a pole from an outfitter in Springdale for maximum traction, comfort and stability. The bottom of the river is very rocky and traction/stability is nice in a swift current!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines