Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location

Hiking with young 'uns

by galla1h Online Now Apr 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM

We want to take our famiy to Zions this year. We have never been there (I think this is a sin... living in Salt Lake for so many years!) We are looking for some trails we can take our 6 & 8 year olds on. Any ideas? We also have older children but I think we can find plenty for them to do! Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Hiking with young 'uns

by barneyx Online Now Apr 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Take the shuttle bus to the last stop and take the trail alongside the river. It's a scenic walk and very easy. Alternativly, get off the shuttle bus at the lodge and walk to the emerald pools. You have a choice of whether to do the lower or higher pools. The higher pools obviously require more uphill treking but it's still a fairly easy walk.
    At the entrnce to the park there are maps with details of all the walks, how long they take and easy/difficult they are.
    It's a beautiful place, I loved it!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

This URL should help

by PR-7 Online Now Apr 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM

www.zion.national-park.com/hike.htm#trail

All three hikes labelled "Easy" will be do-able even with children in strollers. As I'm sure you're aware, kids your age will CLAIM, "Sure, I can climb Mount Everest!", but will start complaining after five minutes of walking. Be flexible when you're hiking with them!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking with young 'uns

by Segolily Online Now Apr 27, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Congratulations for making the decision to finally visit one of the best places in the US!
    There are several trails I would take. Those mentioned already are the RIverside Walk and Emerald Pools (we just did lower and middle with the kids). Those are good. Pa'rus is also very nice, level along the river.
    You might also include the Canyon overlook, a bit of a challenge for a 6 yr old, but nothing they couldn't handle. You start just east of the long tunnel and it gives you a view from higher up without doing the hard work.
    Watchman trail might also be nice a little bit uphill, but not too much and not too long and has some nice views.
    If it is a hot day you might consider at the end of Riverside walk heading into the river for a trip up the Narrows. Don't even think about going far, but I bet the kids would love to go for a little bit, just turn around when you have had enough, (well and considering you need to get back maybe before you've had enough )
    Don't miss out on the Jr Ranger program. Pick up the information at the visitors center and have the kids do the activities. When they are all done they become jr rangers. It helps keep their interest in the park and gets them involved on their own level.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking with young 'uns

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Apr 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I agree with Riverside Walk, which is one of the most popular trails. It is a one mile one-way paved trail, and is an easy walk, with spectacular scenery.

Weeping Rock is a short, half-mile walk, although it climbs 98 feet, so there is uphill walking. Again it is a paved trail. It ends at an alcove with dripping springs, where you will stand behind the falling water and look through the curtain of water.

I agree with the Emerald Pool Trial suggestion. The lower pool trail is .6 mile one way and climbs 69 feet, again paved and easy walking.

The Middle Emerald Pool Trail,however,climbs 150 feet in one mile and is unpaved, so may not be appropriate for your youngest. There is also a ledge an this trail that has ropes to keep you safe, but their have been deaths from people ignoring the ropes, and falling. So, if you think your 6 year old is up to the Middle Emerald Pool Trail, be sure to watch your children carefully, so they do cross the rope line.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines