Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location
camilleaja's Profile Photo

Best hikes with child/teen ?

by camilleaja Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Hi !

we're going to Zion 3 days in July. What are the best hikes with our 11 and 13 children ?

We know it may be hot but we're used to the heat.
Thanks !

Camilla

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Best hikes with child/teen ?

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I trust you mean 11 & 13 years of age. A group of 11-13 children would be a hard hike for anyone, well, maybe not a hiking tour guide. lol So, with children that should be old enough to handle a few boulders, I would suggest a walk in "Clear Creek" to the "Hidden Gardens". See Zion's webpage for hiking tips. Website: zionnational-park.com/hike.h...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Riverside Walk is a popular family trail. It is a paved trail that runs one mile (one way) and has spectacular scenery. Wheeping Rock is a short, half mile walk that climbs 98 feet. It ends at an alcove with dripping springs. The Emerald Pool trails are very nice, there is a lower, middle and upper one all connected together, so that you can choose to walk part or all of these.

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Jun 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Take the Riverside walk and then jump in the water and continue on up the Narrows. The kids are definitely old enough to go for it. Obviously you should plan ahead and find out about weather conditions and have proper shoes, food and water before taking the hike. You can go as far as you want before turning around. It is a hike like no other and even a little taste of it will be an adventure.
    I also would not hesitate to take my kids at least up to Echo Canyon on the Observation Point trail or even up to Scouts Look out on the Angel's Landing trail. You might even consider continuing on each of those to the top, but that depends on your fear of heights and what shape you are all in.
    From Scouts Look out you can also head over to the West Rim where you can get some nice views.
    Don't leave out Canyon Overlook just past the tunnels and the drive to the East Entrance.
    You might want to look into tubing the Virgin, I haven't done it for awhile so don't know the specifics.
    There is the old ghost town of Grafton y'all might be interested in across the river from Rockville.
    Have a great time. Where are you staying?

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 3:26 AM

"There is the old ghost town of Grafton y'all might be interested in across the river from Rockville."

We visited Grafton a week ago and were a little bit disappointed by this ghost 'town'. Be aware there are just 4 buildings and a graveyard to see.
    You could do it during a bike tour !!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM

vtveen, that's the trouble with ghost towns. especially in Utah. They most often are where something USED to be. It has been years since I went to Grafton and back then most of the intrique was just getting there and then seeing the buildings empty. But I expect that with more people going and the passing of the years it has lost some of its interest. Thanks for responding.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Segolily: I think it was my 'fault' not reading enough about Grafton, although soem websites suggest more than there is to see. But I have to admit the scenery around is rather dramatic and remote with the colorful cliffs of Zion National Park as a backdrop to the north.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines