Zion National Park Travel Answers

change location

Hiking the Narrows Trial in Mid-April

by ericavil Online Now Dec 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM

We are going to be hiking in Zion around the 23rd of April. Will we be able to hike in the Narrows trail? Or will the water be too cold? When I tried to hike it in November a few years ago, we only made it about 1/2 mile before freezing our feet? Thanks for any advice.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking the Narrows Trial in Mid-April

by kathymof Online Now Dec 11, 2007 at 8:31 PM

I would contact the National Park Service office in Zion. And I would watch the weather for a hundred miles around the area for any type of storm activity.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Dec 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Snow tends to melt in that region in late March or mid-April, so you're going to be walking through mostly snowmelt run-off, which is typically in the 45 or so degree fahrenheit range. Even in the height of the summer, the water in the Virgin River is reasonably chilly.
    That's the problem with the area: there are really only two seasons.

• WinInZion's Profile Photo

by WinInZion Online Now Dec 12, 2007 at 5:26 PM

This will not be impossible but it will be very cold. You can rent water shoes, neoprene socks and a dry suit at Zion Adventure and that would make it possible. What might stop you is the snow melt. The Virgin can run pretty high thru May.

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Dec 15, 2007 at 11:53 AM

I wouldn't try hiking it that time of year without (as mentioned) the special socks and shoes and maybe suit available through Zion Adventure. The water levels will most likely be high as well, so be prepared not to go beyond your comfort level and have a plan for how far to go. Remember it will be downstream on the way back and so a little easier.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines