Zihuatanejo Travel Answers

change location
oslocairo's Profile Photo

Snorkling

by oslocairo Online Now Aug 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Hi!

Any suggestions about snorkling in Zihuatanejo? I saw a suggestion online about off of las Gatas Beach. Is it safe to do just by yourself? Where to go?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • madamx's Profile Photo

Re: Snorkling

by madamx Online Now Aug 14, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Hi again :o)

We didn't go to Las Gatas, but went to Ixtapa Island. The water was beautiful for snorkeling, but due to some circumstances, we personally ended up not snorkeling. It was about 130 pesos each way, I think. The cab will take you to Playa Linda in Ixtapa. You then take a small boat or panga over the island I think it was 350 pesos. You can negotiate with your cabbie to come back and pick you up, but there's plenty of taxis parked at the entrance to Playa Linda.

Have a look at my Mexico page if you want to see pictures of Ixtapa Island. It was really quaint and beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oslocairo's Profile Photo

by oslocairo Online Now Aug 14, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Thanks again! I'll look at your page.

• madamx's Profile Photo

by madamx Online Now Aug 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM

There's three beaches at Isla Ixtapa, Playa Coral was our fave. The last beach is only accessible by boat. It's a really nice atmosphere :o)

• Re: Snorkling

by travelmn Online Now Sep 19, 2007 at 5:54 PM

It depends on where you are staying. We went to Las Gatas and loved it. You can catch a ferry...cheap, run often, about every 20 minutes or so, from main pier downtown Zihua. Water is shallow, warm, and very clear. Mostly rocks and pretty fish so if you are used to Caribbean, don't expect to much. We rented a chair and umbrella, had snacks, lunch (grilled pork chops!) and snorkel gear for a bout30.00 last year. Great massages available. Beach is lined with restaurants and chairs for rent. Just keep walking till you see one you like. Bathrooms in back of each restaurant. Ferrys go back to main land constantly. Only takes about 15 minutes or so for ferry. We will go again!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines