Zihuatanejo Travel Answers

change location

night bus from Mexico City to Zihuatanejo

by MoscowT Online Now Nov 14, 2005 at 11:29 AM

I'm flying into Mexico City at 10:10pm. How long does it take to clear customs? What night bus should I take to get to Zihuatanejo? How long will it take to get from the airport to the bus station?

Thank you for your replies (I hope) :)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • alfredop's Profile Photo

RE: night bus from Mexico City to Zihuatanejo

by alfredop Online Now Nov 16, 2005 at 6:51 AM

Customs may take from 15 minutes and up to an hour. It would depend on the following:

- Ammounts of flights arriving at the same time
    - Ammount of bags you're carrying
    - You'll be randomly assigned to a stoplight if you push the button and you get red, they will have to check all your bags.

You would need to take a taxi to the South Bus Station which will take you 30 minutes to get your taxi and up to 45 minutes to arrive to the station. Not sure about any night buses, but they might exist. Trip may take up to 10 hours and flight takes 35 minutes. It would be your pick to travel by plane or bus.

Enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gomexico's Profile Photo

RE: night bus from Mexico City to Zihuatanejo

by gomexico Online Now Nov 17, 2005 at 1:12 PM

As a rule of thumb, I program 45 minutes into my itinerary to de-board the airplane, walk from the airplane to Immigration, wait in line at Immigration, walk to the baggage claim area and clear Customs. I've made the journey is as little as 30 minutes (never less) and as long as 1 1/4 hours. Planes aren't always on-time, other planes often land at the same time as yours, etc., and there can be unforseen delays along the way.

There is some good news though. The new international terminal construction/renovation work is just about complete. I was in the airport two weeks ago. The walk from the arrival gate to Immigration is now about 1/2 the distance it was prior. And, Immigration, baggage claim and customs are now on the same levels, not separate (before, Immigration was on the 2nd floor while baggage claim and Customs was on the level below).

Your bus for Zihuatanejo will depart at the other end of Mexico City - from Terminal Sur. Travel time at that hour will be 20-25 minutes, and the cost approx. MX.250 (maybe less). Make the trip in an "authorized" secure taxi. These trips are paid for in advance, and after paying you take your ticket/receipt . . . walk to one end of the new international terminal, and wait in line for a taxi. The ticket-buying and walk to the taxi and wait will probably take you another 15-20 minutes. As you exit Customs turn, immediately, to your left and look for a sign over a counter that reads: "Sitio 300". It's at this counter you purchase your transportation to Terminal Sur (next to the Taxqueña Metro station). Do not be persuaded by a tout to take a less expensive taxi that's unregulated. To do so will place you in jeopardy of being the victim of a crime.

Bus company "Estrella de Oro" (www.estrelladeoro.com.mx) is thought to offer the best service on the Mexico City > Zihuatanejo route, and I agree with those sentiments. There are two overnight departures on Estrella de Oro: 11:20 p.m. and 12:15 a.m. I don't think you'll get to Terminal Sur in time for the 11:30 departure. However, you should be in good shape for the 12:15 a.m. Travel time will probably be in the range of 9-10 hours.

If you, for whatever reason, miss the 12:15 a.m. bus to Zihuatanejo you can catch a 1:00 a.m., 1:30 a.m. or 2 a.m. bus headed for Acapulco. Once in Acapulco you can easily connect to Zihuatanejo on Estrella de Oro.

Bus company Estrella Blanca also offers service on the route, but its schedules aren't online. I don't recommend travel on Estrella Blanca, but many people travel with them and seem satisfied. It's likely that the company also offers overnight service to Zihuatanejo (possibly connecting in Acapulco, though).

Best of luck!

• RE: RE: night bus from Mexico City to Zihuatanejo

by MoscowT Online Now Nov 20, 2005 at 7:40 AM

Wow...I didn't expect such detailed information. THanks so much!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines