Zhujiajiao Travel Answers

change location

Which water town to visit?

by teskay Online Now May 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

We will have an extra day in Shanghi in October and are considering a visit to one of the water towns. I have read about several towns close to an hour or so away. We don't want to fight large crowds and lots of commercial vendors. I would like to have your opinion about the towns of Zhujiajiao, Zhouzhuang or Suzhou. We would take a tour bus or maybe private vehicle that morning and return that evening. Any thoughts are welcome!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • milliturtle's Profile Photo

Re: Which water town to visit?

by milliturtle Online Now May 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Many tour companies leaving from Shanghai offer day tours that combine Suzhou and Zhouzhang. Both places are quite nice but if you do take a tour, you'll probably spend some time at the silk factories. My memories are a bit hazy since I visited back in 1999 but my friends went on a tour recently (booked through hotel catered towards foreign tourists) and enjoyed it a lot (my friend doesn't like crowds and she was ok with both places.) I think it cost them around100 US each. This is a bit pricier than going with a Chinese run tour, but if those are similar to the one I took in Huashan, you will have to be able to speak Mandarin and have the patience to wait a long time for stragglers.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MikeySoft's Profile Photo

by MikeySoft Online Now May 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I have not been to Zhujiajiao or Zhouzhuang but Suzhou is very nice. They now have a high speed trains between Shanghai and Suzhou. I recommend spending a night in Suzhou even with the high speed train.

The intercity train travels over 280 KM/hour. That is over 170 miles/hour.

You can click on MikeySoft, then click on China under the world map to see my China page, then click on Shanghai on my China page to see my Shanghai pages with photos more tips.

• browniequeen's Profile Photo

by browniequeen Online Now May 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I think zhou zhuang and suzhou is different. In suzhou, you can take a look at different beautiful gardens and also experience the small water town. In wuzhen,zhouzhuang and zhujiajiao, they are all old water town villages. If you have time i recommend one day in suzhou and one day in zhujiajiao. Zhujiajiao is suburb of shanghai and convenient.

• cxs's Profile Photo

by cxs Online Now May 28, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Hi, visited Wuzheng 2 years ago, no vehicle is allowed, it is a relaxing and enjoyable expereince strolling around the entire WuZheng. Never been to Zhujiajiao and Zhouzhuang, heard they are better choice to Wuzheng. If you happen to visit Wuzheng and one of the above, do let me know of your views. Dont miss the 'squirrel fish' if you are in SuZhou/HangZhou. It is yummy!! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines