Zhengzhou Travel Answers

change location

Living in Zhoukou

by conan0204 Online Now Jan 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hi there! I have posted on the Zhoukou forum as well. I am going to be relocating to Zhoukou mid-Feb to teach English for one year. It seems that because Zhoukou is quite remote and rural, there is not much information online. I would like to speak to anyone living in Zhoukou or Henan, for that matter, about life there; facilities (gym, supermarket etc.), how I should prepare, basically anyone who has been through the experience of relocating to a completely new environment for advice. I am excited, don't get me wrong, but also apprehensive about being prepared to embrace the experience fully.

As well, I will fly into PEK and prefer to catch train or bus from there to Zhoukou. I have googled this so many times and can't find many websites that aren't in Chinese, for which my computer is incompatible anyway, or that I can't access for this, that or the other reason. Can someone please help me out? Where do I catch the train from? Is the bus easier and cheaper? How much? Just one last thing, has anyone heard of Big Stone China? Anyone taught there?

Thank you and look forward to reading your replies. Of course, any other advice you can pass my way would be much appreciated as well.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ellyse's Profile Photo

Re: Living in Zhoukou

by ellyse Online Now Jan 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

There's only 1 train daily from Beijing West to Zhoukou: K401 (0828--2055, 12h27min)
    The fare ranges from 200+ RMB for a hard sleeper to 300+ RMB for a soft sleeper. I hardly think hard seat would be suitable for such a long journey, especially since I think you'll have quite a big of luggage. Since you'll be arriving smack on top of the Spring Festival transport period, buying tickets in advance is extremely recommended.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jan 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

hello Conan,
    I'll be honest, I don't now about Zhoukou,Henan, PEK or Big Stone China.
    But on a whim, I went from Montreal to Kunming, China for 10 months and loved it.

I was excited, but apprehensive too, as you are. It's normal.

I don't have time right now to go into details but can assure you that you'll have the experience of a lifetime in China, go as you are, no need to be totally prepared for everything at all.

Others can give you great pointers etc, they're useful of course. But I had no pointers other than "Try Kunming" and it was fantastic for me. With an open mind, you can get anywhere.

Any specific questions you may have, send me an email and I'll try to answer. I have nothing but good souvenirs of my time in Yunnan, China. All the best to you. (I know how such a trip can seem overwhelming...)

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Jan 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM

The major problem will be clothes if you do not fit into the usual Chinese sizes. Supermarkets vary and a lot of things will be unfamiliar but there are often surprises. Not so sure you will find a gym but you will probably do alot of walking and not need a gym so much. I took off 10Kgs (22Lbs) whilst i was in China (from 72Kg)and was never healthier because of the exercise. Where do you come from -your profile doesn't say. Do you speak any Chinese, particularly mandarin? I was fortunate when I lived in China as there were three expats in the same company and town. Will there be other foreigners where you will be teaching or will there be a handover with someone leaving. I do know a guy who is the only foreigner in Wuzhen but that is over towards the coast. There are foreigners in all sorts of places. maybe have a look on www.shanghaiexpat.com as Shanghai will be the nearest really large city to you.

• shadow53's Profile Photo

by shadow53 Online Now Jun 8, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Hi,how are you doing in zhoukou? I hope everything is smooth.I am a chinese girl and zhoukou is my hometown,so if you still have any porblems please feel free to contact me,I would be glad to give you some advice or help : )

my email: grace_ericsson@hotmail.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines