Zhangjiajie Travel Answers

change location

Zhangjiajie (and area) hostel culture for a solo backpacker

by jonzo Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Hello, I am wondering about the backpacker culture around Zhangjiajie. I am a first time backpacker traveling SOLO In April. I am looking to be there mid apr sometime.. I know it's a popular place amongst the Chinese, but am I likely to run into other English speaking backpackers in the Youth Hostels there to go on these long hikes in the area with? As it's kind of complicated and out of the way to get there I don't really want to hike for days alone!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • FanGrace's Profile Photo

Re: Zhangjiajie (and area) hostel culture for a solo backpacker

by FanGrace Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Zhangjiajie is a very worthwhile place to backpace and you may be lucky to come across wild man. As for meeting English speaking backpackers, it all depends on your luckiness. You can check a hostel beforehand and tell the owner that let an English speaking backpacker to contact with you if an English speaking backpacker live in the hostel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Zhangjiajie (and area) hostel culture for a solo backpacker

by coriejim Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

meeting people in Zhangjiajie..my wife and I were in Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang last August. Its a wonderful place to check out. Lots of "hiking" I suggest staying in a hostel or hotel and doing day trips to the many scenic areas. There were many Chinese tourist enjoying their country while we were there, only saw 1 other Caucasian in the 5 days but don't let that hold you back..everyone is friendly and supportive.

• Poling's Profile Photo

Re: Zhangjiajie (and area) hostel culture for a solo backpacker

by Poling Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:57 AM

You can spend a day or two hiking inside the national park. Hire a local guide (very cheap) to walk around at your own pace. The guide, though speak no English is still good to be a company.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines