change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Mongolia-China-Laos Overland July 2016

China Jan 22, 2016 at 6:03 AM

Hi all,
      My boyfriend and I are due to overland in our Land Rover Defender in July 2016, from Mongolia through China and into Laos. We have found a great tour company, but as you probably know - it doesn't come cheap and so the more the merrier!!! We have room to take the guide in our vehicle, we aim to camp a lot but still have a few nights in hotels etc. We're aiming for approx. 25-28 days route time, north to south.

Does anyone else plan to cross at a similar time in their own vehicle, who'd like to make a route with us and enjoy cheaper prices from the tour company?

Thanks!

more
    • Optometry shops close for C New Year?

Guangzhou Yesterday

I will be in Guangzhou Feb. 9->11. I need to get 2-3 prescription eyeglasses made for my mum while I am passing though during the big holiday. It is only 4/2 and here in Malaysia glasses shops tell me it will take a week to get product. So impossible.

Bifocals apparently are the issue, they don't keep stock in this small town.

Will I be able to fulfill this order at height of CNY within 3 days?

Apparently a full week of CNY in Malaysia is like several festivals in Cambodia where the whole country shuts down commercial activity. However the rest of the year I get glasses within 2 hours or overnight at latest.

Will it be any different in Guangzhou?

more
    • Xi'an to Mongolia and anything in between!

China Jan 27, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Hi fellow travelers,

I'm looking for advice on how to plan the 2nd half of my China trip. I want the second half to start from Xi'an, and include Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, then I need to end up back in Beijing. I have about 12 days.

I'm picking up the major sites on the first half of the trip from Beijing toward Xi'an, but don't see any must-see locations from then on (and I want to stay in the North). Most books offer a Silk Road experience, but that kills a lot of time going farther out, and I've already done Middle Eastern desert-type travel.

If there isn't much between Xi'an and Ulaanbaatar, I looked at flying from Xi'an into Ulaanbaatar (no non-stops) but that is quite expensive $350-500 so I'd be fine with killing a day or two traveling via bus/train if much cheaper,

Maybe Xi'an to Ulaanbaatar however is the best value, and then come back into China along the Northeast side, along the coast - maybe hit the North Korean border on the way back into Beijing?

Any ideas appreciated!

more
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

QIngming national holidays 2016 and effect on travel and tourist activities

China Jan 23, 2016 at 7:31 PM

I will be in Beiing Fri 1 April to Wed 5 April. What effect do National holidays have? Subway runs normal? Shops open normal? Tourist sites open normal?
      I was intending to organize a driver to take me to Mutianyu on Mon 4 April - any problems??
      What effect, if any, do these National Holidays have in Beiing?

more
    • tassaduqhussain51's Profile Photo

Cheapest method for return trip to Mutianyu

Beijing Jan 7, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Can anybody guide about the cheapest way to have a visit to Mutianyu?

more
    • a trip to Longqingxia &. Mutianyu

Beijing Feb 3, 2016 at 2:51 AM

Hi everyone;
      I try to plan our family trip to china. Our last days of the trip will be in Beijing.
      Except for the sites in Beijing we would like to visit Longqingxia &. Mutianyu great wall.
      If understand from the map; there are something like 2.5 hours driving distance between those two places.
      I thought that instead of going back to Beijing we should combine them with the same trip.
      Option 1 - To get up early in the morning; & to take a driver that will take us to the both of places at the same day.
      Option 2 - to take the public transportation; & then to stay at night in the area; & go to the other place at the second day.
      Because our youngest son is 3 years old I dont want a trip with too many hours on the road; so Iam not sure what to choose.
      Has anyone made such a trip & can advise me what is the best way to do it?

more
    • worksopian's Profile Photo

Visas for UK passport holders.

China Jan 19, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Is it correct that the fee is around £170 inclusive?
      Thanks for all your help Ian

more
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

AUD v CNY exchange rates from ATMs better in China than getting cny cash in Aust?

China Jan 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Aud is plumetting v cny. I read somewhere(LP I think) that exch rates from ATMs in Shanghai & Beijing are better. Correct? Even with atm charges???

more
    • Safe to hike up huangshan in darkness?

Huangshan Jan 14, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I'm going to huangshan 2 nights during the spring festival and i want to stay at the top of the mountain at the baiyun hotel.
      I will arrive at 2:30 pm at tunxi airport and i read the last cable car is at 4 pm so probably i won't be on time and i'd need to walk all the way up.
      Is it safe to start walking up the mountain at this time? It's around 4 hours hike to the hotel and it will be dark.

more
    • MikeySoft's Profile Photo

High speed trains in Xinjing, Gansu, & Qinghai

China Yesterday

What cities in Xinjing, Gansu, & Qinghai provinces should have high speed train service by mid May this year?

more
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

Booking online tour from Beijing to Great Wall.Mutianyu

China Jan 30, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Is it safe to book tour to Mutianyu online? (I am in Australia) Or, should I book via hotel or tourist info service when I get to Beiing? I arrive in Beijing Thursday and want to go to Wall Mon. Can I assume this gives me plenty of time to find a driver and guide tour?

more
    • Want to visit Taiwan at end of my visa,

China Jan 21, 2016 at 2:37 PM

I want to visit some friends in Taiwan at the end of my Chinese Visa, is it possible to return to Shanghai after my visa has expired and stay for the 3 day no visa required transit period.
      I fly out of Shanghai.

On a different note, i have my travel arrangements confirmed except for the return from Lanzhou to Shanghai, my friends wish to drive me to Shanghai via a couple of cities along the way. I am not sure how this will be viewed by the Visa people.

Also, i have been told that i may need an ID card to get train tickets inside China, i assume as i am a tourist, my passport would be fine, but just to be sure

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers
      Ian

more
    • Limtited time transiting Beijing Airport

Beijing Jan 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM

I transited Beijing airport on my way from London to Bangkok with Air China and it took me nearly 2 hours to get to the departure gate because the airport requires passengers transiting the airport to take a channel that requires you to go out of air side and go through security again, despite have gone through security at Heathrow, this was due to the length of the queue for other passengers transiting the airport. On my return leg from Bangkok to London I have only a 1 hour lay over before my flight to London departs, so I am very concerned that I will not be able to make my flight.

Could anyone offer me any advice regarding this please?

more
    • Business trip and gifts

Foshan Jan 31, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Hi

Im going to Foshan in Feb for a business trip to meet a factory owner and his work force its a small factory under 20 people.I have been buying and communicating with the manger for 24 months but now need to take a trip to tie down some finer points of our relationship

I want to take some gift for the manager and then for his work force .. Would it be a good idea to take an expensive bottle of whiskey and some exclusive cigars for example for the manager and perhaps some equisite biscuits or short bread for the employees ..

I understand there must be a difference in the money value of the gift from one rank to another and to wrap in red utilizing silver and gold braid for example.

Ive never been to China before I Im a little apprehensive of selecting the right gift for the right purpose can any one give advice or have personal experience in this matter

Thanks

Paul

more
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Ideas for itinerary Yunnan to Guangdong backpacking?

China Jan 16, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Hi there!
      I 'm planning a 3 week backpacking trip next month, between Guangzhou and Yunnan, and would be greatfull to hear your suggestions or experiences about that, to form an initial rough idea about places to visit around there and in between, so to balance time wisely over this big area
      We 'll be 2 people travelling, without tourist package, just independently, mostly public transport (by train most of it, hopefully) plus a daytrip here or there with local travel agency, if necessary to get the most out of this time frame.
      We don't speak a word of chinese language, so this is going to be a big obstacle, and slow us down a bit, I'm afraid...
      Great interests would be traditional villages, temples, nature, hiking...
      (I 've been to east China and Hong Kong - Macau over earlirer trip, so not going that way now).
      All suggestions for a low cost sensible itinerary are very very welcome!!!
      many thanks to all!
      happy travels!

more

Safety in Beijing

Beijing Jan 18, 2016 at 1:20 AM

How safe is Beijing for tourists?

Thanks for everyones help

Ian

more

First time trip to China

China Jan 17, 2016 at 7:29 AM

I am an experienced backpacker intending to make my first trip to mainland China in 2016.Before I plan I need to understand how it works and what doesnt work.
      I only intend visting cities where english should work like Beijing and Shanghai.
      Some of the first questions I need answering:

Is it easyto get european/european chinese meals in these cities?

Is Visa accepted in restaurants etc ?

Do G train bookings(Beijing to Shanghai) need to be done through travel agents or is it beter to fly?

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Ian

more
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Which website to check train availability & cost realtime information?

China Jan 24, 2016 at 3:52 AM

Hi guys!
      Could you suggest websites which give real time info about availability and cost of Chinese trains?
      My plan is to book at the stations, when I am in China (next month), though I try to know in advance price and availability, so I make up my mind and have the info beforehand about which train to take, and then go to station or city ticket office to buy the actual ticket
      Maybe occasionaly I'd by a ticket online if it is safe...
      After searching I found these sites:

chinahighlights.com/china-tr...
      travelchinaguide.com/china-t...
      http://www.chinatripadvisor.com/train/
      chinatraintickets.net/china-...

The official rail company of China doesn't seem to offer such info on their website
      Do you recommend any of the above, or other, you had good experience, reliable info, real prices instead of web inflated?
      Many thanks in advance!!!!
      Nikos

more
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

Arrival time at Shanghai Hongqiao Station

China Jan 9, 2016 at 12:51 AM

I will be getting G train from Shanghai to Beijing in April. I will be buying 1st class ticket in advance. I have read in travelchinaguide that I should be at Hongqiao AT LEAST ONE HOUR before departure. Is this true? Does same warning apply to Suzhou and Hangzhou?

more
    • travelthrough's Profile Photo

Beijing - tips for day tours around

China Jan 6, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Hi,
      I'm going to Bejing / China for the first time in spring and would like to visit some places around the capital as well.

1. How easy is it to get train tickets independently (I don´t speak Chinese) or would you recommend tours?
      2. Which places nice to visit near Bejing can you recommend? I can also stay a night or two if it´s far away.
      I´ve been thinking of Xian and some traditional village near Beijing. Any other tips for tours around?

Thank you for your information!!

more
    • Amount of Taxi Fare

by AgaVillegas Online Now Sep 13, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Hi!
      My husband is an expat staying in Zhangjiagang Province.
      He has some business to do in Shanghai but cannot go there alone.
      He is considering to hire a taxi based in Zhangjiagang.
      How much is a taxi fare from Zhangjiagang then drop off to Shanghai - U.S. Embassy. And then goin back to Zhangjiagang after he is done in Shanghai.

Aga

5 Answers Dec 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    • Any expats living in Zhangjiagang?

by georgina75 Online Now May 31, 2007 at 6:12 AM

Hi
      My husband is considering a job in ZJG. Does anyone know are their any expats living there or does everyone commute from Suzhou, Wuxi? Wondering if it would be a nice place to live for us and our baby but not sure if it's a bit isolated? Any tips or feedback would be great and especially would love to hear from anyone living in ZJG.

Thanks
      Georgina

1 Answer Jul 22, 2007 at 2:40 AM
    • Son moving to Zhangjiangang

by skipsif Online Now Oct 26, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Hello My son is moving for work to Zhangjiangang very soon Nov 2006 to live and work. I am sure his co workers will recomend a place to live but I was wondering what an American in his young 20's should expect to pay for a nice apartment that can come close to what might be seen in the USA if such a thing exists. Or at least a comment on what to expect and what the cost would be.

Thanks,
      From a concerned DAD

1 Answer Oct 30, 2006 at 2:45 AM
    • jamesandsarah2002's Profile Photo

Emigrating to Wuxi / Shanghai / Zhangjiagang

by jamesandsarah2002 Online Now Jan 24, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Hello, We are thinking of relocating to Wuxi if my husbands company transfers him to a new plant being developed in Zhangjiagang. Many of the workforce will want to live and commute from Shanghai, but Wuxi looks fine to us and we think it would be less of a commute. International School looks good. Can anyone give us an idea of a monthly rental price for a 3 bed place in venice gardens or similar? Does anyone know the likely commuting time from Wuxi to Zhangjiagang?

Many thanks

PS I lived in Hong Kong for three years but never in Mainland C

2 Answers Mar 31, 2006 at 5:18 PM