Zermatt Travel Answers

change location

Zermatt hotel recommendation needed

by cferrendelli Online Now Feb 5, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Hello - I am traveling to Zermatt by train from Zurich with my two boys (8 and 10) and my 80 year old mother in law in April. I would like to stay somewhere that has nice views but that also isn't too much walking for my mother in law and isn't outrageously priced. Any advise is appreciated. Also, things to do with my mother in law are also welcome.
Many thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Re: Zermatt hotel recommendation needed

by Maryimelda Online Now Feb 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Zermatt is a wonderful little town that is reasonably easy to walk around although a little hilly in spots. There aren't a whole lot of "historical sighs" per se, but the town still has so much to offer in different ways.

I can't recommend a particular hotel that I feel would be suitable for your Mother in law as the one I stayed at was located on a hillide, however I saw many many hotels, in the flatter part of the central area of the town, all of which had attractive balconies and which I know would offer great views. After all, Zermatt is surrounded by great views, the obvious one being Miss Matterhorn which, on a clear day, can be seen from just about anywhere. You are bound to find a suitable hotel if you go to the bookings.com website, it is most reliable and has a great many choices available.

AS for entertaining you Mother in Law, I would suggest first and foremost the Matterhorn Museum which is nothing short of excellent and quite different to other museums. Your boys will love it as well. I was especially interested in roaming around the graveyards and reading the headstones which mostly told of climbers who had died on the Matterhorn and some of the other nearby mountains. The one in the grounds behind St Mauritzius Catholic Church will give you plenty of food for thought. Then if you cross the road, you will find a huge cemetery which I guess is the main one of the town. There is also another in the grounds of the English Church but it is situated high on a hill and maybe unsuitable for access by an 80 year old.

You could also have a wander around the Hinterdorf which can be found just off the main street. It is an area of old Zermatt that will give you a great idea of how it was to live there in the early days of settlement.

There should be no problem taking MIL to the Gornergrat to see the Matterhorn from a closer distance. The trains go regularly from the station across the street from the main Bahnhof. Don't waste your time and money if the weather around the Matterhorn is not clear however, as you will see nothing.

Zermatt is a car free town but you can still get around in the electric taxis or by horse and carriage if the going gets a bit heavy for you. There are also plenty of buses whch leave from in front of the Bahnhof regularly going to neighbouring towns. You can fnd out so much by visiting the Zermatt Travel pages of the members here on VT (mine included). Just click on my name above my photo and then on "Zermatt" in the travel list which begins on my homepage. I have covered the Museum and the graveyards pretty comprehensivey there as well as other bits of info which shuld be of help to you.

I'm sure you will love Zermatt, I fell in love with it on sight and would go back in a heartbeat.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines