Zermatt Travel Answers

change location
NickieR's Profile Photo

Goat or soya milk availability?

by NickieR Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I have an allergy to cows' dairy produce, but enjoy goat or sheep dairy. Can I buy goat dairy products or alternatively soya milk in the supermarkets or any other store in Zermatt?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Goat or soya milk availability?

by cazadorez Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Yes, but do you really want to go out of your way and waste time on vacation looking for goat or soya milk? Forget about this issue and drink water! Dont sweat the small stuff!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Goat or soya milk availability?

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Presumably you will want to try the wonderful cheese in Switzerland. There will be a good choice of goat-milk cheese and sheep-milk cheese. They are labeled but it might be good to ask. If you're in a restaurant, they won't be labeled so ask your waiter and be sure he understands. Most of our waiters in Switzerland were young French who spoke very good English.

As far as milk, I have no idea but we found the groceries very well stocked so my assumption would be that you'll have no trouble . . . and water or wine are great substitutes.

Enjoy Switzerland.

• NickieR's Profile Photo

by NickieR Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Thanks - I'll certainly look out for goat and sheep cheeses in the supermarket. Wine and water as milk substitutes? Hmm - neither really appeals with breakfast cereals, or in tea. I only discovered this allergy a few years ago and I miss things like having a hot chocolate break on the mountain - I usually go for chorle(sp?) these days - apple juice with soda water to make it fizz. :-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo

by yumyum Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Try Migros supermarket for the soya milk, although I don't know if the Zermatt branch is big enough to have it.

1 member found this helpful

• NickieR's Profile Photo

by NickieR Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yes, that was my fear, though from memory it is quite large. Fingers crossed. I don't think I'll try to take it with me this time. In January I found soya milk was available in Belle Plagne which is a much smaller resort in France.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

by yumyum Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Why not ask them:
    migros.ch/de/services/kunden...
    Tick at Lebensmittel, then write your question in the big box, write 2x your email address, your name and surname and finally push the button at the bottom called "absenden"

2 members found this helpful

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Didn't think about breakfast. That is a problem. You can make hot chocolate with water although it's not nearly as good. How about cereal bars?

I suspect you'll find either goat or soy milk or both.

Good luck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines