Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• monica88's Profile Photo

Expats in Mwanza

Mwanza Mar 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Hi!
      Im a new expat living in Mwanza and would be living here for the next few months. I would like to meet other nice expats to explore the city and possibly travel. If you're interested, feel free to inbox me.

more
    • Hotels in Dar ess Salaam

Dar es Salaam Yesterday

Which ones are the good hotels in Dar es Salaam?

more
    • fasterdog's Profile Photo

Day trip from Arusha to Lake Manyara / Tarangire National Parks

Arusha Apr 2, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Does anyone know if it is practical to make a 1-day return trip from Arusha to the Lake Manyara / Tarangire area? I guess it takes at least 2 hours driving each way, but that still seems to leave late morning and all afternoon to see the wildlife.

I am thinking of late June, so is it better to concentrate on Lake Manyara or Tarangire at this time of year?

If it is a practical option, does it need to be organized a long time in advance or can we organize it the day before, with a reliable operator of course?

more
    • fasterdog's Profile Photo

Travel from Mwanza to Musoma

Mwanza Mar 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

What is the best way to travel from Mwanza to Musoma in Tanzania? I have read that there are buses available in the mornings, but if these aren't available, is it there some sort of private transport which I can hire at a reasonable price?

Also, does anyone know a good hotel in Musoma with an email address so that I can contact them to book a room?

more
    • Snorkeling

Zanzibar Island Feb 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

What is the best beach for snorkeling?

6 Answers Feb 17, 2014 at 2:26 AM
    • Best time of the year to visit Zanzibar.

Zanzibar Island Sep 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Dear all,
      I plan to visit Zanzibar for my honeymoon in January I want to know if that's a good time period and how long do I need to stay to explore the city the food and the culture
      Also which are the best best resorts or hotels to stay

I also plan to visit sarangeti

8 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    • where to stay in zanzibar?

Zanzibar Island Sep 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

We are a group travelling to Zanzibar after a week at safari in Kenya. We are one couple (30 years old) 1 couple with to children, and one 50 year old woman. We would like to stay at a nice beach. Our travel agent has suggested Matemwe beach to us. This looks nice BUT, it seems a little bit to quiet here. We do not want to end up in a backpacker paradise, but neither a place with 3 hotels, no bars and surroundings and such...

Have i godt the wrong idea about Matemwe, is it very very quiet? or is this ideal for a group combined of small children, and a couple who would like some nights out on a beach bar or such??

Thank you for helping me :)

12 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    • squash05's Profile Photo

14 Days Zanzibar

Zanzibar Island Sep 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM

We are a couple aged 50. We want to have some relax , fun , and just see all that Zanzibar has to offer. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do. Shall we book different places to stay or shall we stay at one place. Our price range in value for money to mid range. Look forward to your suggestions

11 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    • vaccinations

Zanzibar Island Aug 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM

what vaccinations are required for entry into Zanzibar?

1 Answer Aug 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    • vaccinations

Zanzibar Island Aug 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM

what vaccinations are required for entry into Zanzibar?

2 Answers Aug 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    • Zanzibar vacation

Zanzibar Island Jul 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We would like to be in Zanzibar for 5 days/
      We like to diving, surfing, and explore - we don't want to hang around the hotel all day...
      Any accommodation suggestions?
      We like the resort style but the all inclusive packages should be reasonable.
      Kaud

5 Answers Aug 29, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    • Honeymoon on a budget

Zanzibar Island Apr 28, 2013 at 3:30 AM

We would like to honeymoon in Zanzibar for 7 days from South Africa.
      We hear the North is beautiful but expensive and its worth staying in Stone Town for a night or two. We like to snorkel and explore - we don't want to hang around the hotel all day...
      Any accommodation suggestions? What about self catering beach bungalows?
      We don't like the resort style but the all inclusive packages sound affordable.
      Would you recommend we make our own itinerary (stay in a few different places) or do an all inclusive package? Which would work out cheapest?

We've been to Greece before where we just arrived and winged our whole holiday and it was amazing as we spoke to locals and planned our stays accordingly.

Thanks in advance for your help

• NEW TO AFRICA

Zanzibar Island Jan 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Hello -- our college aged daughter will be traveling to Tanzania this summer with a group called GIVE -- Growth International Volunteer Excursions. They will be doing a service project and also recreation mostly on and around Zanzibar Island, then to Arusha and Kilimanjaro to finish. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area and would appreciate any advice. I expect the group organizers will have the agenda pretty much planned out. This is a regular location for them. Otherwise just looking for comments or cautions from fellow travelers.
      THANKS

4 Answers May 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • bergensanne's Profile Photo

Family holiday in Zanzibar in July

Zanzibar Island Jan 13, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Hi there!

We're a family of four (kids aged 13 and 10) thinking about going to Zanzibar in July. Is it really as wonderful as it looks? Is it really worth the expensive air fare from Norway? Immeadeate thoughts on this?

We'd like to have a couple of nights in Stonetown and then to find a nice, small hotel somewhere by he sea. We're looking for an area and a hotel that is safe, but not full of package tourists - would be good if there are a few restaurants to choose between nearby. I guess as far as price is concerned, we're aiming for mid-range. Any suggestions, particularly when it comes to area?

We have 3 weeks in total - should we spend all the time in Zanzibar - or should we perhaps combine it with 10 days in South Africa? In which case, advise on the best way to travel to/from would be much appreciated! Or maybe you have suggestions to other places worth visiting in the area?

Thank you in advance :)

5 Answers Jan 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    • Nungwi-Kendwa Dec 31st

Zanzibar Island Nov 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Hi,
      We arrive in Zanzibar on Dec 30th, and we would like to go to the North Coast.
      So far, i cant find any place available from the web. Tried most websites, and sent about 25 emails. Just looking for a normal/clean place, no views on anything...
      Never been to Africa, but travelled a lot in Asia. Since i cant book anything in advace, is it possible/easy to just show up in the North, and find a small place to rent for 4-5 days? Like in Thailand or Bali?
      And if you have any suggestion, dont be shy!!
      Thanks

Rik

2 Answers Jan 25, 2014 at 3:24 AM
    • feag's Profile Photo

any innoculations needed for a holiday to Zanzibar....?

Zanzibar Island Oct 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Hi, I may get a chance to accompany a friend to go to Zanzibar for a week in November to stay at a place called Breezes on the East Coast. It looks beautiful and Id love to go.

However I have no innoculations up to date, as my friend does, he thinks I should start the ball rolling now and get my injections done, he actually listed a few! (i hate jabs btw!)
      Yellow Fever
      Tetanus
      Malaria tablets
      Hep A and B

I emailed Breezes and they said if staying around that area, then YF and Tetanus are all that are needed, but the hotel has mozzie nets that surround the bed, so surely the malaria tabs are required?

Is a week long enough to see and relax in the area?

Thanks for any info on this.
      Regards
      Jane
      London

8 Answers Oct 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    • Recomendation for Hotel or Hostel in Zanzibar

Zanzibar Island Oct 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Hi guys,

I am arriving to Zanzibar after the Kilimanjaro trek in the afternoon and leaving the next day around 4pm.
      Is it better to stay in one of the hotels/hostels in Stone Town which would be close to the ferry terminal or shell I look for some place at the beach?
      I am keen on having an easy access to the port but on the other hand would love to stay right at the beach.
      Can you recommend something and could you advice if it is expensive to move around by taxi?
      Many thanks

4 Answers Mar 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    • Islands around Zanzibar

Zanzibar Island Sep 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Hello people,
      i read there are some little islands around Zanzibar Island and i'd like to know if i wanna visit one of those little islands (with noone living there, i mean)...how can i get there??? how can i find a boat to get there?
      any tips for me, plz????

7 Answers May 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • Honeymooning 4th May 2013

Zanzibar Island Sep 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM

We impulsivley booked our honeymoon last week for a 4 night safari on the Masai Mara and then 10 nights in Zanzibar. The trip sounds amazing and the price was also really good. It seems that the rainy season is in May and I am now worrying that we will not get to lay on the beach and relax because of all the rain!
      Is it generally really bad or will it just be short showers clearing the humidity? Basically - am i still going to get to experience the amazing sights of Zanzibar in the dry and come back with a honeymoon tan?!!
      Also can anyone tell me what it will be like in the evenings - will the temperature drop quite a lot?
      Any advice you can offer and tips on particular trips or sights we should see would be greatly appreciated Thanks! :)

4 Answers May 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • AnasHamed1985's Profile Photo

Zanzibar Island

Zanzibar Island Aug 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Dear All.
      i planning to visit Zanzibar this weak end for 10 days & Dar es Salaam
      plz help & told me if it is a free country & what is the best thing in this city i should visit or make it .... & is their any nightlife in this city ??????

2 Answers May 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • AnasHamed1985's Profile Photo

Zanzibar Island

Zanzibar Island Aug 11, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Dear All....

I'm planning with my friends, to visit Zanzibar island in Tanzania next week and I need any one had visited this country before To give me advice and answers to questions I have.

Anas
      Thanks.

6 Answers Aug 14, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    • hassanshawky's Profile Photo

Flight from Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro

Zanzibar Island Jun 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Is there a direct Flight from Zanzibar airport to Kilimanjaro airport ???
      which airlines ?? when?? and how much???

1 Answer Jun 16, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    • Zanzibar and safari?

Zanzibar Island May 23, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Initially I slotted 9 days for a safari in Tanzania. After my research I feel like I don't need 9 days. Now I'm thinking about spending 2-3 full days in Zanzibar and 6-7 days on a safari. I haven't found much in forums about doing both.

Thanks for any advice.

2 Answers Jun 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    • Zanzibar in December - some info please!

Zanzibar Island Aug 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Dear Travelers!

Its that time again and my girlfriend and I are planning our next holiday!

Just some background on us: we are the 'beachy, sunnny, outdoorsy' types (ages 31 and 28) that love to laze on the beach but also to explore a bit, do some fund activities (water sports, hiking,etc) meet people and eat good food! We LOVE good, local cuisine! Our previous destinations include Thailand, Cambodia, Seychelles, Europe and USA. This year we want to do (or stay in) Africa (we are from Namibia), and we're very keen on visiting Zanzibar.

Our time-line would be around 28 December 2011 - to 10 January 2012, and we have a few questions:

First of all, Zanzibar Island or Pemba?? Any advice??

then...

1) Is the weather fine (acceptable) that time of year? (How 'bad' is the 'small rainy season - bad? )

2) Where on Zanzibar should we go? Stay in one place or move around and stay in more than one hotel/etc? - I heard the central-east coast is better for relaxing etc, whereas further north its more the 'club-med' scene?

3) Budget wise - is it expensive there? By expensive, I mean Seychelles-type expensive..for those who know.

4) What would you recommend we do while there? I.e the 'must-see-must-do' type of things. (Does not need to be the obvious 'touristy' thing, and any advise/tips will help! )

Thank you in advance for those who will answer my Q's and give us some advice. it is always good to hear from fellow adventurers who've been there! :)

Regards,

Jurgen from Namibia

4 Answers Mar 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    • Backpacking Zanzibar

Zanzibar Island Jun 5, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Does anyone have any advice on where to stay as a female backpacker travelling alone? Not too concerned about safety (I can handle it), I am looking for a good backpacking atmosphere (no honeymoon spots) with nice beaches and cheap!!

3 Answers Jun 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Ramaban in Zanzibar

Zanzibar Island May 31, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Hi all,

Can you please give me an indication on what Zanzibar is like during Ramadan? I'm from Dubai and would like to get away from the heat etc by doing a Kenyan safari followed by Zanzibar with my mum. Will we be inhibited by a lack of restaurants open during the day, souks closed, no drinks before iftar etc? Being from Dubai I also know not to run around in a bikini in town!

Also, can you recommend any decent places to stay that won't break the bank? We would like 2 days in Stone Town followed by 2 days on the beach. About200 per night for the beach resorts and100-150 for Stone Town. I know that availability in August will also be an issue given that it's peak season.

Thanks!

Natalie

6 Answers Jun 2, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Has anyone stayed at the Coral Rock Beach Bungalows?

Zanzibar Island Apr 15, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Hi
      We are considering staying at the Coral Rock Beach Bungalows in Zanzibar next January.
      It will be a family affair, with grandparents in their 70s, us and our two children (then 8 and 5).
      Has anyone else stayed there, and, if so, what was your experience?
      Regards
      Cathy

2 Answers Apr 19, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    • what to do in 2 or 3 days on zanzibar in may ?

Zanzibar Island Apr 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM

is it safe and ok to walk around town .

can you get public buses or a cheap tour around the whole island - is there much to see ?

what about abeach at this time of year ?

9 Answers Apr 15, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    • roxane&jose's Profile Photo

Best beach for swimming in Zanzibar?

Zanzibar Island Oct 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Hi all

We want to travel to Zanzibar soon and want to know which is the best beach for swimming. Swimming is our main interest so we want something with soft sand and not too much seaweed.

For those of you who have been to both Zanzibar and Seychelles, is there any beach on Zanzibar that would match the amazing swimming conditions of Anse Lazio & Cote D'or beaches on Praslin, Seychelles?

Also, what is the best time of year for swimming in Zanzibar?

Thanks in advance.

4 Answers Nov 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    • TJS1's Profile Photo

Zanzibar & Pemba Jan 23rd - Feb 14th 2011

Zanzibar Island Oct 26, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Hi all!
      I will be arriving in Stonetown Sunday 23rd January and returning to London 15th Feb. My Itinerary:
      Zanzibar Coffee House (B&B), Stone Town, Zanzibar - 3 nights
      Mbuyuni Beach Villiage (Half-board), Jambiani Beach, Zanzibar - 12 nights
      Verani Beach Hotel, Pemba (Half Board) - 7 nights

All accommodations are booked, I just have to organise my return flight to Pemba and my transfers.

I am travelling on a budget and I am not impressed with the cost of transport on these Islands. The Island hop to Pemba & back is around200 however this is nothing compared to the prices I am being quoted for land transfers - Pemba Airport to Verani Beach120 return!

Any tips from previous visitors will be appreciated, not just transfers but my accommodation choices, things to do & see etc. will be appreciated.

Regards, John

4 Answers Dec 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    • Solo traveller looking for beach resort where can meet people

Zanzibar Island Jul 26, 2010 at 3:53 AM

I am a 30something single female working in Nairobi planning to take my 10 day vacation in August to sit myself on the beach in Zanzibar. I want to relax, take in some rays, enjoy spa treatments but also meet people to have a drink with at night and enjoy the night life with. Any suggestions on nice resorts that are not to family-focused but also not to many 18 years olds getting sloppy drunk every night??

1 Answer Jul 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    • security conditions for females in zanzibar

Zanzibar Island Jun 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM

We will be in Tanzanya and Kenya in July. Considering our group formed of females in majority, searching more about Kenya I become more suspicious if we will face local guys forcing us to be more modest upon their local average. Other important question mark is on that if we should be wearing clothes several inches below our knees. Even though Zanzibar is a well-known tourist destination, we may assume that conditions might be different than in Kenya, nonetheless we are still looking for experienced trip details about 'female security in Kenya and Tanzania (especially Zanzibar)'. Your suggestions will be pretty much appreciated. Kind Regards, Berna Kanbay

4 Answers Jun 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    • elpariente's Profile Photo

The "must see/do" in Zanzibar

Zanzibar Island May 8, 2010 at 4:14 AM

We will spend a short time in Zanzibar Island , can you recommend us the "must see/do" in the Island ( We heard about turtles , beach , snorkeling, sunsets...)
      We will stay in the North of the island
      Thank you
      Gracias !!!!

6 Answers May 27, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    • 3 year old in Zanzibar - malaria concerns

Zanzibar Island May 6, 2010 at 4:30 AM

We are thinking of going to Malaria in July with our 3 year old. We will take the required medication, but he absolutely HATES wearing shoes and anything with long pants or long sleeves, especially if its hot. How important is it to keep him covered in the early evening? Will we be ok with just loads of mozzie repellent? Really dont want to be arguing with him all the time about being hot in long pants and sleeves but more importantly dont want to risk him getting malaria. This could make or break our choice of destination. Pls advise.

8 Answers Jun 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM