Zanzibar Island Travel Answers

change location
call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Beaches in Nungwi

by call_me_rhia Online Now Aug 26, 2005 at 3:09 PM

hi

we're thinking of maybe heading to Zanzibar in late october - and we're searching for the perfect beach. We're thinking of Nungwi at the moment -although nothing is decided yet. has anyone been there and can share some information and tips?

we're eventually willing to consider other areas - the only no-go is Kiwenga, as we're not really interested in the big resorts scenes. We're really hoping for a no-frills holiday.

thanks for any help
Rhia

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • SanguiniA's Profile Photo

RE: Beaches in Nungwi

by SanguiniA Online Now Aug 28, 2005 at 4:55 AM

Well, Nungwi is certainly the most popular beach and it has the most varied array of accomodation. I don't know what you mean by the perfect beach ... if you want a beach you can swim n all day long, meet other travellers, try your hand at watersports, and party at night than Nungwi is for you.

On the other hand if you want a quiet beach you should head on to Matemwe.

If you want something in between, nice beach, quiet atmosphere but not deserted try the Jambiani/Paje area. There are some pretty nice villages with the traditional Zanzibari way of life. Accomodation is usually in simple guesthouses overlooking the sea.

Do keep in mind that all beaches except Nungwi have tides and so you can swim in them at only certain times of the day.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Alison

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Zanzibar Island Travel Answer Locations