Zanzibar Island Travel Answers

change location

Amaan Bungalows?

by pascale_south_africa Online Now Aug 15, 2005 at 8:03 AM

My partner and I will be travelling to Zanzibar this September. We are staying in the Amaan Bungalows, but I really know very little about them.
Has anybody been that can give me some feedback? Is it worthwhile? Does it have a swimming pool?
Are the beaches nearby good?
How is the food priced? And simple things like a coke or beer? Are those averagely priced?

Another thing I would like to know is whether anybody knows if there are any good surf spots in Zanzibar? I am clueless as to whether we should pack the boards or not.

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: RE: Amaan Bungalows?

by Miuku79 Online Now Aug 17, 2005 at 10:30 PM

Well, Amaan bungalows are good value for the money you pay.. About 20-30 dollars/room.. I stayed in about 10 hotels around Zanzibar last summer, also in Amaan bungalows in Nungwi and Kendwa. There are no swimming pools in such cheap hotels. These rooms/bungalows in Zanzibar are good enough if you are budget traveller.. The Amaan bungalows in Nungwi, didn´t have private shower and the tap water came from the sea.. There are plenty of cheap accommodation, we didn´t book ahead any of those.
    The prices in the restaurants (there´s only few of them in Kendwa and Nungwi) are quite cheap. A dinner 5-10S, beer/coke 1-2S..
    I don´t know about surfing, but the best beaches are in north part of the island especially in Kendwa.
    If you go to Kendwa you must go to the finnish sauna in the Kendwa Rocks, it´s amazing!
    Spend at least one night in Stone Town, wonderful place, I spent one week there and could go again! There´s lots of accommodation from luxory 5-star hotels to nice hotels which are almost free!
    It´s also very easy to travel around the island with the minibuses which the locals use or the private minivans which are also cheap and the drivers can take you anywhere. It takes about 1.5-2 hours to get from Stone town to east- or north coast.
    Have a nice trip, enjoy the reggae;) and if you have more questions just let me know!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Zanzibar Island Travel Answer Locations