Zanzibar Island Travel Answers

change location

Pongwe hotel/Paje

by hillman1 Online Now Jul 4, 2005 at 10:53 AM

Hello there,

I am planning to stay at the Pongwe hotel on the south-east coast for several days this August. Does anyone have information on the the scuba diving in the area: recommended sites, dive centers etc. I am a moderate scuba diver, but have about 5 days to dive and want to dive at a variety of sites. Also, any information on other attractions in the area and the nightlife would be appreciated. I now realise that the top places to dive are in the north-east or close to stonetown, but as I am already in advanced stages of booking, I will settle for some good places near Paje (including sites that can be reached by boat or different towns that need to be driven to).
Also, how long is the drive from Paje to Stonetown? How much would such a ride cost by cab? or any other means available?
If familiar with Paje - are there many restaurants in the area? any chance of a mini-market where I can buy my own food?
I have seen several inquiries about the above hotel, but no answers, so I assume no one has stayed there. If you have, please share your experiences. Where is the main Zanzibar airport located? How far is it from Stonetown?
To all the scuba divers out there - does anyone know how long I should wait after diving before I fly back to the mainland?

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Pongwe hotel

by danellia Online Now Nov 5, 2005 at 7:08 AM

Hi danny , i stayed at pongwe with my girlfriend in june and it was the best beach experience of my life , the place is paradise and just what me and my girlfriend wanted , the staff and accomodation was first class and the food served was the best we had on the island , all our trips were organised from the hotel including diving with a good dive center in matemwe and we dived on memba atoll which was stunning, while we were there we went all round the island and reall saw nothing to compare , it said it was the nearest thing to a perfect beach in the rough guide but seeing it you know why kind regards danellia and jim

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Zanzibar Island Travel Answer Locations