Things to do

by iona26 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

hi what is there to do in the summer apart from cycling or hiking

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Re: Things to do

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

The town itself is pretty much a theme park, with any number of diversions. If that's not good enough for you, make your way up to Gubalowka Hill, with an array of diversions from pony rides to zipline rides. See

zakopane-life.com/poland/gub...

for more details.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Tatra Mountains, Morskie Oko Lake, the Funicular, the Cableway and several museums may keep you occupied. As well as hiking and cycling there is climbing and paragliding.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I will be there in summer myself. I've had a look on vt pages and on the Zakopane website. What was recommended to me by two VT'ers, was the raft trip through the Dunajec Gorge. You can go on your own or on a tour.
    discoverzakopane.com/rafting...

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

There is pretty much to do in Zakopane and around it. It depends if you want to do some short distance trips by car or public transport?

As balhannah said rafting trips in Dunajec Gorge is good idea. It is already another area - Pieniny Mountains - also very beautiful and completely different than Tatra because made of white limestone. You can also hike there and do some cycling trips. While beeing on a rafting trip you should put it together with visiting famous Niedzica castle and dam.

In Zakopane and surroundings are some thermal pools utilizing the region’ natural energy resources - it is good idea to visit them after a hiking trip to relax :)

In summer time there are also many cultural events - festivals, concerts etc. Many of them are connected with highlanders culture.

And of course numerous museums and cultural monuments. I.e. church in Dębno is on UNESCO worlds heritage list. It is on the wooden architecture trail in Lesser Poland - there are many more examples of wooden architecture monuments, mainly churches but not only. Some are gathered in heritage museums. Another is gothic architecture trail.

You can also take part in outdoor photography sessions to capture wildlife in the mountains. You can do it together with professiolnal photographer or a mountain guide who knows the best places or of course on your own:)

And many other things to do! If you want to know more visit my blog: geographers-eye.blogspot.com... - I write there i.a. about Zakopane and neighbourhood at least once a week. It is new, but till your arrival it will be full of many information ;)

• evaanna's Profile Photo

by evaanna Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Have a look at my VT pages on Bukowina Tatrzanska, Jurgow, Niedzica, Pieniny, Chocholow. Lots of places to see in the area of Zakopane and events, like festivals of highlanders' culture, to attend. Try the gorgeous local food - I recommend some restaurants on my pages and there are more that are worth visiting as well. If you have a car at your disposal, you could go sightseeing in Slovakia. You will find some suggestions on my Vysoke Tatry and Kezmarok pages. Actually, a car would be useful to see the villages around Zakopane, too - the buses do not run frequently enough.

2 members found this helpful

• 68maciek's Profile Photo

by 68maciek Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Apart from cycling and hiking?
    First of all cycling and hiking in Zakopane must be pretty boring (not like in Tatry ;-). However probably some walk and bike there through the ugly 'main stree' called Krupowki to watch and being watched.
    Not much apart really (few museums for connoisseurs). But wodka and beer (or a bear if you are extremely lucky), sex and rock&roll- ooops pardon is avaialbe there. However Krakow is much better for the nightlife (according to my daughter of course ;-).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines