Zagreb Travel Answers

change location
jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Several hours in Zagreb

by jonathanbarker Online Now Oct 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Dober dan, My friend and I are travelling through Croatia and eventually want to end up in Split. Our journey from Ljubljana will be by train and I think we'll be arriving about midday.

We would like some advice, about how best to spend a few hours in this city as we believe there is an overnight train onward to Split.

Last year another friend was travelling through Croatia between Budapest and Ljubljana and had a stop in Zagreb and said what a wonderful place it was.

It would be nice to meet some local people, and receive some local advice on where we could have a good inexpensive CROATIAN meal in the city.

Puna hvala
Perhaps there are walking tours?

What are the trains like going to Split, will we need to book?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • CyberCroat's Profile Photo

Re: Several hours in Zagreb

by CyberCroat Online Now Oct 7, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Hope it’s not too late for a respond.

Arriving from Ljubljana, you will come to the very center of Zagreb, the railway central (Glavni kolodvor). Zagreb is not a big city and you can tour it on food. Anyway, you’ll see the Cathedral towers right after you exit the station, walk that way (cca 10 min walk). Once you get to the main square (Trg bana Jelacica) you’ll see the Tourist Info Center there – go inside and get a free walking map and… well, walk ;)

See the area around central square, Cathedral, go Upper Town (Gornji Grad with St Mark church), go back down and walk to Croatian National Theatre area. Sit down in Tkalciceva Street or Cvjetni trg (Flower Square) for a beer of coffee, do some people watching. That should keep you busy.
    Eating options: Stari Fijaker (Mesnicka St), Didov san (Upper Town, Mletacka St), Vallis Aurea (Tomiceva St). All these places are very close to the main square.

No need to book in advance your train.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines