Zagora Travel Answers

change location

where to go to 3 nights camel safari off the beaten track

by schildkroete Online Now Nov 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

hi, we want to do a 2-3 night / 3-4 day max trip by camel over new years eve! not counting the travel from / to marrakesch.
important is: the fewer other camel safaris, 4wd, other western zivilisation around, the better. we are looking for The Nature Experience!
we planned to go to erg lehoudi starting from zagora, but now read there might be a "rubbish in the dunes problem". is iriki oasis an option? any other ideas? experiences with tour operators? thank you very much. your desert tortoise.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: where to go to 3 nights camel safari off the beaten track

by angiebabe Online Now Nov 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM

For me I would recommend doing a trip like that in the Merzouga dunes - the largest dunes are there - but both areas do not really have what you are worrying about 'other camel safaris' and western civilisation to be much bother - they are big areas and in all the 7 years Ive been going there Ive so many times been the only foreigner wherever Ive been - or maybe Ive seen a couple of others or here and there a group on a bunch of camels - and Ive camped out there too a lot ot times - and also in that sort of time frame while you are out for 3 days youd probably be lucky to see another westerner - and actually where in the world can you guarantee that you wont

- but the fact that getting to Merzougas dunes is so much easier and you can drive straight to the dunes where you can get on your camels and set off is a major advantage - going from Zagora is miles from the desert ie an hour and half by car to get to the end of the road at Mhamid and where erg Lehoudi which is a little desert area nearby that tourists go to camp overnight or do a short camel trip when they dont have time or budget to go the 40 km from Mhamid to the nearest dunes of Erg Chigaga.

If you have a look at my hotel tip for Riad Aicha on my Merzouga page, and its also in my Morocco page, I would recommend them to investigate and do a trip with - they do good value camel trips and will do you a good price and good itinerary for that length of time - you will be able to see/go past bedouins who still live out way out in the desert and to oases and where its really beautiful out there.

Also do a google to look up a desert music festival thats usually on at new year down there in the Merzouga desert which you might like to go to if the dates are right.

For the Zagora/Erg Chigaga area if you look at my tip on Riad Malal in my Zagora page they have a good agency and are excellent people and would look after you wonderfully if you wanted to do a camel trip out from Zagora or from Mhamid.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines