Yuma Travel Answers

change location

Looking for route advice

by headedsouth Online Now Dec 19, 2009 at 10:30 PM

We are headed south for the first time in early January and are looking for advice on the best route to take from Alberta to Yuma. We are hoping to avoid bad weather/roads and big climbs as we will be pulling a Fifth wheel.All suggestions appreciated.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Basaic's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for route advice

by Basaic Online Now Dec 19, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I would suggest taking Interstate 15 south all the way to Las Vegas and then taking US Highway 95 from just south of Las Vegas directly to Yuma. The interstate is usually kept clear of snow better than the lesser roads. I have not driven the entire route; but interstates usually are not as steep as the backroads either. Crossing the Rockies will be the hard part. Drive safe, my friend.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Dec 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM

That's my (our - MrL's the driver) advice too.

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

by Camping_Girl Online Now Dec 20, 2009 at 10:08 AM

That is the best route, but you will still have to keep an eye on the weather around Idaho Falls. If it's going to storm anywhere along the way, that's where it will happen. So if the weather is questionable when you get there, I'd recommend stopping for the night. Once you get past Idaho Falls it should pretty much be clear sailing all the way.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Dec 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I agree with the above advise. The further south, the better the conditions. Good luck,

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines