Yukon Territory

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Propane in the yukon and alaska?

Yukon Territory Apr 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM

We are looking at buying a camper to travel Yukon and Alaska for summer. the camper is on propane gas. does anyone know how many places that are to fill up propane?

1 Answer Apr 10, 2014 at 3:03 AM
    • Mary-StewG's Profile Photo

Year round RV parks?

Yukon Territory Jan 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

We are driving out from Alaska in MArch and our RV is capable of winter camping. I am having a tough time finding RV parks open year round. Can anyone please tell me any place open year round (March) along the Alaska Hwy? MAny many thanks!

2 Answers Jan 29, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    • Any advice for driving in january?

Yukon Territory Oct 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM

i'm moving to cheyenne, wyoming from fairbanks in january, can anyone give me any advice or information on what the roads are like in canada? i believe i'll be driving on the alcan all the way to yellowhead highway and then onto caribou highway. Or any advice on what i should do to prep for this trip?
      thanks!

2 Answers Oct 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    • LukeD17's Profile Photo

Whitehorse to Kluane Lake

Whitehorse Oct 8, 2013 at 5:05 AM

is it possible to get to the start of the slim west route near Lake Kluane from Whitehorse using public transport or a transport company? and if so how much would it cost?

• Winter Holiday to Whitehorse

Yukon Territory Oct 17, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Whitehorse with my boyfriend in early January. We hope to see the Northern Lights and go dog sledding. We are from Australia and are finding it very hard to imagine the cold weather!

We are looking for some advice regarding areas to stay in Whitehorse, and how to get around the city. I contacted a B&B slightly out of the city, and they suggested we hire a car. Is driving possible during January around Whitehorse? Alternatively we would rather get around by local transport, is there any public transport available?

Thanks for your help!

1 Answer Nov 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    • CdnJane's Profile Photo

Internet/Cellphone Connection

Yukon Territory May 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Just curious about the main connection. I have Rogers as my provider for the cellphone. Who covers Whitehorse area and/or Haines Junction? Is it worth taking a Rocket stick up there?
      What about connection when taking the Alaska Ferry up - while going through the Inside Passage is there connection? Or is it a roaming area or blanked out area? Oh dear, sounds like I want to be in contact everywhere. More curiosity than anything else since I'm not a text-er and rarely ever turn on my cellphone anywhere else!

4 Answers Nov 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    • CdnJane's Profile Photo

September in Whitehorse

Whitehorse Aug 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM

An Aussie friend and I are considering driving, mid-September 2012, from Skagway to Whitehorse (yes, we are aware that he has to rent the car as Canadian law won't allow a car rented in the US by a Canadian into Canada! Makes no sense that an Aussie can rent the car!) Is this a safe drive at that time of year? (ie, it IS too early for snow, right???) I'm assuming we have to be wary of moose and other wildlife on the roads? Are the Northern Lights visible in September? What about returning via Haines Junction, and the Haines Highway? I know we'd have to get the ferry from Haines to Skagway, but is that a viable idea?
      Any hotels that we should avoid? Since we have a car, it does mean we don't have to stick to downtown hotels or ones by the airport - any highly recommended places for just one night? Any restaurants that really are must go to's? We're not looking for high-end - just good food, and hopefully locally sourced.
      Thank you for your assistance. VTers are the best!

2 Answers Sep 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    • Oatlad's Profile Photo

Hows fishing?

Haines Junction May 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM

We drive up and down the AlCan every summer and always really like Kluane Lake. We never see boats on the lake and wonder if and what kind of fish are found there, if there are any guiding services or outfitters nearby, and what kind of luck can I expect fishing in early June or early August.

1 Answer May 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    • Oatlad's Profile Photo

How's the road?

Yukon Territory May 11, 2011 at 2:07 PM

We are leaving Fairbanks by June 1st to drive down the AlCan Highway to the "lower 48". When we drove up last August the road between Haines Junction and the border was in pretty poor shape. Has anyone driven down lately who can tell me what its like now?

• Things to do in Dawson

Dawson Feb 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I'M TAKING A CRUISE TOUR THROUGH DAWSON AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD DONE SOME OF THE EXCURSIONS? i WAS CONSIDERING THE TAKHINI HOT SPRINGS AND THE WHITE WATER RAFTING WITH TATSHENSHINI EXPEDITIONS. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

• internet access

Haines Junction Aug 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Are there any hotels in Haines Junction with wifi access?

1 Answer Aug 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    • Whitehorse in winter

Whitehorse Feb 14, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Hello All
      I am coming to Whitehorse in December as part of my round the world trip
      I already found a hostel where to stay, but I do have some other questions...

1) What is the weather like in December? much snow? any -40 days?
      2) Are the northern lights visible regularly in winter? does Whitehorse gets ice fog like Yellowknife?
      3) What's the downtown area like?
      4) Any organized tours/activities I can do while I am there?
      5) Any dangerous animals roaming around the city?

Thanks!

3 Answers May 19, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    • BonnieB49's Profile Photo

Winter traveling

Yukon Territory Sep 13, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I plan to travel from Alaska to Montana in October in my RV. Can anyone tell me what the weather/road conditions are like in October thru the YT and BC? Is it safe to travel in an RV during that time of the year?

2 Answers Sep 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    • Outdoordude's Profile Photo

Ivvavik hiking sheep creek - Komakuk beach

Old Crow Jan 8, 2009 at 11:47 AM

to readers:
      preparing for July 2010, I have some rough ideas.
      We will ben landing at Whitehorse.
      1. Wanting to do the Donjek route, how do I get to the starting point.
      2. Getting to Sheep Creek (by plane)(Ivvavik) to hike to Komakuk beach.get out by plane again.
      what airline will give a good deal, need I go to Inuvik as jump of point or can I get there from Whitehorse?

We will be coming with a group of 5-6 persons
      Tjek www.get2canada.tk for the guy behind the mail

Thank you
      regards, Erwin

• Outdoordude's Profile Photo

Donjek route

Kluane National Park Jan 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM

to readers:
      preparing for July 2010, I have some rough ideas.
      We will ben landing at Whitehorse.
      1. Wanting to do the Donjek route, how do I get to the starting point.
      2. Getting to Sheep Creek (by plane)(Ivvavik) to hike to Komakuk beach.get out by plane again.
      what airline will give a good deal, need I go to Inuvik as jump of point or can I get there from Whitehorse?

We will be coming with a group of 5-6 persons
      Tjek www.get2canada.tk for the guy behind the mail

Thank you
      regards, Erwin

• Yukon Dlilemma

Yukon Territory Apr 3, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I was looking into planning a trip to the Yukon with my wife, who is a little less adventurous than I am and may require a little more comfort. I like to camp and fish, she likes to relax. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to satisfy both of our travel needs?

3 Answers Sep 2, 2008 at 8:00 AM
    • Travel with Agent

Yukon Territory May 13, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Hello,

we are currently planing out trip to yukon. Arrival will be Sept 4th in Whitehorse.
      The trip should contain various actions, like a long kanu trip as well a long hike, , so maybe best would be hire a travel agent for the whole period. Can someone recommend a good agend or office ? So far I havĀ“nt found any agent for september.

Thanks & regards,
      Andi

1 Answer May 13, 2007 at 5:40 PM
    • Transportation frrom airport

Whitehorse Apr 17, 2007 at 9:03 AM

I would like to know if there are some public tranportation from the airport to
      the certer of the city.
      Thank you
      Cezanne
      Quebec

2 Answers Apr 17, 2007 at 12:20 PM
    • CesVT's Profile Photo

Driving from Skagway to Fairbanks (or Anchorage)

Yukon Territory Mar 26, 2007 at 5:58 AM

I was thinking of using the bus lines from Whitehorse to Fairbanks, via Dawson City (not sure there are still connections from Skagway, as Alaska Direct doesn't seem to have a website anymore), but the agency I enquired with seems to favor the car rental option (maybe for business reasons, of course)... My problem is, I'm not sure it would be reasonable for somebody like me, who never drives (I've got my licence, but, living in Paris, I don't own a car and only use public transportation...), to head into the Yukon on my own and onto gravel roads right after mid-May... Never even drove an automatic car!
      So, does anybody around here have any experience of such a drive, and do you think the idea is completely insane, given the circumstances??
      Thanks!

3 Answers Apr 21, 2008 at 1:44 AM
    • Whitehorse to Anchorage by bus

Yukon Territory Mar 6, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Anyone know of a bus company that'll get me from Whitehorse to Anchorage at the end of April? (I'm not flying!!) Any help at all would be great thanks!

2 Answers Mar 28, 2007 at 3:39 AM
    • banff to yukon

Yukon Territory Jan 5, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Hey me and my girlfriend are coming over to canada in march 2007, were going to start off with a bit of skiing in banff then thinking about heading up to the yukon, could anyone recommend ways of travelling there and a rough idea of price's, and any hostel's that can be recommended to stay in
      thanks rich

2 Answers Jan 12, 2007 at 12:32 PM
    • Banff to youkon

Yukon Territory Jan 5, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Hey me and my girlfriend are coming over to canada in march 2007, were going to start off with a bit of skiing in banff then thinking about heading up to the yukon, could anyone recommend ways of travelling there and a rough idea of price's, and any hostel's that can be recommended to stay in
      thanks rich

• andreit108's Profile Photo

Backpacking Yukon, would like to work and live there for a while

Yukon Territory Nov 2, 2006 at 7:49 AM

Hi, I'm from Quebec and I would very much like to take a trip to the Yukon by backpacking.
      My questions are; What are the rules for free camping in yukon? How hard is it to find work and how expensive are the rents? land? I would really like to make this project possible and with your help, it won't be so hard.

Thank you.

3 Answers Dec 19, 2006 at 8:02 AM
    • inbavaria's Profile Photo

Road Conditions in July

Yukon Territory Oct 9, 2006 at 1:09 PM

Greetings,
      my family and I will drive through BC and YT next year and ultimately Alaska. I wonder if anyone can give me tips about road conditions in general during the month of July. For example, according to MapQuest, the driving time from Stewart, BC to Watson Lake, YT on Route 37 takes 15 hours yet it's only 400 miles. That would be a bit too much to drive in one day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I know, get a map! but BC/YT maps are hard to come by in Munich :-)
      Many thanks and best wishes,
      Jerry

5 Answers Oct 15, 2006 at 5:24 AM
    • Donjek Route

Yukon Territory Jun 5, 2006 at 12:27 PM

We are planning a 2-week 100km Donjek Route trip in mid-June 2006. Two weeks should give us enough time not only to complete the route but also make Mt. Hoge ascent and some glacier day-trips. Since this is an off-trail route, we are looking for anyone who has done it to get some tips. Any tips on the route as well as Donjek glacier and Mt. Hoge ascent will be appreciated. Our special interest is finding someone who can advise on the best river crossing points.

• Hotels?

Baker Lake May 3, 2006 at 1:44 AM

What kind of accomodations are available to tourists in Baker Lake and what is the best time to travel there?

1 Answer May 4, 2006 at 12:14 PM
    • Road trip advice

Yukon Territory Apr 28, 2006 at 10:07 AM

I am planning a road trip from Denver, to Seattle, and up through the Yukon to Alaska beginning in mid May. I have the Mile Post, but know so little about this region. Any suggestions? I'd love to chat with anyone who has done this and who's familiar with the terrain, region, people, etc.

Thanks!!

2 Answers May 1, 2006 at 5:13 PM
    • Fuel Prices april, 6th 2006

Whitehorse Apr 6, 2006 at 4:13 PM

I would like to know what the price per liter of diesel is in Whitehorse, YT, Canada and the surrounding area is at the present time and what may be expected this summer (if known). We are planning another trip to Alaska and northern Canada with a diesel truck and a 5th wheel trailer. Thank you!!!

4 Answers Apr 18, 2006 at 12:50 PM
    • What about mosquitos?

Yukon Territory Jan 25, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Hello,

I want to go to Yukon in August 2006 for my wedding travel. We are affraid by french people who say that there are many mosquitos during this period,is it true? Is it a real problem for motorhome trip?

4 Answers Apr 20, 2008 at 9:43 PM
    • rpatterson's Profile Photo

Info on Stewart Lake in Yukon

Stewart Lake Sep 30, 2005 at 7:17 PM

The "Angry Beaver Fishing Gang" is considering a trip to Stewart Lake in the Yukon next summer (2006). Would really appreciate any feedback about the lake if anyone has fished there before. Would like to get a little unbiased info before we commit to the local outfitter. If anyone would be willing to talk on the phone re: this please reply with your phone number and I will call at your convenience and at my expense. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Randell Patterson
      Farmington, New Mexico, USA

11 Answers Oct 23, 2005 at 7:15 AM