Yosemite National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• RV or not RV

by Togs61 Online Now Mar 17, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Hi, planning a post retirement ( Military/LE ) trip to the West Coast this July. We have booked most of the trip but I would value your advice. Boyhood dream to visit Yosemite, although my wife and 2 teenage daughters ambivalent! We have booked an RV out of San Francisco for 4 nights to head to Yosemite, unfortunately we couldn't get any site in the Valley and have secured 2 nights at Hodgdon Meadow!! My question is ;- should we continue with the RV plan and look to drive into the valley on a daily basis so I can hike OR should we hire a car, stay at a good hotel (girls can use the pool etc) and I can drive into the valley to hike. What do you think?

more
    • Yosemite and Sequoia in April 3rd week

by apstoys Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

We are a few friends meeting up in Fresno for our trip to Yosemite and Sequoia. We reach Fresno on the night of 16th April, and we have until the afternoon of 20th April to get back to Fresno. I understand that many roads would be closed during this time of the year. Please help us plan our itinerary, how much time to spend where etc.. We are interested in easy-moderate hikes.

more
    • Water falls

by Melsand Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

what will the water falls be like in late August we will be on a one day visit from san francisco is a bus best or hire car 7 drive our selves

more
    • Yosemite National Park and Sonoma and Napa Valley

by lford5052 Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We are going to SFO the first week of May. What are the major points to visit in Yosemite Park? Can you see enough in a day? Next, we want to travel to Sonoma and Napa Valley? Do you recommend both, or one over the other. We have 4 days to do these things and then we will be in SFO for a week for a conference. Can you recommend places to stat in Yosemite and Sonoma/Napa Valley?

more
    • Yosemite and Sequoia in April 3rd week

by apstoys Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

We are a few friends meeting up in Fresno for our trip to Yosemite and Sequoia. We reach Fresno on the night of 16th April, and we have until the afternoon of 20th April to get back to Fresno. I understand that many roads would be closed during this time of the year. Please help us plan our itinerary, how much time to spend where etc.. We are interested in easy-moderate hikes.

2 Answers Apr 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    • Yosemite National Park and Sonoma and Napa Valley

by lford5052 Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We are going to SFO the first week of May. What are the major points to visit in Yosemite Park? Can you see enough in a day? Next, we want to travel to Sonoma and Napa Valley? Do you recommend both, or one over the other. We have 4 days to do these things and then we will be in SFO for a week for a conference. Can you recommend places to stat in Yosemite and Sonoma/Napa Valley?

10 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    • Water falls

by Melsand Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

what will the water falls be like in late August we will be on a one day visit from san francisco is a bus best or hire car 7 drive our selves

7 Answers Mar 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    • RV or not RV

by Togs61 Online Now Mar 17, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Hi, planning a post retirement ( Military/LE ) trip to the West Coast this July. We have booked most of the trip but I would value your advice. Boyhood dream to visit Yosemite, although my wife and 2 teenage daughters ambivalent! We have booked an RV out of San Francisco for 4 nights to head to Yosemite, unfortunately we couldn't get any site in the Valley and have secured 2 nights at Hodgdon Meadow!! My question is ;- should we continue with the RV plan and look to drive into the valley on a daily basis so I can hike OR should we hire a car, stay at a good hotel (girls can use the pool etc) and I can drive into the valley to hike. What do you think?

4 Answers Mar 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    • Yosemite West or Foresta Accommodations

by lauriemack Online Now Feb 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM

We are planning an early May trip to Yosemite and prefer to stay in a small home/condo/duplex in either Yosemite West or Foresta instead of a hotel in the Valley or southern section of the park. We realize that Foresta would be closer but the place I like best is in Yosemite West. Any comments or suggestions about either area being a better spot than the other? This will be our first visit to YNP & will likely stay about 8 nights. Thanks in advance for your comments.

8 Answers Feb 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    • Booking Glacier Point Tour

by crazymum Online Now Nov 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Hi

I've tried before and after NPS shut down to contact Yosemite via the website - contact us portion - every time my email bounces back

What I need to do is to book the Glacier Point tour for next June - I have a 24 hour window - hence the urgency - has anyone got an email address that doesn't bounce back, or a direct line to phone them next week- all suggestions much appreciated

Many thanks

4 Answers Nov 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    • Yosetime stargazing november

by moonldy Online Now Oct 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Are there stargazing tours in November?

7 Answers Oct 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    • fire 8/2013

by maria0521 Online Now Sep 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM

hoe is the fire in 8/2013 will affect my trip in 4/2014

4 Answers Sep 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    • how is the fire in 8/13 affect my trip for april 2014 to the park

by maria0521 Online Now Sep 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM

how is the fire in 8/13 affect my trip for april 2014 to the park

2 Answers Sep 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    • Fire in Yosemite

by limjialun Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Hi all, if we are going to yosemite now, are there still parts not affected by the fire in yosemite which we can enjoy the view? where is it?

thank you

5 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    • mckinney3's Profile Photo

Hwy 120 East to Mono Lake (hwy 395). Is it open to cars?

by mckinney3 Online Now Sep 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

When I leave Yosemite, I want to drive North on Big Oak Flat Road to the intersection with 120 and go east to Mono Lake and intersect with 395. I am having NO luck with Google Maps letting me plot that route by car. Is it not open to cars or....?

thx

dan

11 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    • Clothes in november

by Donabix Online Now Sep 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Hi!
      What kind of clothes should I pack in early November?
      Thanks!

26 Answers Sep 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

ROAD CLOSED

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Currently, Hwy 120 over the Sierra Mtns is closed near YNP due to a large forest fire. There is no ETA for it to reopen. If you need to get from one side to the other there are couple of different ways around the fire that are not that far out of the way. From the more northern side at Sacramento take either Hwy 50 or Hwy 80 over to Hwy 395. You can also go more southern to Bakersfield and take Hwy 58 over (better if going to Las Vegas). On the east side of the Sierras you can do the same by going north or south on Hwy 395. My favorite route is to use Hwy 88/89 off Hwy 49 (at Jackson) to go over to South Lake Tahoe.

10 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    • 4 days trip

by 12yifat Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Hello,
      We are family of 4 adults (children are 23 and 25) and planning to have a 4 days trip on 20/Sep after leaving San Francisco, and before arriving Las Vegas.
      Could someone help me to plan these 4 days? I have already booked the first night at Lake Tahoe. Our flight to Vegas is from Fresno.

Thank you for any help/ideas.

7 Answers Aug 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    • Honeymoon in October

by jenl0401 Online Now Jul 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Hi Everyone! We are an Aussie couple travelling around the world for our honeymoon in 2014 and are planning a stay in / near Yosemite (it's on both our bucket lists) in mid-October. We've not been before, so were wondering how long we should stay for? Would five nights be too long? We have found a place to stay that we like just to the east of Summerdale Campground - is this a good spot to view the park? The week before we are in BC to see the bears / salmon run, so we plan on flying into CA to pick up a car and drive to the park - would we be best to fly in Sacramento do you think? Any other tips would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

7 Answers Jul 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    • Travelling from Santa Monica

by Glasgowlegalsec50 Online Now Jul 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM

We are British tourists travelling from Santa Monica to Tenaya Lodge, Yosemite (2 adults, 3 children). Can you perhaps recommend somewhere that our family could stop or visit for a couple of hours roughly half way between Santa Monica and Yosemite? Thank you. Martin

7 Answers Jul 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    • South Lake Tahoe to Yosemite route

by palanis Online Now Jun 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I am planning to travel on route 395-S and CA-120 to reach Yosemite from South Lake Tahoe. Would like to know whether the road will be open in June last week and how is the drive itself?

This is kind of first time, I am driving in hills and your replies are appreciated

8 Answers Jun 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    • Reno to Yosemite

by dchrist1 Online Now Jun 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM

How long is the drive from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite NP. Recommended places to stay at either or both ends of the drive?

6 Answers Jun 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    • LukeC15's Profile Photo

Is a 4WD necessary in summer for Yosemite NP

by LukeC15 Online Now May 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I will be travelling to Yosemite NP for the first time in June. Is there any benefit to having a 4WD? or should i just hire a sedan?

Cheers.

4 Answers May 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    • samitbabu's Profile Photo

Driving from SFO to Yosemite

by samitbabu Online Now May 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have a few questions on this :
      I am travelling from SFO to Yosemite (Grovelands) on a Saturday. of July 2013.
      Can you guys please advise on the time taken for a regular trip?
      Is it possible without a GPS navigator?

Thanks,
      Samit

8 Answers May 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    • samitbabu's Profile Photo

Preferable staying Location - Need help to decide ..

by samitbabu Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Hi
      Me and family are going to Yosemite for 2 nights.
      We are driving from SFO... and will drive down to LA fromhere.

I have presenly got 2 places booked and need to decide which one to keep:
      They are at :
      1. June Lake
      2. Sonorra.

Based on the main viewing points:I need to work out which one would be a better place.
      I understand Sonorra is a shorter route from SFO and into LA, but how far is it from Yosemite Park gates.
      WIll it be closer to the main

Yosemite Falls
      Bridalveil Fall
      Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias
      Tunnel View
      Glacier Point Rd

Answers Appreciated....

11 Answers May 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    • Transportation between Yosemite Valley (the Ahwahnee) and Tuolumne Meadows

by Joyce_B Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I need to transport six hikers from the Ahwahnee to start a hike at Tuolumne Meadows and a week later to return. The bus takes a long time, stopping for sightseeing, etc. Is there a more direct way? Is there a taxi service? I don't mind paying a reasonable cost.

3 Answers Mar 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    • JuanC67's Profile Photo

Going this July with my girlfriend

by JuanC67 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Hey, I am goign with my girlfriend to visti fresno and we want to expend 2 nights in yosemite park, we need advices about evrything, which camping zone you recommend us, where can i make reservations, what part of the park would be the best to visit since we are only going for like 3 days, We are from Colombia and i hope everyone could help us

4 Answers Mar 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    • Approaching Yosemite from East

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We are going end July,will be approaching Yosemite from the east, following previous advice (coming from Death Valley)will be staying around the mono lake area and starting early for trip in and enjoying the Tioga Road, we can still get in at Yosemite View Lodge (expensive) but this means we can be up early for full day in the park. Combined with our trip in on the Tioga road will we get a flavour of Yosemite or are we rushing it? You may have read my previous question, we are doing a loop Vegas/Death Valley/Yosemite/HWay1 (in 10 days)...very ambitious! I know this is not a general forum but are we crazy?

4 Answers Mar 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    • Death Valley to Yosemite

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Hi We are visiting in late July and after Death Valley we want to visit Yosemite. I am thinking of taking the 395 then off on the 120 into Yosemite is this the way to go...thing is we are from England and we dont see many deserts here! so just need some advice on if this is the right thing to do. We are planning on two possibly three days in the park but will post question later on that, main thing is will my wife still be talking to me after dragging here through the desert then off over the mountains! Hoping to stay furnace creek roughly how long for the trip baring in mind I will want lots of photos..oh and are there gas tations or food areas on the way? Im sure its fine its just the map looks remote.
      Thanks for taking time to read.

10 Answers Feb 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    • Visiting in Winter

by darhon Online Now Dec 10, 2012 at 3:35 AM

We are a family of 4, 2 kids 5yr and 3yr old looking to visiting California this December.
      We are doing the road trip up from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and figured since we are in San Francisco, it would be good to also visit the Yosemite Park and hopefully enjoy a bit of snow as well.
      As we will be in a rented car and understand that chain must be used, we figured it would be easiest to stay outside the park.
      I was looking at the town of Mariposa, then taking the shuttle bus into the valley( one day) and another day maybe going up to badger Pass for snow tubing.

I would like to know if there are any area for accommodation outside the park to look at, considering we won't have any chain?
      What about the drive from S.F. to Mariposa, will that route be Ok? Also would go from Mariposa direcctly to Los Angeles for our return flight. How is the road for that road?

And finally, is it worth it staying in Mariposa and taking the shuttle bus to the park worth it? We are really hoping to experience the snow, and if we could predict snow then I think we would be extremely pleased.

4 Answers Dec 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    • Hantavirus

by concernedmotherof3 Online Now Aug 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

We have a house reserved in Yosemite for Oct.2012. I am traveling with another family also.
      I have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and a 5 month old who will be traveling with us.
      I'm really concerned about the Hantavirus that is getting a lot of recent exposure.
      My kids are at that age where they can't keep their hands off anything and their curiosity
      beyond anything. Should I be concerned about taking them?

15 Answers Sep 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    • Snow in December?

by eharrismd Online Now Aug 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Hi - my family (2 adults, 3 kids) are planning on visitng Yosemite from Dec. 24-26, 2012. Hoping to play in the snow and ski/tube at Badger Pass. A couple of questions:

1) Is there a high likelihood of having snow there at the end of December?
      2) Is Badger Pass operational on Christmas day?

Thanks!

6 Answers Aug 20, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    • visiting Yosemite in August

by ebenezer133 Online Now Jul 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hi, Family of 4 visiting Yosemite this summer. Question on the difference between parking and taking the yosemite tours such as Glacier Point or Valley Tour or Grand Tour that cost anywhere from40=$80 OR can you see as much just taking the free shuttle around from stop to stop. Does the free shuttle get you to Glacier Point? Also where is the Ansel Adams Gallery? Is it better to stay near Mariposa or Groveland as far as distance into the park? Thanks for your help!

4 Answers Jul 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    • visiting the SF area in mid august

by torogrande Online Now Jun 26, 2012 at 4:03 AM

my family with children, all early 20's, will be in the SF area in mid august, and Yosemite is a definite place to see. what i'm thinking of doing, and would like some help with, is staying outside of the park, and driving in for probably 3 days. so any help with places to stay would be helpful also. entering the park, i'm trying to do some research and have decided that i would like to come in through the Wawona Tunnel into the Valley area and go from there. Places i have written down to see include Glacier Point, Yosemite Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Half Dome, El Capitan, and Mirror Lake. Please feel free to include anything else. Kinda sad that its gonna be mid august when we're there, would love to see the waterfalls, but i know its gonna be a wonderful time to be had anyway. so i was wondering if i was right about entering through Wawona Tunnel?

4 Answers Aug 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM