Yosemite National Park Travel Answers

change location

bryce to yosemite

by gapiffy Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM

from bryce/zion we will be traveling to yosemite and onto san fran -- any travelling tips -- we are now happy not to do death valley(though if some were included that would be good) -- so i guess up the western side of the mountain range -- how far can we get from the bryce/zion NPs to that side -- where are some nice places to stay /places of interest etc we would hope to stay one night on the way and then onto yosemite and onto San fran for the next night or maybe we need another night in thaere somewhere -- once again so happy for any input.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: bryce to yosemite

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I would pick a spot between the two or if you can get a room at the Zion Lodge then stay there and drive over to Bryce. I had a motorcycle trip planned to do that and as I recall it's only 80 miles between the two, not worth packing and unpacking.

In December from there to Yosemite to San Francisco you will probably want to do via Bakersfield, which could take you through Death Valley if you like. You could go up to Lake Tahoe and over Hwy 50 and down Hwy 49 to Yosemite, but it's sort of out of the way and you never know if those passes will be open when you get there. Probably Hwy 120 (Tioga Pass) will be closed by then, which would be your most direct route.

I would plan a couple of routes and check the weather and roads to see what is open.

For the most part, Hwy 58 over to Bakersfield is always open and from there you can take Hwy 99 south to Fresno and Hwy 41 to Yosemite.

Zion to Bakersfield to Yosemite with a nice place to stay in between? There aren't any. Just suck it up, drive the entire way and spend an extra night in Yosemite. Yosemite to San Francisco easy one day drive no over night.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Yosemite National Park