one of us can drive if need be

please suggest economical and safe way to travel

thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: yosemite to SF

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Drive, it's really the only reasonalbe option.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Also, forgot that is Memorial Day weekend so there will be plenty of traffic headed back into the bay area. If you need to be in SF by a set time then leave very early. I would allow at least four hours for what would usually take three or less. Hope you have RSVP in Yosemeite or any place else that weekend as Memorial Day weekend is a big three day weekend holiday. If you are flying out of SFO on Monday then allow extra time to check in and clear security.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

You don't mention how you got to Yosemite, so the easiest option might be to use that mode of transportation to get out of the valley.

Given that the roads are clear, yes it does snow in May, and the Holiday traffic is not bad, as mentioned, you might be able to drive in 4 hours if you rented a car to get there in the first place.

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Good point, because you won't be renting a car in YNP. The only public transit I know of from YNP is the YART which I think only takes you to Merced where you can catch AMTRAK into SF. Never done it but I am sure it will be an all day experience.

• Re: yosemite to SF

by drnaresh Online Now Apr 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM

thanks for instant and to the point reply

we have taken a 6 day tour of Tours 4 fun
    this starts from lasvega and ends at LA after yosemite
    we have to go from yoseite to SF as w have relatives with whom we stay for 4 days and proceed further

was looking a options how to go ba to san francisco

my sincere thanks to all replies and suggestions

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Unfortunately, James is right about the need to rent a car. The park service has been trying for many years without luck to discourage cars from coming to Yosemite, and when one goes there the negative impact of automobiles on Yosemite Valley is painfully obvious. For Yosemite to survive, cars really do need to be eliminated eventually. To make matters worse, if one wants to travel to Yosemite in the spirit of green living, a combination of BART and Amtrak are required to get to Merced, the gateway city on CA 140. I've seen buses destine for Merced parked at the end-of-the-line Dublin-Pleasanton BART Station, but in a quick Google investigation, I couldn't find this transit service. The city of Merced operates a transit system called "The Bus", which has regular connections with YARTS (Yosemite Area Transit System), which James mentions. Then YARTS does transit service between Mariposa, El Portal, and Yosemite fairly well. In the future, it appears that Merced and Yosemite will be more closely linked, because the California "bullet train" plans include a major station at Merced. If LA, SF, SJ, and Sacramento could have good fast transit access to Merced, then Yosemite Valley might have a chance to reduce the terrible scourge of automobile traffic.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Yosemite National Park