Yosemite National Park Travel Answers

change location

Visit in April

by Alkabir Online Now Jan 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone is able to advice on what sort of weather conditions we can expect in the first week of April. Is it still bitterly cold and very snowy therefore hiking requiring proper clothing and equipment or will it be a little more civilised by then? We like to get out and about but have a little comfort in the evenings. Can anyone also recommend any cheap but friendly / cosy lodgings?

Many thanks

Alison

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • CelticSu's Profile Photo

Re: Visit in April

by CelticSu Online Now Jan 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Temperatures in April can range between 32 (freezing) and 66 (relatively pleasant), but the weather can go from gorgeous to dangerous in a matter of an hour - very unpredictable, still, in April. That being said, I don't want to discourage you from going because it's a beautiful time of the year, waterfalls are flowing strongly as the snow is well into melting (although High Country areas such as Glacier Point and Tuolumne will likely not open until the end of May), and it's a more quiet time than later in the summer when the majority of tourists are in the valley ("a little more civilized by then"). Just come prepared for the vagaries of early Spring in the High Sierras!

You can get unheated tents at Curry Village for around60, or heated tents for around120 - both include breakfast. See: yosemitepark.com/default.asp... for more information.

Hope this helps - I love Yosemite at any time of the year, as long as I've brought along the right clothes! :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines