Yosemite National Park Travel Answers

change location

Approaching Yosemite from East

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We are going end July,will be approaching Yosemite from the east, following previous advice (coming from Death Valley)will be staying around the mono lake area and starting early for trip in and enjoying the Tioga Road, we can still get in at Yosemite View Lodge (expensive) but this means we can be up early for full day in the park. Combined with our trip in on the Tioga road will we get a flavour of Yosemite or are we rushing it? You may have read my previous question, we are doing a loop Vegas/Death Valley/Yosemite/HWay1 (in 10 days)...very ambitious! I know this is not a general forum but are we crazy?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Re: Approaching Yosemite from East

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM

You are not crazy. Over the summer I did a loop from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe, down to Yosemite (via Tioga rd), camped at Wawona, then out to Rt 1 the next day. Our loop went back north up route one. We spent a full day hiking the canyon floor and going up to Glacier Point. Wish we stayed longer in the park to hike more. However, just doing a loop hike on the canyon floor and Glacier Point, you will definitely get a good feel for the park. You will definitely see many highlights.

On the drive in on Tioga, stop at Olmsted Point. There is a short little 1/4 mile easy hike in and you will see the back side of Half Dome. Then when you arrive in the Valley to see the other side of Half Dome, it gave us a great sense of the park.

Sounds like a great trip!

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM

You will be fine. The lodge, if you can afford it will be great. Just be prepared to get up real early and go out.

1 member found this helpful

• acebruin's Profile Photo

by acebruin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

1 full day at yosemite should me more than enough to enjoy it. Where are you heading to after the park?

These are some of things to do that I've written: "Nature At Its Best!" - Yosemite National Park by acebruin

Make sure you stop by at the Mariposa Grove to check out gigantic trees! Glaciers point for a very nice view of the valley.

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Approaching Yosemite from East

by teresaandterry Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Thanks, have looked at your pages on Yosemite, inspiring stuff, you really make people want to visit. Cant wait.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Yosemite National Park