York

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Parking other than the market square

Masham Jul 3, 2014 at 3:43 AM

I've been to Masham just once before, other than the Market square are there other parking sites close by? Thanks

more
    • Craft Fair

Goathland Jul 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Hi,
      I heard about a (craft) fair in Goathland on 9-10 July.
      Can someone confirm?
      We are staying in Staithes, no car, travelling by bus, I wouldn't like to go there in the wrong date :-) though I know it's a lovely village.
      Thanks a lot!
      Antonella

more
    • Skinke's Profile Photo

Our vacation to England Winter 2010

by Skinke Online Now May 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Greetings friends. My wife and I will be vacationing in England in February 2010. We will be spending a week in York for the Viking Festival preceded by 4 days in London with a week between York and return flight to USA. We would love to hear some suggestions as to things to do, places to visit ( including possible overnight accommodations) both during the Viking Festival and the following week. My concerns during preliminary research have been weather, bus and train transport during the winter, driving conditions vis a vis american southerners if we should be renting a vehicle. There seems to be no end to the possibilities especially factoring Northumberland. We have already booked our accommodation for York but would like input on day trips from York and later some other ideas that would be seasonably doable. Thanks in advance for any advice. Hope to be able to reciprocate some day for any of you visiting USA.

9 Answers Jun 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    • Folk music in york

by hikeup Online Now May 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

We will be York on the weekend of June 14th. Are there any places where they have live folk music.

Thanks

• day trip around leeds / york

by hannaz Online Now May 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I will be in Leeds for a few days in sept. and would like to take an organised day trip in the area, as I am coming from abroad (no car!).
      Any suggestions?
      I thought about going to York and maybe Howard House, but I am open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

4 Answers May 19, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    • photos taken

by phillip450 Online Now Apr 10, 2009 at 2:07 PM

hi my wife and i are traveling to york and want to have our photos taken in roman costume.
      Is there a place in york that does this ?
      thank s
      phillip

1 Answer Apr 10, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    • Boating Holiday starting in York

by SDTraveler Online Now Jan 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Hello All,

I was hoping to rent a boat this summer for a week and cruise around some canal, rivers etc... and since I had never been to York I was thinking that might be an interesting place to start.

I was wondering if a) is this practical i.e. does York have river/canals suitable for exploring b) anyone know of a marina that rents boats - Cruisers NOT Narrow boats

If not York can anyone recommend a good area for that. I have already done the Thames/Oxford and I didn't think the Norfolk Narrows would have much to offer in terms of interesting places to stop

Thanks Much
      Steve

4 Answers Jan 23, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    • Nadia7's Profile Photo

Yorkshire Dales National Park

by Nadia7 Online Now Dec 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I am gonna travel round Yorkshire area at the end of the year and I am thinking about exploring the Yorkshire D.N.Park. Never been to that area (moreover in the winter)...is it a good idea to explore it in December/January? Taking into account the weather etc. Thank you. Or what places do u advise to see in that area? Towns, nature etc. Love it.

13 Answers Dec 19, 2008 at 5:24 AM
    • Tea in York

by traveltime08 Online Now Sep 30, 2008 at 7:37 AM

I will be spending a day in York in Nov. Can anyone reccommend a place for tea? How about a place for dinner? Suuggestions for must-sees, as daylight hours will be somewhat limited?

Thank you for your time and courtesy.

14 Answers Sep 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    • Kaysta's Profile Photo

Good, reliable taxi services on an evening in York??

by Kaysta Online Now Aug 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM

I think i'll be using a few taxis in York, as i'll be wearing a lot of heels that i simply cannot walk in on a night!

Do you know any taxis that are reliable for weekends? A few if you can, just incase :)

Thank you very much!

5 Answers Sep 22, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    • Kaysta's Profile Photo

Nice luxurious restaurant??

by Kaysta Online Now Aug 10, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Hello!

I'm coming to York for a long weekend on the 26th of September. I am taking a friend to York for the first time. I have been several times myself as i am from Leeds.

It's his birthday, so i am wanting to take him out on a Sunday, i know not all restaurants are open on this day.

Also, him being Spanish. It would be nice for him to go to a Spanish Tapas. Is there any classy Tapas that will be open on a Sunday evening?

Thanks in advance!

Kay

3 Answers Jan 18, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    • civic1500's Profile Photo

Help! Where can I find one night stay during weekend in York

by civic1500 Online Now Aug 6, 2008 at 3:07 AM

Anyone can advise where can I find a B&B which would offer a one night stay during weekend from 20 to 21 Sept. as I noted that most of them don't single night stay during weedend.
      Thanks.

4 Answers Aug 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    • Are the dungeons suitable for ten year olds ?

by denbie Online Now Feb 11, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Next week i am going to york !! Im taking me,my daughter,my freind and her daughter and the kids r both 10 years old and i wanted to know if the dungeons are suitable 4 both of them !! Thanx ( Plz right bak soon as we r going next week )

2 Answers Feb 17, 2008 at 12:45 AM
    • what different methods of travel can i use (london to york)

by sam2008 Online Now Jan 16, 2008 at 6:17 AM

hi

apart from the National Express East Coast train from London kings cross, what other easy and cheap methods can I use to get to York from London for example can i get a bus, or an express coach if so where in London would I be able to get it from. how long would it take.

if any one can help it would be very much appreciated

9 Answers Dec 14, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    • lilac_flower's Profile Photo

Durham - Whitby - York travel doubt

by lilac_flower Online Now Oct 1, 2007 at 4:17 AM

Hello,

I'm getting crazy with Traveline Journey Planner trying to plan the best and easier way to travel between Durham, Whitby and York.

The trip will be on a late November weekend. Me and my boyfriend we'll arrive on Saturday evening at Newcastle airport. The plan is to spend the night in Durham, a quick tour of the town on Sunday morning and then moving to Whitby and York (spending one night in each place) before catching the flight back at Newcastle airport on Tuesday evening.

The problem is the Durham - Whitby - York part of the journey.
      I can't figure out if it's better to travel from Durham to York by train and then take the Yorkshire Coastliner bus to Whitby
      or
      take the bus from Durham to Middlesbrough and then another bus to Whitby (this second options would be on a Sunday, so no way to take the Esk valley train!).

Both options seem to take a long journey time, like spending around 3 hours on the means of transports...should we rent a car instead? I have no idea!

Thanks in advance!

9 Answers Oct 1, 2007 at 2:52 PM
    • Travler from the states

by Lizarnold17 Online Now Sep 18, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Hi I'm Liz and I'm from the States...I'm arriving in York from London then going to Helmsley, and don't know where to start on transport...If any one can help it would be way cool...

3 Answers Sep 20, 2007 at 6:02 AM
    • sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Transport from York to Helmsley

by sugarpuff Online Now Aug 18, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Could anyone direct me to a timetable of buses from York to Helmsley please?

Also, I will be arriving in York from Manchester...would people recommend the train over coach or vice versus...the train is more expensive by 5 pounds but takes an hour less!

Thankyou VERY much!

16 Answers Aug 19, 2007 at 2:37 PM
    • Kaysta's Profile Photo

Luxury restaurant/hotel in York?

by Kaysta Online Now Jul 9, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Hello,

I've decided to celebrate my 21st birthday in York. I live in Leeds, so i know York pretty well, but haven't dined out on an evening. So as a treat, i'd like to have quality food in luxury/romantic setting. I'd appreciate it if you could recommend me a place to eat.

Thank you,

Kay :)

5 Answers Mar 7, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    • Romantic quiet restaurant

by banana70 Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 4:41 AM

Hello
      We are going to York for a night away from the kids in July. Have got the hotel sorted but thought it would be nice to step out to a restaurant in the centre for a lovely quiet romantic meal. This is the first time in 4 years we have been away for a night so don't want to get it wrong. What are your tips. We eat anything, the ambience is the more important thing! Looking forward to hearing from you.

2 Answers Jun 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM
    • Romantic quiet restaurant

by banana70 Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 4:39 AM

Hello
      We are going to York for a night away from the kids in July. Have got the hotel sorted but thought it would be nice to step out to a hotel in the centre for a lovely quiet romantic meal. This is the first time in 4 years we have been away for a night so don't want to get it wrong. What are your tips. We eat anything, the ambience is the more important thing! Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Yorkshire coast

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jun 15, 2007 at 12:38 AM

I've been to York lots of times and now want to see something of the Yorkshire coast other than Whitby, Scarborough, and Ron Hoods Bay.

I know there's bus service to Bridlington but wonder if there is another spot that might be better to visit. Any suggestions for the best way to get to the coast and the best seaside place to visit?

Thanks very much.

15 Answers Jun 20, 2007 at 1:02 AM
    • dooleygeo's Profile Photo

York/Wakefield/Leeds/Manchester Airport

by dooleygeo Online Now May 19, 2007 at 1:46 PM

My husband and I will be arriving in York on July 11th and departing for the US on July 14th. During the three days we have, we'd like to see some of the high spots in York, go to Wakefield (husband's ancestor's roots), Nottingham, Leeds, Batley and then arrive late in Manchester. We need suggestions if we should find one central place to stay for the nights of the 11th and 12th or if we should find two different places. We're planning on staying close to the Manchester Airport on the 13th. Also, should we hire a car or take the bus to get around? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

6 Answers Jun 15, 2007 at 12:33 AM
    • petrifiying well

by mizmo Online Now Apr 28, 2007 at 2:55 AM

having seen the petrifiying well on cbbc while watching with my granda-daughter, have found that it is in yorkshire, but, would you please be kind enough to send to me more information and exact location of the well as we would like to visit ourselves.

many thanks.

m moore.

4 Answers Apr 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM
    • Where is the best place in York to eat?

by mathewannis Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I'm looking for an old fashioned pub with good food - homemade soup, traditional fare etc etc. Any ideas?

3 Answers Dec 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    • dbarnett5's Profile Photo

York-Accomodations and Train Station

by dbarnett5 Online Now Mar 1, 2007 at 10:53 AM

I'll be arriving in London early on May 24, plan to spend the day exploring London before taking a late train to York. It may be late (near midnight) before I get to York. Are there accomodations close to the train station? Also, will I have any difficulty getting taxi service at that hour? Finally, approximately how long will it take me to drive from York to Sunderland?

5 Answers Mar 4, 2007 at 8:25 AM
    • Zoria's Profile Photo

Buses from York to Conwy, Wales (Or England-Wales)

by Zoria Online Now Feb 2, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I learned to know that buses are the cheapest way of travelling in England/Wales and will probably use that option from going to London-York. It's only about a 4 hours drive isn't it?

My real question was, how do i find bus routes from York to North Wales, for instance to Conwy? Have searched on the net but haven't found anything. It should also be possible to take a train from York to Conwy i think, but won't that be more expensive?
      Bus routes from England to Wales in general would also be nice to have.

Thanks in advance:-)

3 Answers Feb 3, 2007 at 7:53 AM
    • amyLbrown2002's Profile Photo

Getting to Castle Howard

by amyLbrown2002 Online Now Jan 10, 2007 at 4:35 AM

I will be in York mid-march, and would love to take a trip out to Castle Howard. However, I do not have a car. I know that there is a coach liner company that stops off there, but I have looked on their website and they only seem to run the service in Summer.

Any ideas on how I might be able to make the trip out?

2 Answers Jan 10, 2007 at 5:20 AM
    • Zoria's Profile Photo

Massage and treatments in York?

by Zoria Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Hello

Since i'm most likely going to York with my sweetheart, i'd love to have some beauty treatments and especially a body/backmassage.
      I've been searching around a bit on the net myself but only find lists of salons with phone numbers. I'd hope to find more than that, but i found a hotel with spa called the "Aldwark manor hotel". I'm a little uncertain though if they accept people who don't stay at the hotel to have treatments too?
      And spa places are usually very expensive, so does anybody know about any salons or something in York and around?

Thanks in advance:-)

7 Answers Jan 13, 2007 at 4:50 PM
    • cmbcne's Profile Photo

Several Questions

by cmbcne Online Now Jan 5, 2007 at 2:04 PM

I was born in Yorkshire a long time ago. I've lived in Canada since I was eight year sold and I've never been back. My kids just gave mea 63rd birthday present of a trip to England with my wife so I can visit my "roots".

Tentatively, we've worked out this itinerary (with a lot of gaps in the planning):
      May 29 -- arrive Heathrow at 12 noon. Clear customs and go directly to King's Cross station and a hop a train to Leeds (or York). On the 30th My wife would like to do a day trip to Edinburgh and back. The next day, the 31st, I'd want to hire a car, book out of the hotel then visit the towns of Horsforth and Yeadon while in that area. After a look at Horsforth and Yeadon, I'd drive on the M62 to the town of Milnrow (near Rochdale in Lancs.) and book into a B&B there. The next day, Friday June 1st, I'd spend visiting the place I grew up in before coming to Canada. Before coming back to London by train, my wife wanted to see if it was possible to take a one day tour to Belfast (presumably leaving from Liverpool, so we'd need to get to Liverpool and I'd want to turn in the rental car before going there, so I guess we'd have to catch a train ride from Rochdale or even Manchester.

This would leave us in Liverpool in the evening of Saturday the 2nd and I'd like to take a late train back to London to book into a hotel that day. my wife in Catholic and would dearly love to go to mass at Westminster Cathedral on Sunday, June 3rd.

So, here's my questions:
      (1) Suggestions for reasonably priced B&B or hotel in the Leeds area.
      (2) Recommendations for renting a car (automatic transmission a must, but otherwise a compact car would be fine)
      (3) Recommendations for a one day bus trip to get a peek at Edinburgh (I do realize that this is a very tight schedule all around)
      (4) Suggestion for B&B or hotel in or near Milnrow, Lancs.
      (5) Which trains would be available to get us from Milnrow/Rochdale area to Liverpool
      (6) Which tour companies might have a one day excursion to Belfast?
      (7) Which train lines might have a Liverpool to London run after the Belfast ferry gets back to Liverpool
      (8) Suggestions for a reasonably priced B&B or hotel in London -- not dead in the heart of London, but near the tube or busses.
      (9) Any other suggestions you can think of. Including, but not limited to, telling me to give my head a shake for cramming so much into a few days ;-)

Thanks, folks, and Happy New Year

21 Answers Dec 22, 2007 at 10:43 PM
    • travel to stansted airport early in the morning

by Anna_PZ Online Now Nov 15, 2006 at 9:35 AM

does anyone know how I can get to the stansted airport from york
      to catch a flight at 6.50 am? I would rather not take a B&B or sleep
      at the airport. I do not have a car so I have to rely on public transport.
      Many thanks, Anna

3 Answers Nov 16, 2006 at 1:18 AM
    • Gillybob's Profile Photo

Anyone in town?

by Gillybob Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 3:15 AM

Any VT-ers in town on 20/21 January 2007? You might be interested in the York Winter Warmer meeting. The meeting is listed in the VT meetings section - sign-up at

meetings.virtualtourist.com/...

The more the merrier - come and freeze with us and have a great time visiting this walled city.

1 Answer Nov 7, 2006 at 7:30 AM
    • How is the Blossoms York B&B?

by wengyie Online Now Sep 17, 2006 at 5:38 PM

4 of us are coming to York on the 26 & 27Dec. How is the accomodation at Blossoms York? If it is not good, could you please recommend something that cost about 20 pounds PPPN. Thanks.

4 Answers Oct 15, 2006 at 4:43 AM