change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• swiftfoot's Profile Photo

North Yorkshire

by swiftfoot Online Now Apr 17, 2014 at 6:14 AM

1. My wife and I have 4 days to spend in York in the third week of September. We want to visit a few castles within 50 miles of the city, and also to go out and enjoy the scenery without doing too much walking. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. From York, we proceed to Perth, Scotland. Which type of public land transportation will be more scenic?

more
    • swiftfoot's Profile Photo

North Yorkshire

by swiftfoot Online Now Apr 17, 2014 at 6:14 AM

1. My wife and I have 4 days to spend in York in the third week of September. We want to visit a few castles within 50 miles of the city, and also to go out and enjoy the scenery without doing too much walking. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. From York, we proceed to Perth, Scotland. Which type of public land transportation will be more scenic?

6 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    • Bus to and from Harrowgate?

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jan 20, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Hello,

I am wondering if there is local bus service from York to Harrowgate (on a Thursday), and if so, from where do the buses leave?

Thanks very much.

Cathy

8 Answers Jan 20, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    • Dogs in york

by Dwilkins44 Online Now Jan 2, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Where can you go in York with a dog

4 Answers Jan 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    • ArieP's Profile Photo

christmas fayer

by ArieP Online Now Nov 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Who now something for me

10 Answers Nov 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM
    • ArieP's Profile Photo

sint nicolas christmas fayer

by ArieP Online Now Nov 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Where can i get a programm for 1 decimeert

12 Answers Nov 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM
    • York to Whitby

by dewijones Online Now Jun 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

What are the options for getting from York to Whitby??
      Is there a bus or buses ??

7 Answers Jun 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    • Public transportation from York to Stratford

by elenasc Online Now Dec 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

We will be travelling to Great Britain this June. I had hoped to go to Stratford from York and stay a couple of days before continuing to Chipping Campden (where we are renting a cottage for a week). Then on the way back to London we would stop in Oxford for another couple of days.

The problem is that even though in terms of location this makes the most sense, I can't seem to find reasonable public transport from York to Stratford (13 hours and 2 stops!) whereas I can get to Oxford from York directly in just a little over 3 hours. Is there any more direct public transport from York to Stratford that I'm missing, or is backtracking the only way to make this work? (Renting a car is not an option.) Can anyone help? Thanks.

10 Answers Dec 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    • Trying to find a B&B/Hotel in York I stayed at 20 years ago

by AuntyDan Online Now Jul 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I hope someone here can help me. In 1994 I spent my honeymoon in York. For our upcoming 20th anniversary I wanted to revisit it and ideally stay in the same place we originally did but am having a hard time locating the B&B/Hotel we stayed in. (I think it would have been classed as a B&B, but even that detail is hazy to me now!)

Here's what I remember about it:

Located outside the inner city walls, but within easy walking distance of them. (5/10 minutes max.)

A Victorian house with a lot of Victorian interior decorations, including a stuffed Owl in a glass jar in or near the reception desk

4-poster beds (At least in the room we had.)

It had a high-end restaurant with a prix fixe menu. Back in 1994 it was 25 pounds per person, no idea what it would be now.

Both self-service and full service at breakfast cooked to order

Of course it is possible it has either closed or changed hands/names since 1994, but if anyone knows York hotels well and can positively identify one way or another it I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Dan.

6 Answers Aug 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    • Nearest airport route to Shell center in York, London

by EZENWA Online Now May 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

How do i find my direction from Aberdeen airport to a nearest airport at York.
      Please may i know the nearest airport to Shell center at York road, London.

3 Answers Jun 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM
    • scanos's Profile Photo

Activities in and near York

by scanos Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hi, I am staying with friends in York for 4 days. I would welcome advice on activities in the surrounding area, particularly hiking and cycling.

Thanks in advance

1 Answer Apr 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    • Day trips by rail from York

by candacegar Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I am planning a trip to York, renting a house or apartment. I'd like to take the train to Durham, Leeds, or ??

Is it easy to get to those places by train and can anyone suggest any other place?

Also, any suggestions on finding an apartment to rent for a week?

6 Answers Apr 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM
    • Family Road (well, rail actually!)Trip to Leeds

by KatSeshat Online Now Mar 18, 2011 at 1:20 AM

So the family and I (all 6 of us!) have decided to visit York in September. Here's the thing - I need info on a good place to stay that is
      -affordable
      -child friendly (ages ranging from preschooler to teenager!)
      -close enough to exciting activities to keep everyone happy!
      -retail therapy for me (the matriarch)
      -pubs for the DH

Any personal experiences and advice are warmly welcomed.
      Thanks!

6 Answers Sep 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    • US Family Relocating from Surrey to York

by leebear Online Now Feb 9, 2011 at 4:09 AM

My husband is considering a job in the North England area. We have a 5 year old and need to know good areas to begin our housing search (we will be renting at first) and which schools to look into in York. Also, is there an US expat group that I can contact there? There is a Women's American group in Surrey, I didn't know if a resource like this meets in York. Very excited about the possible move. We have heard amazing things about the area.

Thanks for the tips!

5 Answers Feb 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM
    • cherylinrenonevada's Profile Photo

looking for hotel in best location in York

by cherylinrenonevada Online Now Jan 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Hi all, I received a ton of responses (all good suggestions) on my question regarding buying a converter charger thingy for my ipod/cameras- thank you all! Now I am trying to find a hotel for 2 older British ladies and myself, who will be staying in York for 2 days. These are relatives of mine. I need a hotel with a good breakfast-no greasy fat laden stuff. I like a buffet with eggs, toast, cereal, etc. Anyone have any ideas for a place in the central area of things, with a great breakfast and not too pricey? Cheryl

4 Answers Feb 8, 2011 at 1:56 AM
    • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Hotel next to railway

by wise23girl Online Now Dec 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Does anyone know the name of the Hotel next to Railway Station in York (hope there is only one station)

My daughter and I will have luggage and would like something handy as we will then be going on to London. We will not pre book from Australia as we want to be a bit free.

Or maybe another hotel suggestion. Have read members like Dean Court...is that close to rail?

Time of year...April...early May

9 Answers Jan 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    • Looking for a B&B

by jeff2010 Online Now Apr 14, 2010 at 6:50 AM

We're traveling to York from London (we live in USA) for a one night stopover on way to Edinburgh. Can someone please recommend a good b&b close to the train station? Thanks,

Jeff

5 Answers Apr 15, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    • Trains from York to Edinburgh

by qrpw Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Hi everybody, I'm going to York and Edinburgh for a holiday next month.

Our hotel in Edinburgh is close to Edinburgh Park Station, not the main Edinburgh Train Station. Is there an option to take a train from York to Edinburgh Park, and does it cost more or less?

3 Answers Apr 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    • traveltime10's Profile Photo

Lodging in York

by traveltime10 Online Now Jan 22, 2010 at 4:07 AM

Can anyone give me advice on a reasonably priced place to stay in York for one night in May? Arriving by train- don't plan on renting a car.

Thanks!

9 Answers Jan 23, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    • Hexen1012's Profile Photo

Best Department Stores in and around York?

by Hexen1012 Online Now Dec 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Hi,
      Strange question to ask - but i have family who are currently on a working holiday in York, and rather than buy and send a present from Australia (and incur the huge costs), I was thinking of buying online through a department store in York? (most like a gift card)

Marks & Spencer... Browns..... I just dont know what there is, and which would given them (25 old) the best selection!
      Thanks

4 Answers Dec 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    • traveltime10's Profile Photo

York from London

by traveltime10 Online Now Nov 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Would like to spend a day or two in York in May, 2010.

What is the easiest way to get there from London? and to get back?

What is the best way to get around to see York once there?

Suggestion for a place to stay once there?

Thank you in advance- I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to visit York.

16 Answers Nov 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    • Help Needed

by jmanlfc Online Now Oct 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Looking to book a Cabin/Lodge for myself and my wife for our first anniversaty in the north of England,

Basically my wife has recently lost her father, and I was looking to take her away for a couple of nights, somewhere we could relax enjoy a nice walk, and also somewhere we could slip into the hot tub and enjoy a celebratory bottle of bubbly for our first anniversary and for my wife to let loose given her torrid year.

However I booked Yellowtop country park £200 for 2 nights, including Hot Tub, however I have received an email following my booking and I wondered if anybody else thought it was a bit harsh, and would you cancel as the first questions...

Hi,
      It is a out door hot tub, No shelter.
      The invoice is due now, If not is not paid by Saturday we will cancell your booking, Thank you.
      Regards
      Yellowtop on behalf of Paula.

Also as a fallback does anybody know of any other places as similair, as it sounds sad but given the climate, Im on a budget and need to watch the pennys,,, so need to spend probably a maximum of £200 as have £150 aside for beuty treatment and more on top for a couple of nights out for dinner etc...

Help please, firstly to let me know if you think I should have cancelled the booking based on the fact I only asked her when the payment was due and did the hot tub have a cover incase it rained.

4 Answers Oct 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    • jcourtnellsmith's Profile Photo

Senior Citizens Visit to York

by jcourtnellsmith Online Now Oct 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM

Old married couple spending three days this month in York. Years since we were there. Do the local buses have such a thing as day ticket tariffs because our Scottish free passes don't work in England ? Where are the most interesting places that local buses journey to ? Thanks all

5 Answers Oct 12, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    • djhartmannn's Profile Photo

Starting to Plan for the Viking Fest

by djhartmannn Online Now Oct 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I have been tasked to plan a multi-family (6-10) trip to the spring Viking Fest in York.

#1 Housing: Is there any single nice facility that will handle us all w/o breaking the budget or is there a street (or area) with a sufficient cluster of close establishments that you would recommend. (weekend apartments would be most excellent)

#2 Pubs and restaurants where we can meet up or suggested rally points that will not be hard to find.

#3 What "must do" activities will require for us to purchase or reserve ahead of time?

#4 Overall suggested itinerary for the weekend.

Everything I hear suggests that it is a great event and am very excited about this visit to York.

Thanks in advance

3 Answers Oct 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM
    • Rock bars/clubs?

by Kulafey Online Now Sep 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I'm going to be in York on Friday 9th October and as I'm into rock music wondered where there is to go?
      Anyone have any ideas? -all greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Kula

4 Answers Oct 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    • Gillybob's Profile Photo

Sunday Afternoon Tea

by Gillybob Online Now Aug 11, 2009 at 2:00 AM

A quick shout out to VTers in the area this weekend. We have a meet :
      meetings.virtualtourist.com/...
      planned for this Sunday (16 August) for afternoon tea @ 4:00pm.

If you haven't already signed up, please do (link above).
      So, will you be joining us?

4 Answers Aug 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    • Free (Cheap) and tranquil places to relax in York this friday

by kirkmeister Online Now Jul 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM

HI all
      I will be in York for the first time for just a day and would like to know places to sit and chill as I am 6 months preggers and will be kicked out of hotel in morning and not moving on til evening.
      I would particulary like to know about green spaces, or watery spaces to chill, other types of chill out also good to know e.g. any good organic or veggie cafes, good people-watching cafes or places you can sit a while without pressure to move on as soon as you finish your drink/food?
      Also any modern art museum in York?
      many thanks
      k

10 Answers Aug 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    • Skinke's Profile Photo

Thanks to all

by Skinke Online Now Jun 11, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied to our inquiry about York travel in winter. Very helpful and useful information.

• ristonboy

by ristonboy Online Now May 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM

can you tell me if the river taxi from naburn lock is accessible for wheelchair,and the fare price for adults and children many thanks shane thompson

• Skinke's Profile Photo

Our vacation to England Winter 2010

by Skinke Online Now May 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Greetings friends. My wife and I will be vacationing in England in February 2010. We will be spending a week in York for the Viking Festival preceded by 4 days in London with a week between York and return flight to USA. We would love to hear some suggestions as to things to do, places to visit ( including possible overnight accommodations) both during the Viking Festival and the following week. My concerns during preliminary research have been weather, bus and train transport during the winter, driving conditions vis a vis american southerners if we should be renting a vehicle. There seems to be no end to the possibilities especially factoring Northumberland. We have already booked our accommodation for York but would like input on day trips from York and later some other ideas that would be seasonably doable. Thanks in advance for any advice. Hope to be able to reciprocate some day for any of you visiting USA.

9 Answers Jun 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    • Folk music in york

by hikeup Online Now May 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

We will be York on the weekend of June 14th. Are there any places where they have live folk music.

Thanks