York Travel Answers

change location
djhartmannn's Profile Photo

Starting to Plan for the Viking Fest

by djhartmannn Online Now Oct 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I have been tasked to plan a multi-family (6-10) trip to the spring Viking Fest in York.

#1 Housing: Is there any single nice facility that will handle us all w/o breaking the budget or is there a street (or area) with a sufficient cluster of close establishments that you would recommend. (weekend apartments would be most excellent)

#2 Pubs and restaurants where we can meet up or suggested rally points that will not be hard to find.

#3 What "must do" activities will require for us to purchase or reserve ahead of time?

#4 Overall suggested itinerary for the weekend.

Everything I hear suggests that it is a great event and am very excited about this visit to York.

Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Starting to Plan for the Viking Fest

by sfdodger Online Now Oct 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM

For housing you might want to take a look at St. Mary's Guest house located at 17 Longfield Terrace, phone 00 44 (0) 1904 626972. Ask for Barry. I believe he also owns some service flats near his B&B. I have stayed three times, however he does fill up quickly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Starting to Plan for the Viking Fest

by hanim27 Online Now Oct 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Hi there,

Wow, what an exciting event to attend! I would love to go and check out what it's all about. Perhaps I'll read your review later. Anyway. I was looking through this site and found a good selection of budget accommodations in York that you may be interested in. Check it out at holidaycityeurope.com/york-8.... I'm sure you and your family going to enjoy the festival tremendously.

Cheers
    Hanim

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: Starting to Plan for the Viking Fest

by leics Online Now Oct 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Actually, you will be far better checking the official York tourist information site for accommodation:

http://www.visityork.org/accommodation/

York'shistorical centre is quite compact, so you should have no difficulties in sorting out meeting places. I'd suggest outside somewhere obvious (like the main entrance to the Minster, or on Lendal Bridge etc etc ) initially, then choose your own next meet-point...you will have plenty to choose from. there are loadds of pubs and restaurants in York.

Not sure about the pre-purchase. Jorvik is the only one which comes to mind..there are generally queues. Otherwise, unlkess it is something special for that weekend, you won't need to buy tickets in advance. Online booking for Jorvik here:

jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/i...

York has a massive amount of things to see and do. Have a look at the VT York pages (I have some) for ideas/tips and for restaurant/pub reviews too.

Your itinerary will be based around special events that weekend, so you must first decide what you want to see from that list when it is posted here:

jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/e...

But do not miss visiting the Minster, the Shambles, Clifford's Tower, the Castle Museum....and, obviously, Jorvik.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines