York Travel Answers

change location

Romantic quiet restaurant

by banana70 Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 4:41 AM

Hello
We are going to York for a night away from the kids in July. Have got the hotel sorted but thought it would be nice to step out to a restaurant in the centre for a lovely quiet romantic meal. This is the first time in 4 years we have been away for a night so don't want to get it wrong. What are your tips. We eat anything, the ambience is the more important thing! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Romantic quiet restaurant

by Sjalen Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Hm...it is the quiet aspect I'm trying to think about...For me, most places are romantic since I met my husband in York, but somehow I doubt that you will want McDonald's brunch after a night out pubcrawling together, nor head to the suburbs for a curry :)))

This is a well known one:

grangehotel.co.uk/dining/ivy...

Another top one is this (with French influences since the owner studied with Roux):

http://www.meltonsrestaurant.co.uk/

Pubs are hardly quiet but the best pub food is probably served at the Royal Oak which also has cookery classes (see my York page).

The Lime House is a prize winning one:

limehouserestaurant-york.co....

Apart from that, St William's College which belongs to the Minster is a very cosy place if the weather is good and you can dine in the lovely courtyard:

yorkminster.org/visiting/con...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

Re: Romantic quiet restaurant

by Britannia2 Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM

St. Williams is very good - I was there last month.Slightly expensive but classy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines