York Travel Answers

change location
amyLbrown2002's Profile Photo

Getting to Castle Howard

by amyLbrown2002 Online Now Jan 10, 2007 at 4:35 AM

I will be in York mid-march, and would love to take a trip out to Castle Howard. However, I do not have a car. I know that there is a coach liner company that stops off there, but I have looked on their website and they only seem to run the service in Summer.

Any ideas on how I might be able to make the trip out?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kbr61263's Profile Photo

RE: Getting to Castle Howard

by kbr61263 Online Now Jan 10, 2007 at 5:03 AM

Public Transport:

If you wish to visit Castle Howard using public transport please visit www.yorkshiretravel.net or telephone 0870 608 2608 for a complete journey planner. Please be aware that most services operate between April and October.

The Yorkshire Coastliner (service 840) will commence operation on 10th April 2006 departing Leeds bus station at 09:15 and York railway station at 10:20, arriving at Castle Howard at approximately 11:00. The return time will be leaving Castle Howard at 16:45, reaching York at 17:23 and Leeds at 18:31. Additional journeys will be available between May and October. To contact Yorkshire Coastliner please visit www.yorkshirecoastliner.co.uk or telephone 01653 692556.

The Moorsbus offers a service from Helmsley which drops off close to Castle Howard, which operates between 2nd April and 29th October 2006, Sunday and Bank Holidays only, and daily from 24th July and 2nd September. Times are as follows:

Leaves Helmsley Arrives near Castle Howard
    10.45 11.21
    12.45 13.21
    15.15 15.51

Leaves Castle Howard Arrives Helmsley
    13.21 14.00
    15.51 16.52

Visitors arriving by public transport are entitled to discounted admission upon production of a valid travel ticket dated the day of the visit.

The nearest railway station is at Malton, which is a distance of 6 miles away from Castle Howard. Trains arrive frequently from the direction of Scarborough and York, and taxis are available at the station. Approximate cost is £10.00 one way, but should be confirmed with your taxi driver.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Getting to Castle Howard

by Sjalen Online Now Jan 10, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Yes, when the buses don't make the detour via Castle Howard in winter, a taxi from Malton should be your best bet. Worth the splash out though, and I'm not just saying that because my former flatmate's granddad was their gardener - it IS fantastic. Don't miss the fountain!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines