York Travel Answers

change location

Train Travel from Manchester to York

by phyllisfoxworth Online Now Jun 28, 2004 at 11:57 AM

I am arriving at the Manchester Airport on Sunday morning am trying to understand the train schedule to York. Can I pick up a train in the airport or do I need to take a local train into the city and transfer to a train to York? Can you tell me the trainline and how much the fare is? Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Train Travel from Manchester to York

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Jun 28, 2004 at 3:05 PM

According to www.thetrainline.com, it looks like there is a direct train every hour leaving the airport at 28 minutes past. If you don't mind waiting at the airport, this would be very convenient. However, there isn't much to keep you occupied at the airport's train station if you're waiting for an hour. There are trains every 10 minutes or so into Piccadilly station in Manchester city centre. The trip takes 15 minutes and costs around 2.50 pounds for a single. At Piccadilly there are lots of shops, bars, cafes, newsagents and coffee places to keep you entertained before getting a connection to York. I assume you're coming back to the airport at some point? I would buy a Super Saver Return, which means you can return on any train you like within the following 30 days and costs around 24 pounds. Otherwise a single ticket bought from the conductor or at the station window costs almost 20 pounds! The only consideration to keep in mind is the frequent engineering work that closes the train lines, especially on Sundays. There is a lot of that going on around the train station, but there will be buses into Manchester Piccadilly, where the main lines will be operating from. It's very difficult to keep track of what's happening when, best to just ask someone at the airport after landing. Happy travels!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Train Travel from Manchester to York

by Sjalen Online Now Jun 29, 2004 at 2:21 AM

Yes, there are direct trains to York - Trans Pennines' little diesel ones.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines