York Travel Answers

change location
Letra's Profile Photo

One day in York

by Letra Online Now Jun 25, 2004 at 2:26 PM

I am staying in Grimsby at the moment and would love to see York. What would you advise me to see there in the first place as I am planning only one day visit.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Re: One day in York

by HORSCHECK Online Now Jun 25, 2004 at 4:27 PM

Hiya, Hmm, the two most famous sights of York are of course the famous York Minster and the historic street Shambles (one of the oldest streets in Europe). But you should also take a stroll on the city walls of the Old Town. You can enjoy nice views from the 2,5 miles long city walls and you get a great overview of the city. For more info please have a look at my York page. I hope this helps HORSCHECK :o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • aadil's Profile Photo

by aadil Online Now Jun 25, 2004 at 5:19 PM

YORK - A most beautiful city as far as architecture, churches, museums, rivers and people are concerned!! (Not necessarily in that order!!). The York Minster is the most beautiful building in York or so I thought atleast!! I spent the whole day inside it, taking in the beautiful views of the architecture, the stained glass windows and other sculptures & art work including a memorial clock for the soldiers of the wars with astronomical constellations and the Sun & Moon positions accurately depicted on the moving dials. There are guided tours for free, lasting about an hour or more (if you ask more questions!!). The 275 steps to the top of the tower are just about a foot and a half wide, so take care whilst going up or down. Only one way traffic on these steps!! CCTV cameras cover you all the time, so no mischief!! You have half an hour to enjoy the view from the top of the Minster terrace. The view from inbetween at half way to the top is also picturesque since you can see a lot of detail on the building better from there!! Not for the faint hearted or those with climbing problems!! You even get a certificate stating you've gone up the 275 steps if you pay for one!! Another rip off in the name of God!! Clifford's Tower is open only if it is not raining!! The National Railway Museum is the biggest in the world and the best in England and is a must see place!! The famous record breaking Mallard steam locomotive engine and the Shinkansen "Bullet" train from Japan are both there for visitors to climb in and experience. A cut-away lifesize model of the Eurostar and it's tunnel (Chunnel!!) is also on view!! So are the royal carriages used by the kings, queens and princes in Britain!! George Stephenson's "Rocket" is also on display. There are scale modelling kits available in the shop but they are a rip off!! There are train rides for free too but only when it doesn't rain!! Continued in Part 2 ......

• aadil's Profile Photo

by aadil Online Now Jun 25, 2004 at 5:23 PM

Part 2:- The York City Art Gallery offers a lot to see and appreciate especially if you attend one of the free guided tours. There is a joint ticket (9 Pounds) for seeing the York Castle Museum, York City Art Gallery and Yorkshire Museum & Gardens for five days and you can go as many times as you like. The York Observatory in the Yorkshire museum gardens houses one of the first and oldest working telescopes (A Cooke & Sons brass refractor telescope) well preserved by the curator Martin Lunn MBE. He will take you on a guided tour if you are interested!! Also in the gardens are the ruins of the York Abbey and a lot of the artifacts are in the Yorkshire Museum and a part of the museum is also a preserved portion from the Abbey building. A lot of old manuscripts are on display in the museum and also include the famous Middleham jewel!! The City Library has a nice internet facility for free. Take a walk along the city walls of York and see the splendid views over the rivers Ouse and Foss on a riverboat!! Visit the "Shambles" - take a walk along York's famous medieval thoroughfares for a range of fascinating shops. There's a famous pub - The King's Arms, that floods in the rains almost every year when it pours and the river floods, there's a mark for the levels reached every year!! All in all a very good place to see and visit all over again too, if you get the chance!!! You can take your pick from the choices available and see what you want according to your interests as well as time constraints!!! Have a nice day in York!!! And enjoy your day out!!! Cheers, Aadil. P.S.: You may see my York page for some of the pictures and tips too!!!

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: Re: One day in York

by leics Online Now Jun 25, 2004 at 11:19 PM

Do the Minster first, then walk through town & get something to eat/ drink (see my York pages for good places). Then walk the walls, take a stroll along the riverside and generally wander the city till it's time to go home. York is full of hidden treasures...see what you can find!

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Jun 26, 2004 at 12:29 AM

There's also The Treasurer's House

• LizD's Profile Photo

by LizD Online Now Jun 27, 2004 at 2:01 AM

The Yorvik Centre is good but go early as there are queues. Also the museum is interesting, there is a cobbled street in there and "olde world" shops on display. Shambles great for retail therapy. Enjoy

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Jun 28, 2004 at 6:37 AM

Yes, I even brought one of those hidden treasures with me to Sweden - he emigrated to his ancestral viking homeland as he likes to say! :-))) Therefore, I of course find the Acorn pub the most beautiful building in York, not the Minster :-))) Seriously though, the Minster has to be seen of course, since it's the greatest gothic cathedral north of the Alps. Shambles is a nice street indeed, although sadly ruined by a southern council clerk, who never understood its history as the butchers quarters since medieval days but, instead, raised the rent so much that the butchers could no longer afford staying, and only souvenir shops can today. Thereby ending a huge part of York's history. I think what Liz is talking about is the Castle Museum which is certainly my own favourite. There are other great museums indeed (especially the railway one) but this is so nice since it is a collection of every day items. Even the first vacuum cleaner becomes interesting in this place. It is housed in the old prison and the things on display (indeed an old Edwardian street even) are things collected by a doctor Kirk, who accepted household gifts from patients who had no money to pay the bill... See my page for more tips.

• Letra's Profile Photo

Re: Re: One day in York

by Letra Online Now Jun 28, 2004 at 10:06 AM

Thank you very much, I read your York page and now I know what to do in York! Your description is really very good! Elena

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines