Yogyakarta Special Region Travel Answers

change location
annalecce's Profile Photo

from Bali to Yogyakarta

by annalecce Online Now Apr 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

We are a group of three, in June we'll visit Bali. During the last week we would like to go from Bali by ferry to Java and then to Yogyakarta to visit its wonderful temples. Is it tough by car? How long can it take? How are the road conditions in that area? Better to use public transport or a private car with a local driver? How much it costs more or less?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Ubudian's Profile Photo

Re: from Bali to Yogyakarta

by Ubudian Online Now Apr 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

If I’m reading your post correctly it sounds as though you are considering renting a self drive SUV or car here in Bali and self driving yourselves over to Yogyakarta. If that’s the case, put that idea out of your mind. Even experienced expatriate drivers here in Bali undertake that journey with great trepidation, and most always will have a private driver.

You’ll also run into a technical snag, that being the restriction which prohibits you as a tourist to take a car or SUV off the island of Bali.

There are plenty of good public transport options for you to consider. The first would be to fly…quick and cheap, the second would be to hire a good private driver here in Bali, the third would be to take the bus, and the last would be to take a bus to Banyuwangi, and then take the train from there.

The bus from Denpasar to Yogy takes about 15 hours, give or take, so you can estimate driving time from that.

If you’re on a tight schedule, take a plane, but if you have a week or so, take a private driver from Bali as there are a lot of great places to see in eastern Java along the way to Yogy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • annalecce's Profile Photo

by annalecce Online Now Apr 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM

thank you Ubudian. I just expected the trip to Yogyakarta was stressful. I'll try to persuade my friend to spend our days in alternative between Bali and Lombok.

by Ubudian Online Now Apr 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Indeed, one key to getting the most out of any trip to Indonesia is to spend as little time (and money) getting from point A to point B. Balancing those two objectives is not always easy...to say the least.

Another key is to remain very open in mind...and not to stick to pre-arranged itineraries.

You’ll find a lot of wonderful places here that will draw you in for much longer a time than you anticipated. My advice is to go with those gut feelings as you travel about, and not to worry about what your pre-arrival plans were.

If your travel time runs out...you can always come back.

• annalecce's Profile Photo

by annalecce Online Now Apr 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

it is just our state of mind. I asked this question just to have an idea of how long it would take and how difficult is this trip. It would be a pity to go to Indonesia and not to visit its most beautiful places. Maybe two weeks in Bali are a lot of days, so we are considering other options. The sea is not our priority because, when we'll go back in Italy, in summer and our sea is fantastic, we prefer to visit the temples near Yogyakarta. Do you live in Bali? Would you suggest to me any interesting destination?

by Ubudian Online Now Apr 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM

The old line about Bali, “there are more temples there than people” is actually true. Of course many are small house temples and ancestral temples, but each village in Bali has three or four major temples and there are always very interesting ceremonies going on here in one village or another.

Yes, I live in Bali and if your click on my forum name, Ubudian, you can read about Ubud, my village, ceremonies and my family. I’ve spent a lot of time in eastern Java as well, and your idea of splitting your time between Bali and eastern Java makes a great deal of sense for a first time trip to this area of the world. To be honest, the beaches here in Bali are OK, but I think you’re smart to concentrate more on the cultural and natural beauty aspects that eastern Java and Bali are both so rich with.

There are quite a number of good home pages on VT where Bali and eastern Java are discussed in quite a lot of depth. You can get a great deal of good ideas from them concerning those activities and places to see that will appeal to you and your travel companions.

Speaking of old lines, you surely have heard the one, “the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray” (or something close to that). That phrase could just as easily been written here in Bali. No matter how carefully you plan your visit in advance, once here, you and your companions will be pulled in all sorts of directions, and that’s just part of the magic of Bali. My advice is to use your pre-panning only as a skeleton plan and be willing to go with the urges that will surely beckon you like the famed Greek Sirens.

As for “must see” places in eastern Java and Bali most everyone who has been here will have their favorites, and most everyone will have a long list. The one thing you can be sure of is that there is no shortage of places to visit, things to do, and activities to enjoy over here. Your two weeks will go by in a flash…but you can always come back again.

Best wishes to you and your companions for a wonderful time, which is pretty much a certainty.

• Deng249's Profile Photo

by Deng249 Online Now May 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Yes, 2 weeks would be too long to spend on the beaches of Bali. :)

And yes, Jogjakarta is worth visiting...but I won't recommend the land travel though. It takes too much time. I did once travel from Jogja to Surabaya by land and saved some time by travelling at night. It took us almost the entire night. Road condition is so & so...but not something for you to drive on yr own. In my case, we hired a local driver and a spare driver.

So it would be good if you can find a flight to get to Jogja. Spend abt 3 days or so there, visiting the 2 world heritage sites there i.e. Borubudur & Prambanan, plus all the other cultural stuffs like the kraton, taman sari, etc.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Yogyakarta Special Region Travel Answer Locations