Yogyakarta Special Region Travel Answers

change location

Mountain-seeing

by suzest Online Now Jul 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM

We're a group of 8 booked our flights to Yogyakarta come September. We're keen on visiting Mt.Bromo's crater. I've worked out an itinerary Yogyakarta-Solo-Bromo within 4 days! Also on our wish-list is to visit Mt.Ijen's crater and at least be able to enjoy 'seeing' the other mountains, especially the site of Merapi. We reckon driving to Bromo would be 10-14hrs from Yogyakarta. Can somebody please tell me if there is a better alternative? Mt. Bromo is the highlight of our tour, so we can't opt that out but in 3 days, are we crazy? And a bit of shopping plus city-site-seeing would also cheer the group members.
Thanks !

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • karlyac's Profile Photo

Re: Mountain-seeing

by karlyac Online Now Jul 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I think a minibus to Bromo is probably your best bet, it's fairly cheap and way faster then local transport. Mt Bromo is fairly easy as you can drive to the bottom of the exploded volcano and ride a horse to the crater OR climb the stairs (I'm in pretty good shape, nothing amazing though) and it winded me. As for Kawa Ijen, this climb was four hours uphill and is really strenuous but AMAZING. It was one of the best parts of my Indonesia trip for sure. The climb is scenic (although a little tough) and the sulphur lake is gorgeous. It's definitely worth the hike! But if you only have four days I don't know how realistic climbing Ijen will be as it will take up most of the day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Mountain-seeing

by suzest Online Now Jul 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Thanks Karlyaq!

• indranur's Profile Photo

Re: Mountain-seeing

by indranur Online Now Jul 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

The best option is by minibus to Bromo and Ijen mountain,but if you have short time,you should choose Bromo or Ijen,can not be all,but its all up to you,all what you see its the best part of Java.Its worth it.....if you come here just let me know,i live here......that all for now......

• Re: Mountain-seeing

by kimchuan Online Now Sep 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Hi. How was your trip? Reading the reviews we reckon its a wonderful place, especialy Borobudur etc. We are planning to visit Jogjakarta in November, 2011 for 5 days 4 nights with our kids ( adults + 3 kids). Just wondering how your itenary was as we also thought of going to Mt Bromo too. U think we will enjoy it with the kids arounds? Please provide us with details of your tour guide too. Thank. Chuan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Yogyakarta Special Region Travel Answer Locations