Yerevan Travel Answers

change location
etfromnc's Profile Photo

How can I best get to know Armenia (mostly Yerevan) in two weeks?

by etfromnc Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I will be in Yerevan from 17-31 March 2012. I will be teaching in the afternoons and early evenings. My accommodations have been arranged but I would appreciate any suggestions on places to eat at anytime and things to do in the mornings which would help me to have the most genuine memories of Armenia. I think that the middle Saturday and Sunday of my stay will also be free. I might also do some late evening outings but I am no longer the guy who tries to go non-stop around the clock.
How accessible is Mt. Ararat?
The only other things I know about Armenia are that I bought the home in which I currently live from a very nice Armenian couple and that the Armenian people were victims of one of the most horrific genocides in history about 100 years ago.
Thanks for any help!!!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • coco18530's Profile Photo

Re: How can I best get to know Armenia (mostly Yerevan) in two weeks?

by coco18530 Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

As previously mentioned Mt Ararat is in Eastern Turkey, but you can see it from Armenia. You cannot cross the border to Turkey near Mt Ararat.
    I would recommend visiting the Genocide Museum and the Manuscript museum was quite interesting they are both in Yerevan.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM

There are plenty of day-trips as mentioned Mostly to churches, churches and more churches. Lake Sevan isn't far, but will be cold in March. As mentioned, Ararat is in Turkey and the border is 100% completely and totally closed to locals and foreigners.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Online Now Mar 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Thanks to the four who have replied to my query. Those replies and the weather forecast which I have just looked up have been very helpful in redirecting my plans.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Thanks for your educational efforts and your advice. I am now in Germany on my way home and took all of your advice. I visited the Genocide Memorial, the Manuscript Repository (They do not like to call it a museum because "it is a research institute."), Echimiadzin, Kor Vidl, and fell in love with the Armenian people. I do not think that I have ever learned as much and been as overwhelmed by a people group as quickly as I was by the Armenians.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Yerevan