Yellowstone National Park Travel Answers

change location
travellingtechie's Profile Photo

How about June end?

by travellingtechie Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Hi All!

I am interested in taking my wife and (then) 6 months old son to the Yellowstone National Park sometime this summer (probably in June end). Please help me chalk out a plan for it. I believe flying from Buffalo to Jackson Hole would be the air travel and then we will have to hire a car. Would June end be a good time to see the flora and fauna and how would the weather be at that time? If we are planning to reach the park from Jackson Hole, what would be a good (clean and reasonably cheap) place to stay? Is accommodation available near the park or do we need to stay a few miles away and make day trips. Btw...I am planning for a 4-5 day trip. Would this be enough to see the park? Or too long or too short?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Happy travelling!

TT!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: How about June end?

by Homanded Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

4-5 days is more than plenty for the park.
    You're not spending time in Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons? Beautiful park and wildlife is even more plentiful/visible than in Yellowstone.

We went end of June last year and it was great.
    Beautiful weather.
    Be warned, it is a popular and very crowded season. You need to book reservations ASAP and don't be surprised if much of it is already pre-booked.
    Define "cheap". I'm afraid, unless you're camping, Yellowstone is not cheap.
    Cheapest option is outside of park such as Gardiner Montana where it is a short distance/drive away to the Northern end of the park.
    You should ideally split the park into sections so that you are able to see all of the park if that is your intentions.
    Lower/middle section such as Lake & Canyon being one, Mammoth being North and again middle - Western area of geyser basin being 3rd section to concentrate on.
    I have maps and suggestions on our pages as to what to see and how to see it if you're interested in checking them out.

Remember to book early!

Homer

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travellingtechie's Profile Photo

by travellingtechie Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Thanks for the quick response Homer! By "cheap" I meant around 100-110 dollars per night sort of accommodation. I am interested in showing my wife the hot natural geysers and some nice scenery. I want to take her for a nice relaxing short-vacation without much rush. Will try to search some more on the camping in the park and see if it will be feasible for us.

Thanks once again!

TT!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

West Yellowstone has quite a few hotels/motels in your price range for the last week of June - check it out on www.booking.com

• PR-7's Profile Photo

AVERAGE weather in Yellowstone at this time

by PR-7 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

> how would the weather be at that time?

www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USWY0183

shows the monthly AVERAGES at Yellowstone. Plan on late June being about half-way between June and July. Note that this means cold nights -- a low below freezing is quite possible. You will almost certainly see snow on the ground somewhere, and the longer trails may be closed.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My daughter flew in to Jackson Hole and visited Grand Teton on the way to Yellowstone and then went to Montana and visited Mt Rushmore etc but she was doing more than 4 days. I flew in with my grandson to West Yellowstone (because I didn't want to drive from Jackson Hole) and was able to book two days at the Old Faithful Inn. We had another night at a motel in West Yellowstone. We only got to see the Ring of Fire and the thermal features around the Old Faithful area and did not get up to Mammoth Hot Springs The weather was cool but the crowds were already heating up.

If you could get a place it would be easier for seeing wildlife and thermal features if you stayed in the park. But I don't know if the park accommodation has what you will need for a baby. Our room had an attached bath but no TV or internet and we had to make reservations well in advance for dinner.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

You might checks the air fare into Bozeman, MT, as another option. West Yellowstone has lots of motel type places to stay. The main lodge by Old Faithful is a really nice spot but a lot more than your price range. I surprised by the crowds at every stop - but perhaps I've just lived in Alaska too long.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I would certainly say that 4-to 5 days is not too long, and it is better than a lot of people give Yellowstone. With that amount of time, you can see many of the highlights. Even though I live outside the East Entrance, and have have been to the park many times, when we go up with our 5th wheel, we often go for a week at a time. It seems like we always see something new. Last time we saw a geyser go off that we had never seen, and now it is one of my favorites. The main park road is a 142-mile grand loop, so just getting around the park takes time, especially since the ''fastest driving speed is 45, and in some places it is slower ''than that, not to mention buffalo jams where a herd of bison may keep you at a stop or creep for quite a long time. Be sure to spend a day driving the canyon road on the east side, stopping at the pull offs and hiking some of the trails. Spend at least one day on the north side, and at least two days on the west side. I always recommend that people stay in the park if at all possible, and to stay in more than one place. If you can stay on the side your are exploring that day, you will save a lot of miles and time driving. The least expensive places to stay are the cabins, but you MUST reserve REALLY early. If you can not stay inside the park, the next closest place to stay for day trips is in the small town of West Yellowstone.

As far as the weather goes, the end of June is usually nice, although I NEVER guaranteed weather at that altitude. It could snow any month of the year.  So it could be cool, and require a jacket, or it could be warm, and you may have shorts on.  Be prepared for either. 

3 members found this helpful

• L2go's Profile Photo

by L2go Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Although I agree that you ought to consider flying to Bozeman as an alternative to flying into Jackson, I would recommend that you stay at least one night in Grand Teton park if you choose to fly into Jackson. Jackson itself is often crowded and busy, but it's right next to Grand Teton Park. We often stay in a tent cabin in the Colter Bay area; they are available for a quite decent price. If the tent cabin wouldn't work with a baby (since you'd have to travel to a central bathroom/shower area,) you could check out what cabins cost at Colter Bay. You're going to have to travel through the Tetons to get to Yellowstone anyway so why not spend a night there? It's quite beautiful.

In Yellowstone, you might consider Mammoth Hotel in the north west part of the park. The room we had in the hotel proper was quite large and comfortable, as well as fairly reasonable. (It wasn't as cheap as the tent cabins, but then, it is a hotel. It's a fine old building.) Another choice in the north part of Yellowstone Park is the Roosevelt area: check out the price & availability of cabins there. While Mammoth is right next to some of the thermal terraces and interesting in that way, Roosevelt is the area closest to the "Serengeti" of Yellowstone, the place where you may see the most wildlife.

1 member found this helpful

• travellingtechie's Profile Photo

by travellingtechie Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips! Due to some family commitments we may delay the trip by a year. But whenever we plan I am sure that the tips and leads will come in handy!

Thanks once again!

TT!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Yellowstone National Park