Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Best, but inexpensive way to get from L.B.Pearson to Lombard Street, downtown Toronto

Toronto Oct 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM

First time to Toronto without a car. What is the most inexpensive way, I understand cabs are about $50 plus tip) to get to our hotel on Lombard Street from the airport?

• Interested in Visiting

Canada Sep 26, 2015 at 3:38 AM

I am looking to vacation in a place that has "hot or warm springs". Can you tell me if there is any springs in Canada? If so, is the public allowed to swim in the springs?

• Good day trips?

Montreal Sep 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM

What are some good day trips that can be done from Montreal without a car? Looking for something without needing to rent...

• Wildlife/Stampedes & Weather!!

Canada Sep 21, 2015 at 1:34 AM

OK everyone has heard of the Calgary stampede, much like the Braemer Highland Games!! Are there any provincial stampedes that follow a similar format and are worth seeing

Subjectively I know that this is difficult but when normally do the wildlife start re-emerging - we were driving to Jasper a couple of years back around mid June and there were signs are "they're awake " take precautions etc - is this the norm??

And finally --- we would like to visit Montreal/Ottawa coming up via Boston in April/May = what is the norm for weather?

The reason that I am asking these questions is that my Husband's UK licence expires on 2 July next year so generating codes for car hire around the Calgary stamped dates could be a problem

A lot to ask I know but I would appreciate some info many thanks in advance

• Eastern Canada

Canada Sep 28, 2015 at 11:14 PM

My husband and I are looking to travel to eastern Canada in late May 2016. We would love some advice on where to go as we really don't know much about the destinations in this area. We are probably looking at spending maybe 3 weeks there, so any and all suggestions welcome.

• Grocery Stores

Beaupré Sep 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Can you tell me if there are any grocery stores in Beaupré

• miccline's Profile Photo

Budget Minded Travel Options between Quebec City and Montreal

Quebec Sep 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum :-) We are planning a trip to Quebec City and thought we would travel to Montreal for the last 2 days of our trip. I was reading on this site about allo stop and kanga ride. I see the websites are still up but google has them as permanently closed. Are they and if so, is there a budget minded travel option between the two cities? Thanks everyone in advance. Mic

• Travel Through Canadian Rockies

Canada Sep 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM

My husband and I will be travelling to Vancouver arriving on 8 May 2016 - we are Australians. We plan to spend a few days in Vancouver and then hire a car to travel through the Canadian Rockies. We are interested in visiting new places and checking out the cities as well as enjoying wonderful scenery. We have never been here before so would welcome advice on the following subjects.

1. How long should we allow in Vancouver.
      2. Driving conditions at that time of year - not used to real winter weather driving and we drive on the other side of the road.
      3. What route should we take to see the best scenery and how long should we allow for travelling and stopping at different locations - overnight stays or more than one night at each stop.
      4. How easy is it to get accommodation at that time of year - should we book ahead.

We would welcome any suggestions on accommodation (we usually look for something that is well located but aren't too fussy, as long as it has a clean and has it's own bathroom), as well as suggestions of what places to stop at and what to see. All comments and suggestions welcome :-)

• Vancouver to Los Angeles

Vancouver Sep 29, 2015 at 5:17 AM

Hi there,

Looking at going on a tour that finishes in Vancouver, and then will be meeting friends in Los Angeles, just wondering is there any suggestions on a good way to get to Los Angeles from Vancouver.

Besides flying, or taking a straight bus trip, is there any companies that offer trips between these two cities that offer a bit of sight seeing in the process. Or what is something I go could do as an adventure and able to sight see?

I'm not confident to go off totally on my own, but would like to possibly have a journey to be able to see and along the coast from Vancouver and Los Angeles.

Cheers muchly,

• RoyG17's Profile Photo

Driving tour

Prince Edward Island Sep 14, 2015 at 6:31 AM

We are coming on cruise ship and only have about 7 hours, I've rented a car and need suggestions of what we can see in that time, or what to avoid!

by PeterL87 Online Now Jan 11, 2015 at 1:39 PM

I shall visit yellowknifs canada in February, 2015, where can I found a good place with free shelter to see the northern light (aurora).

6 Answers Jan 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    • jboerding's Profile Photo

Taxi Cos ts

by jboerding Online Now Sep 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM

What is taxi charge from airport to city in Yellowknife?

1 Answer Sep 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    • jjkent's Profile Photo

Christmas/New Years in Yellowknife

by jjkent Online Now Aug 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I am planning a winter adventure in NWT or YT. I am a former Alaska resident and would like to spend about a week skiing (classic and skate), ice fishing, skijoring, kite skiing, camping, viewing the northern lights, bars & restaurants, etc. Most of my friends here in the States are not even remotely interested in joining me on my winter adventure so I would love to join groups or find a guide to do these things. My time off is around Christmas and/or New Years. My question: where should I go in Yellowknife, or should I go somewhere else in Canada, i.e. Whitehorse? Thanks!
      - JJKENT

• 123alan's Profile Photo

Northern lights

by 123alan Online Now Jan 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I'm heading up to Yellowknife next month, what's the best way to see the northern lights? Has anybody had a tour with becks kennels company?

4 Answers Jan 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM
    • leigh767's Profile Photo

Trip booked! How to best survive the extreme cold in Yellowknife?

by leigh767 Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Hi all, I'm heading to Yellowknife in early March for the northern lights and will be spending hours outdoors as I plan to be photographing heavily and doing time lapse photography as well. I know temperatures will drop to about -30C (-22F) at night and the last time I was in that sort of cold, it was outright painful.

Would like to be better prepared for this big trip. Does anyone have tips on what to pack? The VT Yellowknife's What To Pack Section has only one tip ("pack a fishing rod") so I'm hoping to get more insights from anyone who's been there/lives there.

I know parks are a must - and I'm planning to rent one when I get there since I live in the tropics so there's no point buying one. Does anyone know what the rental price range is like? And any other packing tips will be GREATLY appreciated. Right now my plan is very under-developed. I just know that boots, parkas, and heat packs for the hands/feet are a must. Anything else?

5 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    • I'm planning to run the Yellowknife Marathon in August 2011 and...

by TorontoDuluth Online Now Jun 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I need some advice. I've always wanted to take a trip up there, and I love running marathons (I'm making a vacation out of this, running Yellowknife's marathon one week and Edmonton's race a week or so later). Now, I've conquered Vancouver, Toronto, Chicago, Minneapolis; expensive cities, all on a budget! I've never travelled to a remote location that is expensive to get to, and might not have the selection of budget hostels (not dumps!). I don't really see much in Yellowknife; if you're familiar with the city, are there backpacker hostels or places like the 'Y' where someone like myself could stay at for a couple days? Just from looking at the map I'd like to be near YK Centre so I don't need to depend on a car while I'm there.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 Answer Jun 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    • Polar Parkas & Fabrics

by loischouinard Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I am trying to reach this store which is in Yellowknife ... does anyone know if they have an online website, phone numbers ... any help appreciated. Lois

1 Answer Jan 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    • Website? for Polar Parkas

by sheila_don Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Is there a website for Polar Parkas in Yellowknife. Do they accept mail orders? I can't find anything with a Google search but they have been recommended to me by an Inuit friend. Thanks.

3 Answers Jan 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    • Accomodations

by Driq Online Now Nov 1, 2007 at 8:25 AM

I'm looking for affordable accomodations in Yellowknife for November 16th to 18th for 3 people. We will all be in town for a wedding. Are there hostel type/ homes that rent rooms etc like a B&B. We could use 1 or 2 rooms.

1 Answer Nov 10, 2007 at 7:27 PM
    • Things to Do in Yellowknife, N.W.T.

by Sigzy Online Now Oct 13, 2007 at 4:56 PM

My question is there is a couple of broomball teams coming to Yellowknife on Nov. 7 till the 11th for Western Canadian Broomball Championship and if time permits we would like a list of things to possible see,watch or purchase and the price to obtain each service. Like the Diawk Diamond Mines Inc. and have the chance to purchase. Gold mine, watching the Aroura (not sure on spelling), good sports bars, restaurants and night clubs. If you can provide me some information, would be greatly appreciated. You can send it to me directly at
      Thanks Liz.

1 Answer Oct 13, 2007 at 7:21 PM
    • What to do in Yellowknife?

by tjsilverjeep Online Now Jul 12, 2007 at 8:45 AM

We will be flying up to Yellowknife to go fishing. We would like to spend a few days in Yellowknife. What is there to do and see? What do you recommend?

Thanking you in advance.

• Accessible in winter?

by iwishiwasinpakistan Online Now Aug 12, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Is the city of Yellowknifr, NT accessible in the winter by road? Is the road plowed? Please answers soon.

1 Answer Aug 12, 2006 at 7:05 PM
    • camping and fishing for seniors

by craftygramma Online Now Aug 10, 2006 at 8:35 AM

Is our Canada Old Age Security Card valid in your province for a fishing licence, and could you send us information on camping and discounts? Any other information would be appreciated as well.

• Things to do in Yellowknife

by leonda Online Now Feb 3, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Spending three days in Yellowknife this June 11th thru the 13th. Any suggestions on things to do in the town?

1 Answer Feb 3, 2006 at 8:47 PM
    • Driving Edmonton to Yellowknife

by leonda Online Now Feb 3, 2006 at 1:19 PM

Has anyone driven from Edmonton to Yellowknife on the Mackenzie Highway and could give me details of what to expect on the ride??

2 Answers Feb 5, 2006 at 9:57 AM