Yalta Travel Answers

change location

Street names

by kiwisam Online Now Jun 29, 2003 at 7:24 PM

Hi there, Can anyone tell me what the n. stands for in a street name. i.e. Crimea, Yalta Gaspra, n. tamarli

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Street names

by YVRDave Online Now Jun 29, 2003 at 8:04 PM

North?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Soili's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Street names

by Soili Online Now Jun 30, 2003 at 2:03 AM

Hello, Do you think it's possible it's a street in itself Like "naperulok" meaning "alley"...I hope- I'm a Finn and I used to speak Russian but now I'm not 100% sure if the word is an alley in English. Have you got a map of Yalta? In the old times, the system was to give the name of the street, then the number of the house (ie the building, like "d. 5"), then the number of the flat ("kv.52", kv coming from kvartira)and then the number of the room (if a shared place...). There're people here on VT who are langugae helpers - they will be able to help you! regards, Soili

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Re: Street names

by IngaA Online Now Jun 30, 2003 at 3:11 AM

hi I suppose it is written in Russian and in cyrilic this lette sign is "P". P stands for "pereulok", which means "lane". I have relatives in Gaspra and I suppose there r only steets and lanes there because the town is very small. Take care

• Soili's Profile Photo

by Soili Online Now Jun 30, 2003 at 5:01 AM

Oh dear... It's good there's Inga. I must have looked for the word pereulok in my brain. Somehow it got mixed with haberezhnanya...well, it's high time for me to brush my Russian.. no problem, just taking out the good old grammar books and sitting down at the computer to read some articles on the net.. regards, Soili

• IngaA's Profile Photo

by IngaA Online Now Jun 30, 2003 at 5:16 AM

Soili, your Russian is very good, at least you gave me this impression. I answered the forum without eading the previous answers but now I see that u guessed the same as me :)

• Soili's Profile Photo

by Soili Online Now Jun 30, 2003 at 5:22 AM

Thanks Inga.. My russian isn't very good - well, yes, I'm a teacher of Russian but it's too many years since I taught or spoke the language myself. At the moment I'm listening to the Russian-language radio station in Finland; the words are coming back to me when I hear them in songs. But as I said, it's a task for me to do. I took a Russian whodunit from the library today - and I intend to read it through! It's a novel by Aleksandra Marinskaya. Some of her books have been translated into Finnish now, so I suppose she has become known in Finland. Regards to you from the rainy Finland - the weather should be better in a few days' time. If not, I will rob the bank and buy a plane ticket to some warm destination... : )

• IngaA's Profile Photo

by IngaA Online Now Jun 30, 2003 at 5:29 AM

Aleksandra Marinskaya.. never heard. what kind of books did she write ?

• Re: Re: Street names

by kiwisam Online Now Jul 1, 2003 at 2:40 PM

I think the cyrillic lettter is 'H'. Although I am going off an address that has been copied a few times... Many thanks

• IngaA's Profile Photo

by IngaA Online Now Jul 1, 2003 at 2:49 PM

no n is p in cyrilic, that's for sure. H is N in capitals but there is nothing to start from N unless it is the name of the street But the street/avenu/lane/boulevard/square - none of then starts by H in russian

• Re: Re: Street names

by kiwisam Online Now Jul 1, 2003 at 2:52 PM

Thanks IngaA I guess the letter was originally a 'p' but has been accidentaly changed at some point. Thank you

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines