Yalta Travel Answers

change location
yumyum's Profile Photo

Russian language course

by yumyum Online Now Nov 10, 2002 at 1:44 PM

Hi, Has anyone been to a language course in Yalta? How was it and what season would you recommend? Thanks Sonja

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • judia_salsera's Profile Photo

Re: Russian language course

by judia_salsera Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 3:58 AM

Summer of course! Winter is not cold but it'll rain a lot, and it's a resort after all...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Russian language course

by seagoingJLW Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 5:33 AM

They speak Ukrainian in Yalta, not Russian. Joan

by judia_salsera Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 7:29 AM

Not true. Yalta is in the Crimea, which was part of Russia for a long time. Besides, even in the Ukraine everybody speaks Russian, while for many Russian is their first language.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

by seagoingJLW Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 7:37 AM

When we were there, we were informed that they DO NOT speak Russian. Please make it Ukrainian. So, I have. Joan

• IngaA's Profile Photo

by IngaA Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 7:48 AM

no, sorry Joan, the people who informed U were wrong. Crimea is absolutely russian-spaking region. It is now in Ukraine but they speak Russian. Yalta is not the exception. Although I don't know if Yalta is the best palce for learning russian.. I mean from the point of view of language purity, which I can not estimate because I speak with accent, as the most of ukrainians.

by judia_salsera Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 8:38 AM

Indeed, Joan, whoever informed you seems to have had an agenda. The Crimea is a Russian-speaking area, so is, funnily enough, to a great extent KIEV!!! :)

• lorgnierl's Profile Photo

by lorgnierl Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 8:53 AM

you are right, it s ukrainia, but a lot of people came from russia and they speak russian (and sometimes ukrainian , but new rgeneration) 2 weeks ago, we received ukrainian girl and she speak only russian , her daughter speacki the both cause of school. lionel

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Re: Russian language course

by yumyum Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for your interesting answers so far. I know that there are Russian language courses which can be booked via a travel agent in Germany. Since I am considering a 2 weeks course and I have already done one in Pushkin and I am still a beginner struggeling with the grammar, it doesn't matter so much how pure the language is. After all it would also be a holiday with some sightseeing.

• lorgnierl's Profile Photo

by lorgnierl Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 11:17 AM

and this language is not so easy, more when you are european, and more if you are a typical stupid french but after croatian, it s seems me that i could be abble to learn more slavic language and i m ready to do it, evne more i ve a good teatcher (my wife) but our system of education is not good and i need a while to learn a language, and as all french i speack with an horrible french accent all languages !! privjet lionel

• IngaA's Profile Photo

by IngaA Online Now Nov 11, 2002 at 1:15 PM

But in KYIV (this is sorrect spell now , offiially taken and already orreyted in \oxford athlas and used in all reports of Unted Nations organisations and European Union statistics) more and more people speak Ukrainian. It is the language the childrenm are tought at shools and they speak both languages. That is normal, I suppose, at least country's citizens should speak the offiial language of the country. But sine in rimea there are people from all over ex-USSR, their language is Russian of course. So russian-speaking tourists do not have any problems there, at least related to the language.

• Adam_uk's Profile Photo

by Adam_uk Online Now Oct 9, 2004 at 3:59 AM

This has been repeated several times, but in Yalta everywhere is Russian and many people would look at you strangely if you spoke Ukrainian. Don't study in Yalta Sonia!! Yalta is ok for a few days, but it's not a place to stay more than that :o) Please believe me! Yalta is lovely in the summer, but at other times the town goes dead. A Ukrainian friend was even offered a job here over the summer translating and she turned it down saying that more than a few weeks would drive her mad :o) I studied in Kiev and the teachers were lovely and friendly and I think that there was a German speaking Russian teacher also. My teacher was very well educated and I think she spoke German, but I'm not 100% sure. As you know Trevor and others had problems at the other corrupt school through Travellers in Kiev :o) I went with another school and I'm sure to go back. No problems whatsoever with anything. Email me if you want information about this. Adam

by Adam_uk Online Now Oct 9, 2004 at 4:04 AM

Inga is right about Kyiv :o) Often people will speak both, but often people would start talking in Ukrainian before Russian if you respond in Russian in a foreign accent :o) Ukrainian is a powerful language and as soon as I have mastered Russian, I would like to learn Ukrainian :o) Unfortunately it is quite similar and I don't want to confuse myself before I've mastered Russian :o) Adam

by Adam_uk Online Now Oct 9, 2004 at 4:06 AM

Sorry, I said people in Yalta are Russian. It's not true. I meant "Russian speaking". Adam

• Re: Russian language course

by SilvaSpotia Online Now Mar 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Ukrainian is not similar to Russian at all. I speak fluently both of them and can say they are as similar as English and French! Russian has a lot of Ukrainian words like English French ones.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines