Wuhan Travel Answers

change location
soundchaseruk's Profile Photo

Booking Bullet Train in advance

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I will take the super fast train from Wuhan to Guangzhuo in October. Do i need to book the train ticket in advance? I will not be staying in Wuhan but will travel there by overnight train from Hangzhuo.

Where and how can i book a seat please?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • cal6060's Profile Photo

Re: Booking Bullet Train in advance

by cal6060 Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Hi, I am a little bit confused... are u purposely planning to take the overnight train to Wuhan to ride the new speed rail to Guangzhou?

You can only buy China Railway Ticket 10 days in advance. I suggest you to buy the ticket in any of the Railway Station in China when you first arrive China. Some hotel or tour company has the service to buy you the ticket, but they charge extra for the ticket as their commission.Unless you have good recommendation from someone, otherwise don't take the risk.

Recently, China Railway has a website allows passengers book ticket online, http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/ but the website is in Chinese. And they are not user friendly to foreigner. I never use the service.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • soundchaseruk's Profile Photo

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Thank you that is useful info. I arrive in China and then 6 days later will want to be on the high speed train, so if I can book before I go to China it would be great. Thank you

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I am going to have to talk to my Chinese friends here as the website doesn't fully translate on Google.

Do i need to book in advance for train from Hangzhou to Wuhan as well ?

by cal6060 Online Now Jul 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Yeah, someone knows how to read Chinese will be able to book the ticket for u online.

In fact, usually it is harder to buy the sleeper train ticket (Hangzhou - Wuhan) than the speed rail, as the speed rail is expensive for the average Chinese.

Why don't you just buy sleeper train from Hangzhou to Guangzhou?

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I could do that I suppose. Any advise on what bed to take? I hear hard sleeper are popular with travellers, but any advantages between taking a top , middle or bottom bed ?

I see from muztagh.com/china-train/hang... it takes a day but as long as you can buy food and drink on board I am sure it will be an interesting journey, and I will not have to worry about getting to Wuhan then changing for the bullet train.

it must be a good way to meet local Chinese people too.

I can book the train ticket easier I think from main train stations and maybe not 10 days in advance, as I only have 6 days before I travel

Thanks again

by cal6060 Online Now Jul 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I think the middle bed is the best

I have a suggestion: You can take sleeper train from Hangzhou to Fuzhou. You should reach there in the early morning, maybe stay one night.. catch the speed rail from Fuzhou to Xiamen (1 hour ride). Xiaman is a nice city to explore. From Xiamen take sleeper train to Guangzhou.

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 7, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Thank you again. I stayed in Xiamen in 2007 and enjoyed it and Gulanguo was lovely. My intention was to see the Hakkas in Yongding but it was a journey too far for me.

I think i prefer to leave Hangzhuo at 9pm sleep on train and enjoy the trip direct to Guangzhuo. I had a thought that as Chinese trains have dedicated seats I have to stay on my bed throughout the whole journey (unless there are spare seats in the main carriage. is this correct? I can book the train from Shaoxing or Hangzhou. I shall go and see the Impressions show on West Lake so i can book in advance then

by cal6060 Online Now Jul 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Sound great! I have not been to Yonding, please write more on your VT pages after visiting.

You don't have to stay in the bed all the time. Most people would hang out at the passageway near the windows. There are seats along the passageway.. prefect time to talk to the locals, but most locals don't speak English. Or good time to practice your Mandarin.

You can buy any train ticket in any Railway Stations in China. In big cities like Hangzhou, they have special window for foreigner who does not speak Mandarin.

If you have smart phone like Samsung Galaxy or iphone, download apps that help you to list out the train schedules. Once you know the train number,destination, and price, just write down on a paper. Show them the paper and pay them. App that i use: Xinyisoft (orange color and have a speed train) .

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Hi I do have a Samsung Galaxy so I shall try and find the app. I have printed off the train scheduled times and numbers from the internet, but will look for app too. Thank you this is very useful

• travellingtrude's Profile Photo

by travellingtrude Online Now Jul 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Travelled around China in a train, if you can afford it pay for a private cabin. If you do not want to shell out the extra cash, I would take the bottom bunk, the beds are thin and wonky and the top bunk extends all the way to the roof ( well nearly). China is a great place to visit, the transport system there is pretty good and plentiful, and I would buy my tickets as soon as you get there, public transport is widely used over there. The traffic is chaos!!

by soundchaseruk Online Now Jul 13, 2012 at 7:03 AM

A Chinese friend of mine said that being on the bottom bed means you can get disturbed by people sitting and chatting right by your bed. She said being on the top is safer. Its only one night so I shall make a decision soon and book when I get there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines