Würzburg Travel Answers

change location

Location of military barracks

by deardear Online Now Jul 25, 2006 at 8:45 AM

I have been trying to find the location - street address - of the military barracks used by the USA's First Infantry Division in Wurzburg back in 1954 and 1955. I recall that we would walk back to it after visiting the down town area by crossing the river on the bridge overwhich a streetcar on rails ran. We then walked to the right for several blocks.

At that time many of the buildings on the right had been destroyed and on the left, were many multi story buildings that were empty shells.

We were housed in German Army barracks that had several floors. We understood that the location housed a German Panzar unit. It also had some buildings which were mostly destroyed.

On a recent trip to Germany, I could not locate it as my memory was not good and time was short. I should have done better preparation, but thought that it would not be hard to find.

Perhaps it no longer exists even as housing for the general population.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • civilian's Profile Photo

RE: Location of military barracks

by civilian Online Now Jul 25, 2006 at 8:05 PM

sound like the baracs in the "Zellerau" in Wuerzburg. I still rember them, but they have been demolished in the early `90. ( mostlikly after the reduction after desert storm). why dont you have a look in google earth, to find out the street names. today the area is empty, all the baraks are demolished. the area is not far from Nuernberger strasse.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Location of military barracks

by deardear Online Now Jul 28, 2006 at 8:26 AM

Thank you for the info.

Best regards.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines