Wroclaw Travel Answers

change location
rmdw's Profile Photo

Lots to see in Wroclaw

by rmdw Online Now Dec 31, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I'm visiting Europe for only the 2nd time this coming year, 2012. One of the places I definitely plan to visit is Opole, as my dad was born there when it belonged to Germany. He had also often talked about Breslau (now Wroclaw). I don't know a thing about this place and am wondering if other tourists have had an enjoyable time visiting there for a few days?

If so then I'm thinking I could make that my "home base" while I find a way to visit tiny Opole for a few hours.

All ideas would be appreciated,

Robert

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Re: Lots to see in Wroclaw

by Paisleypaul Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 6:31 AM

A former colleague has invited me to Wroslaw and I may be going for the first time this year.
    Be aware that he European football championships co-hosted in Poland-Ukraine will mean everything, in terms of seats at a table for dinner through flights to hotel rooms, at a premium from mid June to early July.
    However the Wroslaw airport is well served by budget flights, e.g. Ryanair fly there from Glasgow, London and other locations.
    Look forward to reading how you got on later this year!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • rmdw's Profile Photo

by rmdw Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Paul,

I wasn't aware that the soccer tournament was happening then. Yikes, that may complicate things somewhat. An alternative plan I'm considering is heading right down to Prague after a wedding I'm attending in Potsdam in late May. Once in Prague I have a home base of sorts to store all my things. From there I could rent a car or use the train to take short trips in several directions.

So many options to consider!

Robert

• Re: Lots to see in Wroclaw

by Ivva Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Wroclaw is a wonderful city to visit - along with Krakow and Gdansk, it is in my top 3 Polish cities. Don't miss it.

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 3:31 AM

The football championship will start on June 6, and Wroclaw is one of the fourPolish host cities - so if you plan to travel during that time, accomodation might be scarce and prices go up. If you can weave your travel schwedule around, you might try to avoid coming during the Euro unless you want to soak in the atmosphere of a big sports event.

Wroclaw will definitely be a good base and has lots to offer. The city has been restored beautifully in the past 10-15 years and has a lively scene of pubs and restaurants, and a rich cultural live. It is also a city with a rich multicultural history. If you are interested in history, it is definitely worthwhile - donĀ“t give the university and its lovely aula a miss!

• 68maciek's Profile Photo

by 68maciek Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Think big. Dolny Slask, the region of which capital is Wroclaw, is a place for hikers, bikers, cross country skiers, history and an ald architecture fans.
    Lausitz region and Saxony in Germany has a lot to see. The same with Northern Bohemia.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines